It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 03:11

Text Size

Magic Data

General Discussion of the Intricacies

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Re: Magic Data

Postby BlackMamba » 05 Sep 2010, 22:54

Hi Arch, any reason why some instances have no collector's numbers? As far as I can tell, it's only for oldish sets (homelands, tempest, ...) Having collector numbers for all the blocks would really help me :)

Frank (for Mox)
BlackMamba

Postby Marek14 » 06 Sep 2010, 05:52

Basically, my problem with Unglued/Unhinged is that their texts are not updated like Oracle texts of other cards. Therefore, they are being left behind.

If people desire Un-cards, I'd ask for two versions of the text file, then, with and without.
Marek14
Tester

Postby Arch » 07 Sep 2010, 09:16

BlackMamba wrote:Hi Arch, any reason why some instances have no collector's numbers? As far as I can tell, it's only for oldish sets (homelands, tempest, ...) Having collector numbers for all the blocks would really help me :)

Frank (for Mox)
They didn't have collector's numbers back then so those cards have none.

I guess I could retrofit them. As far as I know you just order the cards by wubrg, gold, artifact, lands, basic lands and then sort each slot alphabetically. (Except for basic lands that should be wubrg as well.) Don't know how you would handle cards that have multiple version (different art) within a set though.

Does anyone know if retrofitting has been done before?

Marek14 wrote:If people desire Un-cards, I'd ask for two versions of the text file, then, with and without.
Check.
Arch
Programmer

Postby BlackMamba » 07 Sep 2010, 11:21

Arch wrote:They didn't have collector's numbers back then so those cards have none.
Oh, I didn't know that. I mainly ask because I use magiccards.info for card pictures, and their url scheme uses the collector's number. And even for old sets, there seems to be a number associated with each card. I'll try to find an order in this chaos :)

Frank
BlackMamba

Postby Marek14 » 07 Sep 2010, 12:50

Collector numbers started in Exodus (together with color-coded expansion symbols). As for cards with multiple pictures, I'd give a separate number to each version since they all got their own spot on the sheets... although it's handled differently for things like Brothers Yamazaki, I think...
Marek14
Tester

Postby Marek14 » 07 Sep 2010, 13:49

Crosspost from the Manalink board, since it concerns this topic as well:

Hello, I wanted to try and update the old Astral cards (as well as the Dreamcast cards) to new Oracle templates. However, to do it properly, I'll need some information. With proper Oracle templating, these cards could be lifted to other projects as well, if they want them.

I started from the HQ "scans" here.
The cards:

Aswan Jaguar
1GG
Creature - Cat
2/2
When Aswan Jaguar enters the battlefield, choose a creature type at random from among all creature types that a card in target opponent's decklist has.
GG, T: Destroy target creature with the chosen type. It can't be regenerated.

Unresolved issues:
1. Interaction with tribals - should a Lignify in opponent's deck allow "Treefolk" as a possible choice?
2. Should the first ability be triggered or replacement "As Aswan Jaguar enters the battlefield"?

I consider the "decklist" to be the contents of the library before the game started (so it takes into account sideboarding), but it's not affected by Seshiro the Anointed Avatar.
A single changeling or Mistform Ultimus in opponent's deck means the Jaguar can choose from among ALL creature types.
I changed the creature type to Cat.

Call from the Grave
2B
Sorcery
Choose a player at random. Choose a creature card in that player's graveyard at random and put it onto the battlefield under your control. Call from the Grave deals damage equal to that creature card's converted mana cost to you.

Unresolved issues:
1. Does it, in-game, choose a graveyard first, then a creature card, or does it choose a creature card from all graveyards? A way to test it would be to try it with one graveyard empty, and other containing creature cards. In first case, it should "fizzle" in 50% of cases.
2. Does it deal damage equal to the CMC of the creature in graveyard or on the battlefield? (This matters for things like Clone whose CMC might change once they are on the battlefield. Thinking about this, I'm not sure how Reanimate interacts with Clone...)

Faerie Dragon
2GG
Creature - Dragon
1/3
Flying
1GG: Perform a random action.

Faerie Dragon (and Whimsy) have a list of possible actions they can perform. What I want to know is:
1. Which actions are possible?
2. Is the action chosen on announcement or on resolution? What happens if it has targets? Are they replaced by random choice? If so, can an object with shroud be chosen?
3. Are all the actions equally likely?

Gem Bazaar
Land
When Gem Bazaar enters the battlefield, choose a color at random.
T: Add one mana of the last chosen color to your mana pool. Then choose a color at random.

Unresolved issues:
Like Aswan Jaguar -- "When" or "As"?

Goblin Polka Band
RR
Creature - Goblin
1/1
2, T: Choose any number of target creatures at random. Tap those creatures. Goblins tapped this way do not untap during their controllers' next untap steps. This ability costs R more to activate for each target.

Unresolved issues:
If a Goblin that's already tapped is targeted, will it be prevented from untapping?

Necropolis of Azar
2BB
Enchantment
Whenever a nonblack creature is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, put a husk counter on Necropolis of Azar.
5, Remove a husk counter from Necropolis of Azar: Put a X/Y black Spawn creature token named Spawn of Azar with swampwalk onto the battlefield, where X and Y are numbers chosen at random from 1 to 3.

This is pretty straightforward, I just gave the token a supported creature type.

Orcish Catapult
XRR
Instant
Randomly distribute X -0/-1 counters among a random number of random target creatures.

Unresolved issues:
I need to know what's the algorithm here. I suspect that it will select a random target for the first counter, random target for the second counter, and so on. This would mean that if you cast it with X=2 and there are two creatures, you would end up with two counters on creature A in 25% of cases, two counters on creature B in 25% of cases, and one counter on each in 50% of cases. Does it work like that?

Pandora's Box
Artifact
3, T: Choose a creature card at random from all players' decklists. For each player, flip a coin. If the flip ends up heads, put a token that's a copy of that creature card onto the battlefield under that player's control.

Unresolved issues:
Is the number of copies of a creature in the decklists taken into account? I.e. does a creature that's in four copies in both decks have 8 times greater chances to be picked than a creature that's one-of in one deck?

Otherwise, this should work like Aswan Jaguar, taking into account sideboarding but nothing else.

Power Struggle
2UUU
Enchantment
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, exchange control of a target artifact, creature or land that player controls, chosen at random, and a random target permanent that shares one of those types with it a player who is his or her opponent chosen at random.

Unresolved issues:
Is the opponent chosen first, then a permanent he or she controls? Similar problem as with Call from the Grave.

Prismatic Dragon
2WW
Creature - Dragon
2/3
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, Prismatic Dragon becomes a color chosen at random. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
2: Prismatic Dragon becomes a color chosen at random. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)

Rainbow Knights
WW
Creature - Human Knight
2/1
When Rainbow Knights enters the battlefield, it gains protection from a color chosen at random. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
1: Rainbow Knights gains first strike until end of turn.
WW: Rainbow Knights gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is a number chosen randomly from 0 to 2.

Unresolved issues:
"When" or "As"?

I updated the creature type

Whimsy
XUU
Sorcery
Perform X random actions.

I show my work on the Dreamcast cards as well:

Arden Angel
4WW
Creature - Angel
4/4
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Arden Angel is in your graveyard, choose a number from 1 to 4 at random. If it's 1, you may return Arden Angel onto the battlefield.

Ashuza's Breath
1R
Sorcery
Ashuza's Breath deals X damage to each creature, where X is a number chosen at random from 0 to 2.

Camato Scout
1UU
Creature - Merfolk Scout
2/3
When Camato Scout enters the battlefield, it gains landwalk of a basic land type chosen at random. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)

(I added the "Scout" type)

Hapato's Might
2B
Instant
Target creature gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is a number chosen randomly from 0 to 6.

Lydari Druid
2G
Creature - Human Druid
2/2
When Lydari Druid enters the battlefield, for each land, choose a basic land type at random. That land becomes that land type. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)

(I hope he IS a human, it's not completely clear. Also, the original text says "all lands become random basic lands"... might that mean that he actually gives them the Basic supertype?)

Lydari Elephant
4G
Creature - Elephant
*/*
Lydari Elephant enters the battlefield as a X/Y creature, where X and Y are numbers randomly chosen from 3 to 7.

Murgish Cemetery
4BB
Enchantment
3B, Discard a card: Put an X/X black Zombie token onto the battlefield, where X is a number randomly chosen from 2 to 6.

(I added the Zombie subtype to the token, based on the picture.)

Saji's Torrent
1U
Instant
Choose a number from 0 to 5 at random, then choose that many creatures and tap them.

(Not sure whether you can choose already tapped creatures or not. Also not sure what happens if the number chosen is larger than the total number of creatures on the battlefield. Do you tap all of them, or none because there is no legal choice?)

Tornellan Protector
2W
Creature - Human Cleric
1/2
T: Choose a number from 1 to 3 at random. Until end of turn, if a source would deal damage to target creature or player, it deals that much damage minus the chosen number to that creature or player instead.

(I added the Human subtype. I assume that the number is only chosen once. I worded the effect without the word "prevent" since it's not used in the original text.)

Velican Dragon
5RR
Creature - Dragon
5/5
Flying
Whenever Velican Dragon becomes blocked, it gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is a number chosen at random from 0 to 5.
Marek14
Tester

Postby atastypie » 07 Sep 2010, 14:40

RE: Un*. I didn't realize they were such a pain to import. I would like this data, but for un* I can easily get by with only the card name. Does anyone know of an alternative data source that I can use to import card names?
atastypie

Postby Arch » 07 Sep 2010, 21:34

If you just want the names you could just copy-paste them from gatherer or similar source.
Arch
Programmer

Postby Marek14 » 21 Sep 2010, 07:23

The Scars of Mirrodin spoiler should be released at midnight. Not sure if Gatherer will be updated right away, but... be ready :)
Marek14
Tester

Postby Arch » 21 Sep 2010, 17:29

Operators are standing by.
Doesn't seem like there's that much interest in the astral cards (judging from the manalink thread) so I guess you could considered them to be 'done'. Want me to include them in the data?
Arch
Programmer

Postby Marek14 » 21 Sep 2010, 18:19

I guess you can include the Dreamcast cards, which are more clear... I have to research the astral ones more...
Marek14
Tester

Postby Marek14 » 24 Sep 2010, 09:14

The SOM is in Gatherer now.
Marek14
Tester

Postby Arch » 24 Sep 2010, 16:03

Gatherer update and also included Dreamcast cards.

Link
Arch
Programmer

Postby Marek14 » 24 Sep 2010, 18:27

The Dreamcast cards should have an expansion code... Magic Workstation uses code "SDC" for them.

EDIT: It also seems that the promo cards show rarity (S) now, but still no set code.
Marek14
Tester

Postby Arch » 26 Sep 2010, 15:23

Link

I named the promo set code as PRO and added SDC.

According to wikipedia the duel-decks set codes have changed some reason. I did not change them in the data but rather added Elspeth v. Tezzeret as EVT. What is actually being used seems to differ from site to site. The only real official source for set codes that I know of is http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... zards/0804 and that's not complete. Unless someone has any objections or better ways of getting set codes I'll just keep it as it is for now.
Arch
Programmer

PreviousNext

Return to Magic Rules Engine Programming