It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 09:53

Text Size

Gwar's Tweaked ProxyGen (OLD THREAD DO NOT USE)

by Nate and Snacko

Moderators: Snacko, CCGHQ Admins

Gwar's Tweaked ProxyGen (OLD THREAD DO NOT USE)

Postby BaconCatBug » 16 Feb 2011, 03:13

THIS THREAD IS DEPRICATED AND SHOULD NOT BE USED. PLEASE VISIT THE NEW THREAD HERE!

Credits | Open
  • Nate and Snacko for making and maintaining the thing in the first place.
  • Chaoslord for his Planewalker help.
  • White Dragon for making epic Rarity Symbols.
  • aurelain for getting high quality card images.
  • Richard Garfield for making Magic and WotC for keeping it going strong.
  • Odin, for getting rid of all the Ice Giants.
Introduction | Open
Hello everyone. My name is Gwar, and I am a crazy person. By that I mean crazy about Nates/Snacko's Proxy Generator, which is the best thing to ever be made, ever! Because of it, it's super MEGA easy to have up to date proxies when playing casually or up to date card images when playing online.

That being said, there are a few niggles here and there, which being the insanotron that I am, took upon myself to fix.

But first of all, a summary. This package is intended to be a single complete and easy to install way of generating up to date Oracle wording proxies/images of every "normal" magic set. By that, I mean all the regular blocks and core sets, without reprint sets (like Chronicles), the Un- sets, the "Starter" sets, "Casual" sets (Archenemy, Planechase etc), release and pre-release cards and other promos (like 1996 World Champion or the MPR cards). In addition, Vanguard Avatars, Planes and Sorcerers Apprentice data has been removed, as these just clog up the rendering and are never used. The final removal are the removals of Alpha and Beta. Why? Because Unlimited is the exact same. There is no need to waste space having 2 extra folders of the exact same cropped art and time by rendering the same card 3 times.

If you need any of the removed stuff, simply re-import the Masterbase and get the Sets.txt and Formats.txt from Snacko's packages, as the ones here have the chaff removed.

I have, however, included Duel Decks, the Coldsnap theme decks and From the Vault sets, as they have either alternate art or other unique goodness. This was done by directly deleting the unused sets from the cards.csv file.

In addition, I have edited the scripts slightly to use .png rarity symbols rather than .gif symbols (Vector symbols made by White Dragon) as well as including better quality card base images (of particular note is the much improved Blue base card, although there is far, FAR more than that), which were kindly posted by aurelain.

I have also taken the liberty of updating the titleToLandColors file to allow for the Commander lands to be rendered and have included a GaramondBI.tff file (and edited the config files acordingly) so that Post-8th cards with "en-" or "-il" in their title have them rendered in italics. The fonts have also been subtly hacked so the spacing between letters and quotation marks should match real cards better.
Differences between this version and Snackos version | Open
  • Useless sets such as Chronicles, Beatdown and the Un-Sets have been cleared from the Cards.csv file, as well as redundant Portal entries.
  • JTMS Finally works! Thanks chaoslord!
  • Higher quality PNG expansion symbols instead of GIF expansion symbols.
  • Four Ability Planeswalkers! (Only in blue though! EXTRA SPECIAL THANKS TO CHAOSLORD FOR THIS!)
  • Colourless Eldrazi.
    Config files moved to their own folder for neatness.
  • No more duplicated rarity icons.
  • Mana symbols replaced by ones derived from Goblin Hero's vector symbols. Most noticeable with the 10+ Colourless mana symbols.
  • Support for Colourless mana from 0 to 20, 100 and 1,000,000 :D
  • Fonts have been hacked and tweaked and other cool words to better improve the spacing between letters and in particular the Closing Single and Double quotes.
  • Coldsnap Theme Decks render correctly out of the box (as long as you use the included deckfiles for them).
FAQ | Open
FAQ:
Q) How do I get Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, 4th edition and 5th edition to render with an expansion symbol?
A) Copy the files found in ~/images/rarity/Unused to ~/images/rarity

Q) How can I get Exodus to use it's grey and black common symbol?
A) Copy EXO_C from ~/images/rarity/Alt to ~/images/rarity and overwrite.

Q) How can I get pre-Exodus sets to render only "real" (i.e. all black and grey) Expansion symbols?
A) Copy the files found in ~/images/rarity/Alt (except the EXO_C file if you don't want it) to ~/images/rarity and overwrite.

Q) Why won't my planeswalkers come out right?
A) Your art and overlays are not correctly sized.

Q) Why won't my Eldrazi come out right?
A) You need to delete the cropped art from your cropped art folder. The following Eldrazi do not need it:

Q) Why don't my cards look exactly the same as the printed ones?
A) Many reasons. First is that the Proxies use Oracle wording, not the original wording. Second is that you are most likely using a slightly different font, which even a tiny change can build up. Lastly, does it really matter? :P

Q) WTF? I just want <inset set here> but the bloody thing keeps rendering all the basic lands from all sets (as well as reprints/previous versions), what gives???
A) By default, the setting "output.card.set.directories" in config.txt is set to 1, which means that when you render a sets decklist, all the proxies get output to a folder with the sets code. This means, however, it will render ALL printings of a given card. Your best bet is to just let it be, so if you do end up rendering another set, you won't waste time re-rendering basic lands over and over again. Turning this off (by setting it to 0) puts all the pictures directly into the output folder (with the correct art/frame/flavour etc) without rendering other sets versions, but if you forget to move them to another folder, any duplicates will be overwritten if you render another sets decklist.

Q) Why do some of my cards come out with no artwork? I have the crops, and they are named right!
A) They aren't named right, obviously. :roll: Even a single letter out of case in the crops name (Aether instead of AEther, for example) will cause it to fail. To fix it, copy the name of the rendered image, delete it, rename the crop to that exact name and re-render.

Q) Why. Is. My. Serendib. Efreet. GREEN!!!3!!!11!11tehonez!11!1!!
A) Because it's the Revised Edition render. I set the cards.csv to register the card frame as green, not blue, in honour of the most iconic misprint in magic history (other than that OMFGBBQ rare blue Hurricane).
Linux FAQ | Open
Q) How I herp de derp on Derp Derp Derpado? (If you use Linux, this will make sense.)
  1. Install PHP5. How you do so is up to your distro. I have no idea what binding packages are needed either, so just install them all.
  2. Use the .sh files by running them in a terminal. Since I have no idea what distro or DE or WM you are using, do it however you want.
  3. If you get errors about being unable to read ".temp", you need to make a symlink to .temp (which is in the main proxygen folder) in your root directory and change the permissions so anyone can edit it. Why this is I have no idea, but it fixes the problem which means you won't need to resort to a VM.
  4. It really REALLY doesn't like spaces in the path to the generator, so don't have any. Again, no idea why and I don't particularly care.
Things that do not work (yet?) | Open
  1. Levelers < Need someone to make the image resources.
  2. Futureshifted Cards < See above. As for crops that will work, that's not my area.
  3. Zendikar Full Art Basic Lands < These won't ever work because there is no need to ever update the text on them because they don't have text printed on them.
  4. Scars of Mirrodin block Dual Lands lack Watermarks < SOMEONE MAEK PLZ!
Downloads | Open
  1. Proxygen Data and Images: http://www.mediafire.com/?u93k9y73lp9zlj8
  2. IMPORTANT!!!! ProxyGen Data/Scripts/Images/Planeswalker/Cream Cheese Patch (29/07/2011): http://www.mediafire.com/?pvlmjrro4ncb7c3
  3. Linux Scripts: http://www.mediafire.com/?13dkml1x1gzz7nx
Attachments
White Border.png.zip
(494 Bytes) Downloaded 1054 times
Last edited by Snacko on 10 Feb 2013, 21:47, edited 58 times in total.
Reason: unstick
BaconCatBug
Apprentice

Re: Gwar's Tweaked ProxyGen (SOM&MBS Watermarks&Updated Card

Postby Burnf » 18 Feb 2011, 00:38

Awesome work!
Burnf

Postby Burnf » 18 Feb 2011, 00:42

The cardgen used to be compatible with the deckgen. You could put them in the same directory. When I try this with yours, I see unrecognized set DDF for card: Abolish. Guessing having to do with your set restructuring. Don't suppose you know what file I need to replace to make your program compatible with the deckgen?
Burnf

Postby Huggybaby » 18 Feb 2011, 01:39

Assuming I had all the paid fonts, would the cards render using them out of the box?
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby BaconCatBug » 18 Feb 2011, 01:52

To quickly answer a question I was asked via PM: Yes, the Banned/Restricted lists have been updated and are included in the large zip above, so your decklist cards won't say Survival is legal anymore! :twisted:
Burnf wrote:The cardgen used to be compatible with the deckgen. You could put them in the same directory. When I try this with yours, I see unrecognized set DDF for card: Abolish. Guessing having to do with your set restructuring. Don't suppose you know what file I need to replace to make your program compatible with the deckgen?
Yeah, sorry for that.

Looked into it, found the problem, facepalmed with the fury of a thousand suns!

I simply forgot to update the sets.txt and formats.txt files in the Data folder to reflect the hacked up cards.csv. :D

I have also gone and removed the Alternate printings of some of the Portal cards. These were the same card, same art, just no flavour text. Pointless to have (since you can toggle that on and off) and thus removed.

I've added both the updated cards.csv and the fixed formats/sets.txt to the zip below. Simply extract it to wherever you put the card gen and overwrite the current files. This also includes the fixing of Blightsteel's Mana cost.

I have also included a free Proxy of Jace, the Mind Sculptor, courtesy of (once again) White Dragon and his excellent template .psd's. Simply put it into your programs Worldwake (WWK) folder and away you go!

And One very last final change: I forgot to add GaramondBI.ttf to the Post 8th config file to render "en-" and "il-" without the Matrix Font. That's added too!
Huggybaby wrote:Assuming I had all the paid fonts, would the cards render using them out of the box?
Yay, a Huggybaby post! -Sequels like a Schoolgirl- :D

As for Out-The-Box, it depends on your definition. ;) The Post 8th config file is set up to use those fonts if they are in the /fonts/ folder, but if they are not to use the Garamond fonts. You just have to make sure the Matrix fonts are named correctly. See the post 8th config file for what you need to name them.

*Update: Patch is Deprecated. Use the one in the OP*
Last edited by BaconCatBug on 27 Feb 2011, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
BaconCatBug
Apprentice

Postby Huggybaby » 18 Feb 2011, 02:11

The Post 8th config file is set up to use those fonts if they are in the /fonts/ folder, but if they are not to use the Garamond fonts. You just have to make sure the Matrix fonts are named correctly. See the post 8th config file for what you need to name them.
Thanks for confirming that. Now to find my fonts...
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Huggybaby » 18 Feb 2011, 03:03

I remember now, the fonts are available from HQCG-images-8.2.10.rar at http://www.slightlymagic.net/component/ ... rtdown/14/. Just another reason NMCG makes better looking proxies than anyone else.

Has anyone ever made a side-by-side comparison of the output from NMCG and the competition?

<edit> I think the guy you want to credit whose name you couldn't find might be aurelain. His post is at viewtopic.php?p=52305#p52305 and he upgraded a lot more images than only the blue frames.

As you can tell I'm excited about having the latest tweaked out version all in one piece and available to all.

<edit> My download speed of your package is terrible, for some reason I have a problem with this site. Maybe your next update could be uploaded to Mediafire or multiupload?
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby BaconCatBug » 18 Feb 2011, 04:04

Huggybaby wrote:Has anyone ever made a side-by-side comparison of the output from NMCG and the competition?
There is competition? :shock:

BTW, please let me know if you come across any errors. I know snacko is still working on this (more power to him) but I am a perfectionist and would upload a patch right away. :)

No idea what this "competition" is, but here is a side by side comparison of "Commercial Matrix Fonts" vs "Free Garamond Fonts" vs "HQ Full Scan".
There is no comparison of the rendered Pre-8th cards because there are no differences but here is a comparison of a render vs a HQ scan anyway. ;) As you can see, however, there is a very strong difference between the Matrix font (the "right one") and the Garamond Font.

And yeah, Aurelian PM'd me as well. I'm gonna add his name to the main post now. :) I can't use mediafire because flash keeps crashing, so I'll upload to sendspace instead. I have a terrible Upload speed though, so It will take a while. :'(
Elvish Champion (Click for higher Res) | Open

Concentrate (Click for Higher Res) | Open
BaconCatBug
Apprentice

Postby Huggybaby » 18 Feb 2011, 04:36

1) Thanks for those comparison shots.

2) Oh, there's lots of competition! The first to look at is MSE at http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

3) Have you seen all the latest updates in Snacko's Mediafire folder?
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby BaconCatBug » 18 Feb 2011, 05:03

1) No problem. Btw, here is the Sendspace link for you: http://www.sendspace.com/file/m78gls The patch I assume you can DL from here as it's so small.

2) Ah, yes. MSE. I've used it before, it's a nice program, albeit with rather low quality resources. I wonder if they can be replaced. I was thinking about using it's Future Sight frames and patching them into here, but I didn't bother because they are too small. It's GUI is very nice for making custom cards, but not so nice for making proxies, especially en mass (I just made proxies of every Core Set, Expert Set and Duel Deck/FTV in less than 2 hours :P). It's not so much competition as it is filling separate niche's imo. I also can't get it to compile properly and it crashes via wine. Doh!

3) From what I can tell, the only update this year were the Improved DotPW textures, or am I missing something?

4) Any chance you could pull some strings with the Scan people and get the full artwork for the eldrazi cards (i.e. the pics behind the frame. I've found some but not all of them) as well as crops of the futureshifted cards (but cropped so that the full oval of art is there, not just the but above the type line) and the full art nilla's. I know it bleeds in, but I can edit around that, I just don't have the tools to mass Crop the fulls (and I don't know if you have high-er res ones or no).
BaconCatBug
Apprentice

Postby Huggybaby » 18 Feb 2011, 06:48

1) sendspace works much better, thank you.

3) All the official downloads are 3.2.10, but in his folder Snacko has some 3.2.11 stuff which I think is unreleased but not secret. Snacko would have to tell us if those updates are finished and usable, but I'd check them out.

4) I'll look into what's available and get back to you.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Burnf » 18 Feb 2011, 12:21

I received a different error at opening. Not sure if this is all related to it missing an UN card (R&D's Secret Lair) or something else.

The error message text | Open
arcane.ArcaneException: Card not found: R&D's Secret Lair
    at arcane.Arcane.getCards(Arcane.java:178)
    at arcane.Arcane$DataLoader.loadManaProduced(Arcane.java:704)
    at arcane.Arcane$DataLoader.loadCardData(Arcane.java:545)
    at arcane.Arcane$DataLoader.load(Arcane.java:453)
    at arcane.util.Loader.run(Loader.java:95)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

arcane.ArcaneException: Card not found: R&D's Secret Lair
    at arcane.Arcane.getCards(Arcane.java:178)
    at arcane.Arcane$DataLoader.loadManaProduced(Arcane.java:704)
    at arcane.Arcane$DataLoader.loadCardData(Arcane.java:545)
    at arcane.Arcane$DataLoader.load(Arcane.java:453)
    at arcane.util.Loader.run(Loader.java:95)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
arcane.ArcaneException: Arcane initialization aborted.
    at arcane.Arcane.setup(Arcane.java:109)
    at arcane.deckbuilder.ui.DeckBuilder.main(DeckBuilder.java:2777)
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at javax.swing.text.FlowView$FlowStrategy.layoutRow(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.text.FlowView$FlowStrategy.layout(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.text.FlowView.layout(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.text.BoxView.setSize(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.text.BoxView.updateChildSizes(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.text.BoxView.setSpanOnAxis(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.text.BoxView.layout(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.text.BoxView.setSize(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTextUI$RootView.setSize(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTextUI$RootView.paint(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTextUI.paintSafely(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTextUI.paint(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTextUI.update(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.paintComponent(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JViewport.paint(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JLayeredPane.paint(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.paintToOffscreen(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paintDoubleBuffered(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paint(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paint(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.GraphicsCallback$PaintCallback.run(Unknown Source)
    at sun.awt.SunGraphicsCallback.runOneComponent(Unknown Source)
    at sun.awt.SunGraphicsCallback.runComponents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.paint(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Window.paint(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.RepaintManager.seqPaintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.SystemEventQueueUtilities$ComponentWorkRequest.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Oddly the second time I ran it I only got card missing R&D... and then the arcan init abort
Burnf

Postby BaconCatBug » 18 Feb 2011, 13:25

There are no Un cards supported in this tweaked version, mainly because they never get errata and have art flying about all over the place so making up to date proxies with crops is pointless.

Are you trying to render an Un Card? If you are, grab the Cards.csv from snackos package or reimport the master base.
BaconCatBug
Apprentice

Postby Burnf » 18 Feb 2011, 16:11

I'm trying to get Deck Builder working with your database.

This is just a fanciful thought, but any chance of maybe allowing for modular additions for sets that aren't part of the core? So that the sets parser would check the cards.csv first then add in additional UNH.csv or what have you sets?
Burnf

Postby BaconCatBug » 21 Feb 2011, 11:32

Ok, a quick update for you all.

I have figured out how to render alternate frames. It's actually really easy. The hard part is getting the images made and tweaking the text locations.

All I need to do is make the Frames now. :\ I'll do the Eldrazi first, the hard part there is finding the full artwork. :(
BaconCatBug
Apprentice

Next

Return to HQ Card Generator