It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 14:04

Text Size

Importing My Collection From Decked Builder To Magic Album

Moderators: charmer, CCGHQ Admins

Importing My Collection From Decked Builder To Magic Album

Postby wdlssm » 14 Jul 2015, 01:57

Hi everybody, I hope everyone is doing alright!

I have a large collection and I have wanted to catalog it for a while so I did some digging online and came up with a few options. I ended up going with Decked Builder because of the sheer number of platforms it supported. It's pretty convenient and I do like it but they have an issue with their search engine. It can only display so many cards at once (I am lead to believe that number is ~400). I have cataloged over 9000 cards, this can be an issue as you can imagine.

I find myself constantly changing decks. A while ago I decided to just sleeve all of my cards in the same color/kind of sleeve so that I could swap cards between decks as needed. I also stored all of my staples by color in separate binders (one for each color) alphabetically so I can find the cards easily. My issue is that with Decked Builder's search limit, I am unable to ensure that my collection is correctly in order in my physical binders. :shock:

I have recently discovered this program and this forum. Everything I'm reading about it seems amazing. I was able to get the pictures and price tracker function working correctly and overall this program seems great! Now I just need some help with importing my collection from Decked Builder over to Magic Album.

I looked over the help file and created a .CSV file using Excel in the correct header order (Set, Name, Version, QtyReg, QtyFoil, Notes) but when I try to import the file I get an error message "Inventory Import - Can't open CSV file". Can anyone help me with this? Having to catalog that many cards for a second time seems rather daunting. :(
wdlssm

Re: Importing My Collection From Decked Builder To Magic Alb

Postby Goblin Hero » 14 Jul 2015, 06:24

Have you read "Help\Import Example.txt"? It's very important to follow all the rules.
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wdlssm » 14 Jul 2015, 20:04

Hey there Goblin Hero!

I did take a look at the import example and I tried to match it up with the Import Example CSV file in the same folder. Unfortunately I am unable to upload the CSV file into Magic Album (I keep getting the same error). I did see that there was a requirement for "UTF16 encoding with BOM signature" but I wasn't really sure where I would be able to validate if it is using that encoding.

What I can say is that I'm using Excel 2010 and I've tried saving the same file as both "CSV (Comma delimited)" and "CSV (MS-DOS) with the same results. Is there anything else I should be trying? Sorry for such a general question lol. :oops:

Edit 1: I have noticed that in my CSV, not all of the set names were the same as the set names in the official Magic Gatherer. I think I've read that the CSV Import feature will fail if the set names aren't the same as the ones in the official Magic Gatherer. I've went ahead and matched the set names with the ones in the official Magic Gatherer and I saved one in every CSV file type available (CSV, CSV - MS DOS, CSV - MAC). Unfortunately I was still unable to import my collection.

Edit 2: For haha's I've tried to import the example CSV and it uploads correctly. It must be something I'm doing. Maybe if I upload my data to the example file, it'll work? I dunno. I'll try it and report back.

Edit 3: No luck with the data I supplied. I did notice that the example file had "M10" vs the Gatherer's "Magic 2010". I changed mine to follow the same naming convention with no luck.
wdlssm

Postby Goblin Hero » 15 Jul 2015, 07:03

Send me your csv file.
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Magic Album