It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 10:24

Text Size

Card Stock Weight?

by Nate and Snacko

Moderators: Snacko, CCGHQ Admins

Card Stock Weight?

Postby JakeCourtney » 24 Mar 2011, 03:00

What card stock weight do they use for Magic cards? I've tried printing some proxy cards on 110lb card stock paper and it's still to flimsy to be able to use them alone in a Ultra Pro sleeve without a land card in there for support.

Is there a stiffer card stock available that would be firm enough to go in a sleeve by itself. Right now I print them out on regular paper and put them in a sleeve with a land card. This works, however it makes the deck itself quite large.
JakeCourtney

Re: Card Stock Weight?

Postby Mxyzplik » 01 Aug 2011, 23:51

I'd like to know this too. I've had the same issue as above but what I'd really like to do is print off same over-size proxies for Archenemy and Planechase now that I see there's sleeves for those on the market.
Mxyzplik

Postby BaconCatBug » 02 Aug 2011, 05:59

MTG don't use standard card stock. They use a custom 3 layer process that is much more durable than just normal card (and also superspecialsekret).

Your best bet is to just use thin paper on top of a land card, or simply double up on card.
BaconCatBug
Apprentice

Postby Snacko » 02 Aug 2011, 09:41

Go to the company that prints the cards and ask them:
Magic: The Gathering Commander was printed by a company called Carta Mundi. Carta Mundi is one of the premier print facilities in the world for games, and they are actually the same company that printed the very first Magic cards in 1993. Eighteen years later they're still making Magic cards, and I travelled to one of their facilities in the US to watch Tariel and the rest of the Magic: The Gathering Commander cards take physical form.
@Gwar
Yes they use a blue/black layer in between. You can see how it looks in the article http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... eature/209
Snacko
DEVELOPER

Postby BaconCatBug » 02 Aug 2011, 11:01

I really doubt Carta Mundi will just TELL you something like that. ;)
BaconCatBug
Apprentice

Return to HQ Card Generator