It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 06:51

Text Size

Magic Data

General Discussion of the Intricacies

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Re: Magic Data

Postby Arch » 07 May 2014, 09:43

Managed to name both files the same. Fixed.
Arch
Programmer

Postby friarsol » 05 Jun 2014, 16:01

And Conspiracy is up on Gatherer now.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Arch » 10 Jun 2014, 17:14

Updated first post with new links.
Arch
Programmer

Postby Marek14 » 23 Jun 2014, 22:20

Rarity information for Windbrisk Heights is weird:

R, LRW R, V12 M
Marek14
Tester

Postby Arch » 25 Jun 2014, 11:49

"Modern Event Deck 2014" was introduced in gatherer. Need to add that to the data as well, otherwise it's not picked up. Fixing.
Arch
Programmer

Postby swordshine » 09 Jul 2014, 12:35

Magic 2015 is up now.
swordshine

Postby Arch » 12 Jul 2014, 16:39

Updated first post with new links.
Arch
Programmer

Postby randian » 13 Jul 2014, 12:00

Why is the Magic 2015 set titled "Magic 2015 Core Set", rather than matching the previous "Magic 201X" sets which are simply titled "Magic 201X"?
randian

Postby Arch » 14 Jul 2014, 03:28

Wizards decided to name it so. All names are fetched from gatherer.
Arch
Programmer

Postby proud » 14 Aug 2014, 04:08

I don’t like the wordings for the Sega Dreamcast cards. They all use obsolete grammar.

Here are updated rules:

Arden Angel
Code: Select all
Flying

At the beginning of your upkeep, if Arden Angel is in your graveyard, choose a number between 1 and 4 at random. If it's 1, you may return Arden Angel to the battlefield.
Ashuza's Breath
As an additional cost to cast Ashuza's Breath, choose a number between 0 and 2 at random.

Ashuza's Breath deals X damage to each creature, where X is the chosen number.
Camato Scout
As Camato Scout enters the battlefield, choose a basic land type at random.

Camato Scout has landwalk of the chosen type.
Hapato's Might
As an additional cost to cast Hapato's Might, choose a number between 0 and 6 at random.

Target creature gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the chosen number.
Lydari Druid
As Lydrai Druid enters the battlefield, for each land, choose a basic land type at random. That land is the chosen land type.
Lydrai Elephant
As an additional cost to cast Lydrai Elephant, choose two numbers between 0 and 6 at random.

Lydrai Elephant's power is equal to the first chosen number and its toughness is equal to the second chosen number.
Murgish Cemetery
3B, Discard a card: Choose a number between 2 and 6 at random. Put a black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield. Its power and toughness are each equal to the chosen number.
Saji's Torrent
As an additional cost to cast Saji's Torrent, choose a number between 0 and 5 at random.

Tap X creatures, where X is the chosen number.
Tornellan Protector
{T}: Choose a number between 1 and 3 at random. If a source would deal damage to target creature or player, it deals that much damage minus the chosen number to that creature or player instead.
Velican Dragon
When Velican Dragon becomes blocked, choose a number between 0 and 5 at random. It gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the chosen number.
Explanation

Arden Angel
Like Nether Spirit with a die roll.

Ashuza's Breath, Hapato's Might, Saji's Torrent and others
There are no legal Magic cards that ask to choose numbers betwen two numbers at random. Liquid Fire does say how to choose a number between two numbers. Some of the rules for the Sega Dreamcast cards in the xml file had said “randomly choose,” which cannot be found on any other Magic cards — the word “randomly” is used on Gerrymandering, but is talking about dealing cards, not choosing numbers. However, the wording “at random” is well-established (“discard a card at random” probably being the most common occurrence) so using that together seemed right.

Camato Scout
Basically a less fancy Traveler's Cloak and close to Giant Slug. The reminder text is not needed, just as Order of the Stars and Voice of All do not. (I believe the reason is because the creature begins with the ability as opposed to gaining the ability.)

Lydari Druid
Convincing Mirage is close, except it’s random and affects all lands. Scrambleverse is actually pretty close. Much like how Blackmail says “that player” to reference the first subject, “that land” is used here.

Lydari Elephant
Borrows heavily from Shapeshifter and Illusionary Terrain.

Murgish Cemetery
Ritual of the Returned does this very similarly (zombies too!) and Jagged-Scar Archers is one of many with */*.

Tornellan Protector
Almost perfect, like Lashknife Barrier. Careful, don't use "target" more than once unless you mean to choose multiple targets, which we don’t. (Though I’m still curious if it was originally designed to work like Acolyte's Reward. Translations on the Internet seem to point to the former, as currently written.)

Velican Dragon
Like many cards, the latest being Akroan Hopllite and Thunderous Might.
aka ancestral, mproud
MTG.Design
proud

Postby Marek14 » 14 Aug 2014, 04:49

For Ashuza's Breath, Hapato's Might, Lydari Druid and Saji's Torrent, I question whether it's a right choice to choose the random number as additional cost, i.e. on announcement. I think it should be on resolution as knowing the random choice when reacting to the spell seems strange. Not even Saji's Torrent needs that because it doesn't target.
Marek14
Tester

Postby proud » 14 Aug 2014, 09:59

Marek14 wrote:For Ashuza's Breath, Hapato's Might, Lydari Druid and Saji's Torrent, I question whether it's a right choice to choose the random number as additional cost, i.e. on announcement. I think it should be on resolution as knowing the random choice when reacting to the spell seems strange. Not even Saji's Torrent needs that because it doesn't target.
That’s an interesting thought. In other words, if someone is casting the spell, their opponent might be more inclined to counter it if it’s a higher number. If the random number is chosen after the spell resolves, it leaves more up for chance.

I think you may be right here. Does anyone actually own the Sega Dreamcast game and confirm that's how it works? (Was it a Japan-only release?)
aka ancestral, mproud
MTG.Design
proud

Postby Marek14 » 14 Aug 2014, 14:37

Well, there are clues that the selection should be on resolution. For one thing, that would make all cards work the same (for things like Arden Angel or Velikan Dragon triggered ability there's no real possibility of pre-selection); the Elephant would be handled similarly to Molten Sentry. Also, Saji's Torrent could use targeting if the number was selected beforehand, but it does not. Plus, almost all other random effects in Magic (like coin flips or selections for Tyrant of Discord) are also handled on resolution -- only such effect on announcement I'm aware of is random discard which occurs in costs.
Marek14
Tester

Postby proud » 18 Aug 2014, 08:00

I’ve had time to think about this.

I question why these digital promotional cards are even here in the first place, especially while other promo cards aren’t. But honestly, these digital cards from MicroProse and SEGA are a travesty. They weren’t designed by Wizards, and for good reason, they’re not featured in The Gatherer. I get that Magic apps around here use this data, and some of them are trying to incorporate the old digital cards, but either then use all the promo cards, or better, just leave them all out.

So yeah, I’m done trying to fix these rules. They don’t deserve fixing.
aka ancestral, mproud
MTG.Design
proud

Postby Arch » 20 Aug 2014, 10:44

I'm not going to remove anything since you can just filter cards you are not interested in. (Either by rarity or set in your case.) Also what gatherer does is not really a good guide. It does contain some promo cards such as Nalathni Dragon and Sewers of Estark but are missing others.

All of the promos are not included as they have not been requested. Cards that are currently being added that are not in gatherer can be found here: https://github.com/karmag/loa/blob/277a ... /extra.clj
Arch
Programmer

PreviousNext

Return to Magic Rules Engine Programming