It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 21:12

Text Size

What kind of printer would be best?

by Nate and Snacko

Moderators: Snacko, CCGHQ Admins

What kind of printer would be best?

Postby JakeCourtney » 20 Mar 2011, 08:40

What printer would be best for printing the proxies generated with the make page generator? I know you print at 315dpi, but anyone here recommend a certain printer?

I'm thinking color laser just for the longer life span of the toner, but I'm sure inkjet gives better image results, however that is besides the point when I could just buy the cards for the cost of an ink cartridge.

I'm not going for near perfect, but I'd like to have color proxies that have perfectly readable text on them.

Also would I improve readability if I printed on a certain type of paper? Either glossy, photo, or some kind of paper stock perhaps? They would be going in sleeves so a thick paper stock isn't a must I wouldn't think.
JakeCourtney

Re: What kind of printer would be best?

Postby woogerboy21 » 20 Mar 2011, 15:39

It really depends on whst medium you are printing on. Did you plan on printing just on cardstock or did you plan on blanking card faces? I've used both for printing before and found inkjets tend to blur if you do things like use acetone to blank card faces for printing directly onto card backings. I personally like using my laserjet. But will say I can usually achievericher colora with less effortusing inkjet. As far as brand I would recommend a model that has a direct paper feed tray since getting some of the larger paper feed trays to feed card backings rigged to paper templates cause jams.
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Re: What kind of printer would be best?

Postby JakeCourtney » 20 Mar 2011, 18:04

I would really just want something that could be printed on whatever medium that would give the clearest text. I'm probably going to trim the printouts down and put them in a sleeve with a land card. So basically could print on anything that would give the best results.

I know some of the cards with a lot of text can be hard to read at times.
JakeCourtney

What kind of printer would be best

Postby Petrsew » 15 Aug 2019, 17:18

I liked the kob that was on my WW2 surplus J38 that I got in 1960. Still use it for some QRS QSOs.
It's always hooked up along with my bug and paddles, ready to go.
Petrsew

Return to HQ Card Generator