It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 17:24

Text Size

Wizards Rules - Magic Set Faqs and Saturday School

General Discussion of the Intricacies

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Wizards Rules - Magic Set Faqs and Saturday School

Postby mtgrares » 10 Dec 2009, 20:52

I'm sure you know about the Comprehensive Rules but each set also gets its own FAQ which is very useful.

Magic Set FAQs

Wizards used to have a weekly column named "Saturday School" which answered specific rules questions. Unfortunately they stopped publishing the column in 2004 and removed the "search Saturday School" function. You can still use Google to search through the Saturday School archives. I learned most of the intricacies of Magic by reading this column. Saturday School is a goldmine of useful information.

The only downside is that you can't search for a current card name and find rules relating to that card. For a rules questions about a current card, first look at the Magic Set FAQ to see if that answers your question but if it doesn't search Saturday School.

Sample Google Search:
site:http://www.wizards.com/Magic/ "Saturday School #" protection

This searches for articles that mention protection.

site:http://www.wizards.com/Magic/ "Saturday School #" "Wrath of God"

Searches for articles about Wrath of God. You should put card names in quotes because without it Google interprets it as
Code: Select all
Search for the word "Wrath" and search for the word "of" and search for the word "God"
p.s.
I didn't know what the "if such-and-such condition exists you can pay" on the trap cards where called but the Magic Set Zendikar FAQ answered my question and said it was an alternative cost. (If you knew the answer to this question, I really do hate you.)
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Re: Wizards Rules - Magic Set Faqs and Saturday School

Postby Marek14 » 10 Dec 2009, 23:03

Well, it's a special case of alternative cost - you can also have alternative costs without conditions attached, as on Bringers or Force of Will.
Marek14
Tester

Return to Magic Rules Engine Programming