It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 16:12

Text Size

HQ Card generator 8.x

by Nate and Snacko

Moderators: Snacko, CCGHQ Admins

HQ Card generator 8.x

Postby Snacko » 28 May 2008, 22:39

Short description what it does:
This utility generates high quality, 736x1050 proxies that use the latest oracle text. Because the images are generated from scratch (except the art), all the cards are pixel perfect and consistent. All existing cards are supported, including multicolored, dual and flip cards. Art is chosen randomly, but all available art images for a card will be used before the same image is used twice. This means when you generate a deck, all Swamps (for example) will have a different art. Utility accepts deck lists in CSV and MWS formats.
HQ Crops Flips/Splits/Planeswalkers
Thanks go to Halfcat for Planeswalkers, extreme and rest of HQ pics team for the rest.

Changelog:
    * English cards up to ARB
    * some fixes to render cards as Wizards does with all the hybrid mana on artifacts
    * modified the option card.artifact.color = 1,2 ; now it should list the number of colors that use colored overlay, all the other get the gold overlay
    * fixes for card importing as it broke when php was downgraded
    * some bugfixes
    * downgrade to php5
    * now all the set abreviations are used for card image and set icon seach for example Tenth Edition will search for directories 10ED 10TH and 10E so it aligns itself with MWS 2 letter set abrev while using 3 set abrev internally
    * new planeswalker frames
    * updated to CFX
    * updated some rarity symbols
    * non english Artifact rendering
    * other small fixes
    * strip (1), (2) etc from names, needed for duplicate foreign card names
8.2.6 v2
    * previous version had old sets / formats / land colors files included
    * minor bugfixes
    * added a bunch of languages
    * updated to ALA (no version bump form orgianl 8.2.6)
2.9.5 (mislabeled 8.2.5 :oops:)
  • added planeswalkers renderer and resources
eventide-bugfix
  • updated cards up to Eventide
  • updated legality
  • added a higher quality version of cardback (not used anywhere)
  • all the fixes so far from 8.2.3

Files
You can download all the files from SlightyMagic site.
The packages from the site correspond to mediafire links as follows:
HQCG Core 8.2.10
    * 8.2.10-main.7z
    * 8.2.9-images-rarity.7z
HQCG Images 8.2.10
    * 8.2.9-images-vanguard.7z
    * 8.2.9-images-preEighth.7z
    * 8.2.9-images-planeswalker.7z
    * 8.2.9-images-eighth.7z
    * 8.2.9-fonts.7z
    * extra copyrighted fonts
HQCG Misc 8.2.10
    * 8.2.9-images-misc.7z
    * 8.2.10-php.7z
The copyrighted fonts are included in the images zip. They're not available from mediafire.

Mediafire folder
Source repository

Installation instructions:
The whole release is modular so in order to get a renderer running you need the base packages:
*-main.7z
*-php.7z
*-fonts.7z
*-images-rarity.7z
*-images-misc.7z

Then depending on the renderers you want to use you can download one or all of the following:
*-images-eighth.7z < current standard post 8th frame (includes flips & timeshifted frames)
*-images-preEighth.7z < the old pre8th classic frame
*-images-planeswalker.7z < planeswalkers frames
*-images-vanguard.7z < vanguard frames classic and custom
and there will be a packages with futureshifted frames

If you want the updated Oracle French translation download it from here(Oracle translation, download packages contain the newest version most of the time).
Unzip all the packages into the same folder and put cards-french.csv (if you downloaded a newer version than in the package) into data folder.
The generator is now ready to use however you can improve the accuracy of generated cards by using the correct fonts
For post8th edition look you will need
* MatrixB.ttf (MatrixBold)
* MatrixBSmallCaps.ttf (MatrixBoldSmallCaps)

For avatars:
* Septimus.ttf (Septimus)
* Perpetua-Bold.ttf (Perpetua Bold)
* MinionPro-Regular.otf (MinionPro-Regular)
all of the additional fonts should be places into the font folder. The generator will automatically use them if they become available.
The last thing you might need to do is edit config.txt and change the path to the crop images folder. The folder structure is the same as for MWS.

Linux, BSD
You need to get php + gd working or wine.
If you have php+gd working you can use native.tar.gz.
Under wine use wine.tar.gz.

Mac OS
* Copy contents of native.tar.gz into Card Generator directory.
* Install Macports
* Open up the Terminal in the Applications/Utilities folder in the Finder
* Run 'sudo /opt/local/bin/port selfupdate
* Run 'sudo /opt/local/bin/port install gd2'
* Run 'sudo /opt/local/bin/port install php5'
* Run 'sudo /opt/local/bin/port install php5-gd'
* Go get some coffee...
* In the terminal edit the .bash_profile file. Add 'export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH'. I use the vim text editor for this.
* Use the Terminal to navigate to the directory where Card Generator is installed.
* Run './generateCards.sh', './generateCards-decklist.sh','./generatePages.sh', './generatePages-decklist.sh' as desired.
* You can drag a folder onto the terminal to add the folder name to the command line prompt.
* Press 'Return' and CardGenerator should run.

Usage:
generateCards.bat - Generates cards from deck list in CSV or MWS deck format.
generateCards-decklists.bat - Generates deck lists with their legality.
generatePages.bat - Generates pages of cards, useful for proxy printing at ~315DPI
generatePages-decklists.bat - Generates pages of deck lists only.
You can start the bat and then drop in the deck file or drop the deck file onto a shortcut.

CSV Decklist format:
1,Sarcomite Myr
2,Reaper King,SHM
2,Reaper King,SHM,DCI
1,"Shizo, Death's Storehouse"

It goes like
<Number of cards>,<Name of the Card>,[Edition],[Promo]

The number of cards and the name are obligatory, however you can specify if you want to use a precise edition. The last promo field tells the generator that you want to make a promo out of the card which translates into a special set symbol and textbox overlay. Currently the DCI and FNM are available but making a custom one comes down to dropping an overlay into images/promo/*.png and a set symbol into images/eight/rarity/*_R.gif where * is the Promo name.

All the generation setting can be modified via config files:
config.txt - Main configuration
config-decklist.txt - Decklist generation configuration
config-eighth.txt - post8th edition frame configuration includes planeshifted
config-preEighth.txt- pre8th edition frame configuration
config-vanguard.txt - Avatar frame configuration

Most of the options are self explanatory, however feel free to ask if you need clarification.

Advanced usage:
misc/createCard.bat can be used to create custom cards
misc/diffDecklists.bat generates a deck that is the difference between two other decks
misc/prices.bat computes the overall price of a deck
misc/buildFontSizeCache.bat can be used to rebuild the font size cache which speeds up card generation
misc/generateAll.bat generates all cards from all editions
misc/installContextMenuItems.bat install a context menu when holding shift key when right clicking any file
misc/import/readme.txt HOWTO update the card database using GoblinHero MWS Masterbase

Sample cards generated with HQ Card Generator (scaled and exported to jpg to preserve bandwidth)
ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Snacko on 13 Sep 2009, 20:37, edited 23 times in total.
Snacko
DEVELOPER

Re: HQ Card generator 8.x

Postby Snacko » 01 Aug 2008, 20:26

Uploaded new version with Planeswalker renderer.
You can have 2 layers to simulate the out of the picture effect.
The overlay should be named "NameOfYourPlaneswalker-overlay.png" where NameOfYourPlaneswalker is the name of the card and be in the same directory as your other image.
For the best ability to control the placement of both layers they should both be 736x1050, however if you don't care about that then having both layers the same size will guarantee that they will both be clipped / resized the same way.
Example:
ImageImage
Snacko
DEVELOPER

Postby Huggybaby » 02 Aug 2008, 02:07

Fantastic. Snacko, are you using the fonts that come with the generator, or others?

Those proxies look awesomely 3-D, it looks like at least three layers are fully implemented.
Since that's done, would adding even more layers be any more difficult?

A rude question, but does anyone know if any other proxy generator can do this?
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Snacko » 02 Aug 2008, 09:13

The fonts are the same as for posth 8th frame, so for the best effect you would need MatrixBSmallCaps.ttf and MatrixB.ttf which aren't included as they're pay to use fonts.
Adding more layers would b no problem, however I would need to know at which stage people would want them as currently it is
Background art, frame, overlay art, the rest of elements plus text.
As for other software doing this, personally I don't use any other, however MSE might be able to do that.

edit: I checked MSE and it doesn't seems to be able to do so, but maybe the option is very well hidden as I don't use it at all.
Snacko
DEVELOPER

Postby Halfcat » 04 Aug 2008, 21:16

Hello,
Thanks for this fantastic software :D
I have used it to create the Planewalkers with the same pictures as the original cards.
You can find my pictures and overlay here (put them in the Pics\LRW directory) :
http://rapidshare.com/files/134858777/P ... r.rar.html

And the great HQ cards thumbnails :

Image Image
Image Image
Last edited by Halfcat on 07 Aug 2008, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
Halfcat

Postby Huggybaby » 05 Aug 2008, 19:17

Those look good, but please use thumbnails in the future. Those pics are over 600 kB a piece!
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Nakapuce » 11 Aug 2008, 20:09

Hi,
Great to have the walkers !
I've almost done the eventide translation copy (and continued oracle-updating the card-french.csv file), just have to do some tests before releasing it.

@Snacko : Have you included the change I was talking about on mwsdata forum to have the english card name instead of (or with) the artist name ? I think it's really helpful for foreigners(here french talking people, but maybe sometimes someone will add more language), that have to know both names of a card.
Nakapuce

Postby Snacko » 11 Aug 2008, 20:44

I'll be including the change to add the English name on the card.
Also try to use the following legal text fromat for Planeswalkers
Code: Select all
+1: Text
-X: Text
0: Text
Snacko
DEVELOPER

Postby Nakapuce » 11 Aug 2008, 21:09

Done :)
So latest version http://nakapuce.free.fr/cards-french.csv includes eventide plus french oracle translation for cards from A... to Life from the loam, and also with arabian, antiquities and unlim full updates (other cards are in the file but not with the latest wording).
Feel free to point any error you may find.
I don't have any news of thalis, so it seems flavors are not updated anymore. I think it's possible to generate translation and flavor of news sets directly from wizards site, but don't know how to do it...
Nakapuce

Postby Snacko » 12 Aug 2008, 10:45

Also some other languages might be coming to card generator!
Last edited by Snacko on 15 Aug 2008, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
Snacko
DEVELOPER

Postby Huggybaby » 12 Aug 2008, 22:16

That's badass snacko me boy!
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Snacko » 15 Aug 2008, 08:13

Languages that are going to be in:

'Printed Card: 中文(中华人民共和国)' Chinese China
'Printed Card: 中文(台灣)' Chinese Taiwan
'Printed Card: français' French
'Printed Card: Deutsch' German
'Printed Card: italiano' Italian
'Printed Card: 日本語' Japanese
'Printed Card: 한국어' Korean
'Printed Card: Português' Portuguese
'Printed Card: Português (Brasil)' Portuguese Brazil
'Printed Card: русский' Russian
'Printed Card: español (España)' Spanish

All the text is taken from the Gatherer so the cards have their printed legal and flavor text.
I'm not processing the Chinese, Japanese and Korean languages, however they don't contain any spaces between glyphs which leads to bad card rendering. It seems those cards have a max constant number of glyphs per line, but it also depends if there are some mana symbols. Currently I will distribute them in the unprocessed form and if you will want to use them you will need to add hard spaces by hand.
Snacko
DEVELOPER

Postby Nakapuce » 15 Aug 2008, 13:59

Once more, great work !
Is it possible to have a look on the script you use to do this ?
Will you have flavor in a distinct file ?
As french is the only language with difference in the templating ("creature -" has been changed into "créature :" for instance) I chose the english templating and modified the legal text accordingly while doing my translation (also removed the À or É, upcased the creature's type first letter, etc.). Is it possible to add these treatments to the script ? (I don't know the programming language you use to do the job, but with a little work I think I can learn to do it.)
Last things are my file has translation for many more cards than the gatherer have, and printed text is sometimes very different of oracle's, so until I catch up with full oracle and unless your script add new extension to the file without removing anything, I think you should keep the actual frenchcards.csv in the package.(I'm not sure having a translation file for each set in each language, even with the repeats, wouldn't have been an easier way to go in order to keep the project updated) (and i'm not even sure my latest sentence was either understandable or written in english :) )
Nakapuce

Postby Snacko » 15 Aug 2008, 15:23

It's a pair of dirty scripts one scanning a file for gatherer IDs and the second spidering the pages for all the languages available except for printed English and oracle. There are many inconsistencies in the Gatherer data and even after automated preprocessing some cards need to be hand edited / or some tailored processing applied. There's also fake data on the Gatherer like 7E Italian which has English text.. the same goes for Chinese Taiwan cards.
Also due to my current algorithm of spidering I end up with duped data for legal text.

All the csv formats stay the same, so flavor is in a separate file from legal text.
And French isn't the only one with different templating!
Currently there are ~90 sets, considering that only French , German and Italian date before 8E that would mean 300+ files for translations for all those printed cards if each file would contain only one edition.
I was thinking about renaming both the flavor and French translation to something like french-Oracle, because they both include cards not printed in this language and the legal text is updated to the current oracle wording.
Snacko
DEVELOPER

Postby halfheart » 16 Aug 2008, 01:10

Waiting for more lenguajes :wink:
halfheart

Next

Return to HQ Card Generator