It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 14:58

Text Size

Pictures for Magic Album

Moderators: charmer, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Pictures for Magic Album

Postby Goblin Hero » 16 May 2021, 13:55

Topace wrote:I hope it's ok and helpful if I post the scripts I use here.
Post'em. It may help others.
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Topace » 04 Jul 2021, 08:55

Here's the script to download pictures for MH2 and H1R from scryfall!

As always:
1. create corresponding folders in your MA Pictures-folder
2. if necessary, adjust the path name within the script to match the location of your MA-folder
3. rename the script from *.txt to *.ps1
4. run with PowerShell to start downloading
5. after download, search and replace all occurrences of "(" and ")" with "[" and "]". (Easiest done with "PowerRename", which is part of Microsofts Power Toys)

HF!
Attachments
020) Get_Images_MH2_H1R.txt
(96.98 KiB) Downloaded 410 times
Topace

Postby chreschi » 08 Aug 2021, 12:41

Is it just me, or has the quality of the picture renderer lessened as of late? It just struck me when looking up the "Wall of Swords" (Unlimited edition). The textbox does not show past resemblance to the card (actually most pronounced in newer editions, where there is a line between rules and flavour text), the "coypright" symbol is missing for the artist, Artist name is centered instead of aligned to the left, and the edition symbol is completely wrong (in fact, there is no such symbol for A, B, U and R...!).
WHY is this screwed up all of a sudden? I can't remember it being messed up like that in the past!
chreschi

Postby Topace » 28 Aug 2021, 10:01

Sorry, I got delayed due to holidays & stuff :)

Finally, here's the script for AFR & AFC!

As always:
1. create corresponding folders in your MA pictures folder
2. if necessary, adjust the path name within the script to match the location of your MA folder
5. after download, search and replace all occurrences of "(" and ")" with "[" and "]". (Easiest done with "PowerRename", which is part of Microsoft Power Toys)

HF!
Attachments
020) Get_Images_AFR_AFC.txt
(142 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
Topace

Postby Huggybaby » 28 Aug 2021, 12:04

chreschi wrote:Is it just me, or has the quality of the picture renderer lessened as of late? It just struck me when looking up the "Wall of Swords" (Unlimited edition). The textbox does not show past resemblance to the card (actually most pronounced in newer editions, where there is a line between rules and flavour text), the "coypright" symbol is missing for the artist, Artist name is centered instead of aligned to the left, and the edition symbol is completely wrong (in fact, there is no such symbol for A, B, U and R...!).
WHY is this screwed up all of a sudden? I can't remember it being messed up like that in the past!
We had two overlapping and somewhat contradictory goals for the HQ Pics project:
1) Document card sets for posterity, preserving the characteristics of the print run. including, say, color tint differences, print aberrations etc.
2) Provide images optimized to be used in computer card games.

Goal number 1) is increasingly less possible, until more resources are made available.
For years we had a team of volunteers in place to scan and process actual cards---but now we don't. So more wonderful volunteers have stepped forward to scrape images from websites, and sometimes even use AI processing to "upscale" and enhance. It's been a long time since we've had access to scans of real cards, so our original remit of verisimilitude is sadly out the window. Scraped images just won't contain all the information that a real card has.

Possibly, one day in the future, another team will reassemble, and bring all the newer sets up to date with real scans, but honestly I don't see it happening any time soon, because it's much less work to automatically scrape a site and run images through a processing script than it is to collect hundreds of cards, then scan them, manually remove dirt, process and optimize. Starting with scans leads to the best quality images IME, but the costs in money and labor are high.

HB
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby chreschi » 03 Oct 2021, 09:49

WoS_MA.JPG
Magic Album
WoS_MtGS.JPG
MtG Studio
Huggybaby wrote:We had two overlapping and somewhat contradictory goals for the HQ Pics project:
1) Document card sets for posterity, preserving the characteristics of the print run. including, say, color tint differences, print aberrations etc.
2) Provide images optimized to be used in computer card games.

Goal number 1) is increasingly less possible, until more resources are made available.
For years we had a team of volunteers in place to scan and process actual cards---but now we don't. So more wonderful volunteers have stepped forward to scrape images from websites, and sometimes even use AI processing to "upscale" and enhance. It's been a long time since we've had access to scans of real cards, so our original remit of verisimilitude is sadly out the window. Scraped images just won't contain all the information that a real card has.

Possibly, one day in the future, another team will reassemble, and bring all the newer sets up to date with real scans, but honestly I don't see it happening any time soon, because it's much less work to automatically scrape a site and run images through a processing script than it is to collect hundreds of cards, then scan them, manually remove dirt, process and optimize. Starting with scans leads to the best quality images IME, but the costs in money and labor are high.

HB
Thank you for your extensive reply. I get that it's labor-intensive to obtain a "near-perfect" image quality. Personally, I would be content with lower res as well, but I get the point.
My original question has not much to do with the card image, however. It's more about the fact that suddenly (in my perception), card frames, symbols, font and many other things seem to be wrong. I never noticed that before. And in fact, many other programs show the correct data. As the card renderer was one of the things that made MA unique, I'm in some doubt... Again: the renderer, not the (scanned) image.

Example (Magic Album vs MTG Studio)
chreschi

Postby Huggybaby » 03 Oct 2021, 20:06

First of all, thank you for your important observation.

Your perception is likely correct, but Goblin Hero would have to speak to that as I'm not involved. I'm pretty sure that Magic Album also relies on volunteers to keep resources up to date, which as you know we are short of. We have always had someone pop up to help out whenever things got far enough behind, but no help is on the horizon now.

MTG Studio costs almost $30.00, and if sales are even moderate then they probably can dedicate a person to keeping things current. Resources will always flow to the money, and we've never had or offered any.

MTG is no longer new, exciting and different. It's sad for me, but maybe with the proliferation of other CCGs (and there are LOTS nowadays) there isn't much demand for this any more. Or maybe it exists on another forum of which I'm unaware.

Whatever happens, we were the first. MWSHQ--->CCGHQ. We'll see what the future holds. Maybe we'll be surprised and delighted again some day!
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Topace » 13 Oct 2021, 20:48

Update: Scripts to download Pictures for MID, MIC and CMR from Scryfall

As always:
2. if necessary, adjust the path name within the script to match the location of your MA folder
5. after download, search and replace all occurrences of "(" and ")" with "[" and "]". (Easiest done with "PowerRename", which is part of Microsoft Power Toys)

HF!
Attachments
Get_Images_CMR.txt
(132.28 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
Get_Images_MIC.txt
(37.36 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
Get_Images_MID.txt
(73.8 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
Topace

Postby Topace » 25 Dec 2021, 14:00

Update: Scripts to download Pictures for VOW, VOC and ZNC from Scryfall

Sorry, I'm very late this time - work hit me hard... :)

Happy Holidays everyone!

As always:
Attachments
Get_Images_ZNC.txt
(27.83 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Get_Images_VOC.txt
(37.93 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
Get_Images_VOW.txt
(89.3 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
Topace

Postby Atheling013 » 21 Mar 2022, 08:44

Hello everyone,I'm New to the site,just started using Magic Album. Thank you for all these picture files, If anyone is interested the file for Streets of New Capenna Promo pictures

Make a folder Streets of New Capenna in your \pictures\Promo Cards\ directory then make a folder ENG in the new Streets of New Capenna directory

Now all we have to do is wait for it to be added to the database ;)

As always:

To run the script in windows 10/11 right click on the file and select "Run with Powershell, after editing your file and making the directories.

Enjoy

Attachment

Get_Images_SNC_Promo.txt
Picture for SNR
(5.57 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Atheling013

Postby Topace » 21 Mar 2022, 14:44

@Atheling013: hehe, nice work :-)

@all: Now that the new database update is out, I will add the new picture download for NEO and so on in the next days... or maybe Atheling013 will be faster? ;-)
Topace

Postby Topace » 22 Mar 2022, 14:41

...and here we go: NEO / NEC / PNEO download scripts!

(you know how to do it)
Attachments
PNEO.txt
(29.48 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
NEC.txt
(35.69 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
NEO.txt
(94.7 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
Topace

Postby Nexensis » 10 May 2022, 23:42

Hey @Topace, thanks for these scripts! Just a suggestion to make things easier on our side:

Invoke-WebRequest "https://..." -OutFile ( New-Item -Path "C:\..." -Force )

Can you add that to the lines you generate? This will make it so we don't have to create the new directory manually each time.

Edit:

Can also handle the renaming at the end of the script after all the pictures are downloaded with something like this:

Get-ChildItem "C:\Program Files (x86)\Magic Album\Pictures\Expansions\Adventures in the Forgotten Realms\ENG\*(*" | Rename-Item -NewName { $_.Name -replace '\(','[' }
Get-ChildItem "C:\Program Files (x86)\Magic Album\Pictures\Expansions\Adventures in the Forgotten Realms\ENG\*)*" | Rename-Item -NewName { $_.Name -replace '\)',']' }
Nexensis

Postby Topace » 05 Jun 2022, 15:08

Here are the download scripts for New Capenna + Commander + Promos.

Many thanks to Nexensis for the additions! I included the new parts and so you no longer have to manually create folders or rename files! :) :)

What remains to be done manually is:
a) if necessary, adjust the path name within the script to match the location of your MA folder
b) rename the script from *.txt to *.ps1
c) run with PowerShell to start downloading
Attachments
PSNC.txt
(32.54 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
NCC.txt
(99.85 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
SNC.txt
(96.73 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
Topace

Postby Topace » 05 Nov 2022, 19:12

Many Thanks to Daniel for the last upate!

Here are the download scripts for most of the new integrated sets.

...what you will have to do:
a) if necessary, adjust the path name within the scripts to match the location of your MA folder
b) rename the script from *.txt to *.ps1
c) run with PowerShell to start downloading
Attachments
40K.txt
(68.15 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
PCLB.txt
(23.73 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
CLB.txt
(209.92 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
PDMU.txt
(35.86 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
DMU.txt