It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 17:20

Text Size

card filters and devoid

Moderators: charmer, CCGHQ Admins

How would you prefer colour filter and devoid interact?

devoid cards are strictly colourless (like it is now)
40%
devoid cards's colour is determined by mana cost (in contrast to the game rules)
No votes
colour filter should count devoid cards as coloured if (and only if) "exclude unselected" is active
40%
colour filter should count all cards according to colour identiy (including rules text - could lead to strange behaviour)
No votes
something else (please elaborate below)
20%

Total votes : 5

card filters and devoid

Postby LordHelmchen » 03 Oct 2015, 00:59

Greetings!
While brewing, I was browsing cards of the appropriate colours, and stumbled over a decidedly uncastable card in the list. After tripple-checking the filter (unchecked White, Red, Green, excluded unselected) still there were cards that should not be there.
Then it suddenly hit me: Magic Album apparently sees a devoid card and correctly decides it is valid for my selection.
While I agree that it is technically correct ("the best kind of correct" 8) ), it is slightly irritating and I am not sure if the normal use-case would prefer to see cards (at least in "exclude unselected" mode) selected by colour identity, as defined for commander, or some other compromise.
LordHelmchen

Re: card filters and devoid

Postby Goblin Hero » 04 Oct 2015, 10:56

Devoid cards are considered as colorless, and that's correct. I do not know how to satisfy you without breaking the whole concept. What to do with Summoner's Pact etc.? Any ideas?
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby LordHelmchen » 04 Oct 2015, 11:35

It is indeed correct, and I completely agree with the desire to have MA behave according to the rules.
What I noticed is that for deck construction the correct behaviour does create a minor inconvenience. Thus, I created a poll to gauge how the rest of the userbase feels instead of creating a support ticket.
MA is usefull for a wide range of Magic related use cases, and for deck construction a different filter might be more appropriate. If changing the "exclude unselected" behaviour feels damaging to the integrity of the database, perhaps an additional filter category could be created.
For BFZ standard, If one wants to construct, say, a {R} {G} Eldrazi deck, it would be nice to filter out devoid cards whose mana cost includes {W} / {U} / {B}.
For Commander, it would even be helpful to filter out cards by colour identity.

EDIT: I was wrong, Summoner's Pact is indeed a green card, due to the color indicator (which wasn't shown on the tooltip).
A better example for an actual colourless card with a green colour identity would be Abzan Banner, whose colour identity is {W} {B} {G}.
/EDIT

That said, I wasn't sure what to propose, so I hoped for more opinions form other users before making a suggestion :-)
LordHelmchen

Postby tenminutegod » 03 Jul 2016, 01:51

Devoid cards throw me off when building decks as well. Could adding an option to filter by color identity (as used by Commander) be a solution to this? It's something I'd like to see added to Magic Album regardless, and it seems like it would also help here.
tenminutegod

Return to Magic Album