It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 18:41

Text Size

Magic Album Discussion

Moderators: charmer, CCGHQ Admins

Magic Album Discussion

Postby Goblin Hero » 16 May 2009, 11:31

What is it?
It is my old project. I'm a Magic collector so I need a good tool to keep track of cards. I was using MWS but didn't like it. That's why I've started writing my own analog. Several alphas were released on mwsdata before forum's death. Right now the project is reborn. It's still an alpha but it's good enough for me to use it instead of MWS library.
Features
1. Includes all possible information about the cards (© info, real collector number, printed card text etc.)
2. Full unicode support. Database can include cards on all languages
4. Support for non-standart cards (Look at Mox Lotus and Little Girl)
5. Multilevel sorting. Left click on column header holding shift.
6. Tooltips. They're available only for "Edition" and "Text (Oracle)" columns, but you should look at them.
7. Filter. There will be only one filter (but very complex) which will be applying to the whole db. No more F9, F3, 5 levels nonsense.
8. Fully customizable interface. You can move/dock/float panes any way you like.
9. Database supports different kinds of objects (cards, tokens, etc).
System requirements
Windows XP SP2, Vista, 7.
Installation
1. Download auto updater http://ma.slightlymagic.net/Updater.exe and run it. It will download the rest. Use it periodically for update check.
2. Run Magic Album.exe
How to show cards' images
Cards' images are stored in different structure. Go to Tools->Preferences and enter the path where the pistures are stored. Right now the structure looks like "path\Core Sets\10th Edition\ENG" but it's not final. If you look at Database\Sets.csv you can see the correct folders for each set. The files just need to be named like the cards, so if you have the *.full.jpg you'll need to remove the .full from each file. Then it works perfectly.

I need your feedback/opinions/bugreports!!!
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Magic Album Reborn

Postby staggerwingjtstw » 17 May 2009, 17:34

Well, I'm about to go to bed, but I'd so totally look at this because it sounds just like the type of program I like. Especially since it wouldn't be a dead project like MWS.
I like being bad... it makes me happy...
staggerwingjtstw

Postby gschmidl » 17 May 2009, 22:01

Just tried it -- looks really nifty, but unfortunately it can't seem to import my inventory. There's no error message and nothing in the log, so I'm afraid I can't give you a better report than that...
gschmidl

Postby Goblin Hero » 18 May 2009, 06:09

gschmidl wrote:it can't seem to import my inventory
OS version? What is displayed in import window?
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gschmidl » 18 May 2009, 15:20

Goblin Hero wrote:
gschmidl wrote:it can't seem to import my inventory
OS version? What is displayed in import window?
WinXP SP3 (German). It just displays:

"Can't import inventory."
gschmidl

Postby Goblin Hero » 18 May 2009, 15:57

gschmidl wrote:WinXP SP3 (German). It just displays:
"Can't import inventory."
Send me your inventory (via PM) for investigation.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Snacko » 18 May 2009, 16:10

A few suggestions and remarks:
* double click on the card list does nothing at the moment maybe make it add the card to the inventory
* Tooltips needed for flavor / non oracle text too
* for the collectors it would be nice to have the state the card is mint, near mint etc
* if you keep track of the inventory then checking if you have all the cards from the deck might be useful to see if you have any cards missing
* quick search doesn't work, not implemented yet ?
* some cards are listed as foil only yet you can track them in inventory as foilless
* something wrong with filtering for example converted mana cost = 6 leaves tokens in (their cc = 0), with cc=6 I get the split cards with each subcard cc = 3 which is wrong

Overall the application can turn into a really useful software for managing card inventories.
Snacko
DEVELOPER

Postby Goblin Hero » 19 May 2009, 10:41

Snacko wrote:* Tooltips needed for flavor / non oracle text too
* some cards are listed as foil only yet you can track them in inventory as foilless
Will be in the next alpha.
Snacko wrote:* for the collectors it would be nice to have the state the card is mint, near mint etc
You've "Comment" field in the inventory to write anything you want.
Snacko wrote:* if you keep track of the inventory then checking if you have all the cards from the deck might be useful to see if you have any cards missing
Yea, will be implemented.
Snacko wrote:* quick search doesn't work, not implemented yet ?
You must sort by "Name (Oracle)" first. In theory it can be possible to quick search on different columns.
Snacko wrote:* something wrong with filtering for example converted mana cost = 6 leaves tokens in (their cc = 0), with cc=6 I get the split cards with each subcard cc = 3 which is wrong
Token filtering will be fixed in the next alpha. As for the split cards: they're unique and must be treated differently. I'm not sure what is the best way to do it and it'll require DB modifications. Let 'em stay as is.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Goblin Hero » 19 May 2009, 11:09

Alpha 11 is uploaded. See first post.
gschmidl: Your inventory is imported on my PC w/o errors. I've added additional logging in a11 to find the problem.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gschmidl » 19 May 2009, 16:26

Tried it with A11:

Code: Select all
18:25:54 C:\Downloads\MWSPA\ma\MWSConv.exe -inv "C:\Downloads\MWSPA\ma\Master.mwInventory" "F:\TEMP\ma_16AD.tmp"
18:25:54 MWSConv.exe failed, error 3
Running the command manually results in a 2-byte temp file.

Also tried with a newly-made inventory, which still fails.
gschmidl

Postby Goblin Hero » 20 May 2009, 07:02

A12 is uploaded. Fixes for MWS importing + "Have" field in deck editor.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gschmidl » 20 May 2009, 13:57

And now it works. Thank you so much!

EDIT: Oh, and am I right in assuming that card pictures don't work yet (at least not with the images from MWS)?
EDIT2: I also can't seem to select tokens in the filter; the main window always shows "0/48 tokens".
gschmidl

Postby Goblin Hero » 21 May 2009, 09:52

gschmidl wrote:EDIT: Oh, and am I right in assuming that card pictures don't work yet (at least not with the images from MWS)?
Images will be stored in different structure. And it works. Tools->Preferences->setup directory.
Right now the structure looks like "path\Regular Cards\Core Sets\10th Edition\ENG" but it's not final.
gschmidl wrote:EDIT2: I also can't seem to select tokens in the filter; the main window always shows "0/48 tokens".
Bug confirmed.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby staggerwingjtstw » 21 May 2009, 15:37

I'm so loving this program! the only caveat is that I'm having trouble with card images as well. But that can wait til it's finalized
I like being bad... it makes me happy...
staggerwingjtstw

Postby gschmidl » 21 May 2009, 17:29

staggerwingjtstw wrote:I'm so loving this program! the only caveat is that I'm having trouble with card images as well. But that can wait til it's finalized
If you look at Database\Sets.csv you can see the correct folders for each set. The files just need to be named like the cards, so if you have the *.full.jpg you'll need to remove the .full from each file. Then it works perfectly.

However, as the format may still change, I'm not converting just yet.
gschmidl

Next

Return to Magic Album