It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:51

Text Size

CSV Saving

Moderators: charmer, CCGHQ Admins

CSV Saving

Postby woogerboy21 » 09 Jan 2010, 19:38

Maybe I am doing something wrong but when I choose to save my inventory as a .CSV file it appears that the saved file is not formated properly for comma seperation. It appears to be tab seperated. It also does not include all the columns listed in the inventory view of the program.

Not sure if this is by design but it would be nice if either you had the option to set the delimiter (ex: tab or delimiter), or save the file with the proper .tab extension rather than .csv. Also have all the columns experted that exist in the inventory view. :D
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Re: CSV Saving

Postby Goblin Hero » 12 Jan 2010, 21:12

CSV files can use different delimiters. I've chosen tab because this symbol is not used in MA database fields. AFAIK all modern spreadsheet apps detect delimiter automatically. As for the all colmns export - add this to wishlist.
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby woogerboy21 » 13 Jan 2010, 18:50

CSV files can use different delimiters. I've chosen tab because this symbol is not used in MA database fields. AFAIK all modern spreadsheet apps detect delimiter automatically. As for the all colmns export - add this to wishlist.
Will do about the wishlist. :D

And yea I have noticed that over the last year or so that most programs are saving any delimiter in the csv file name extension. Since its just a flat file with a common delimiter in the file contents the name really doesn't matter. Just a personal pet p'v of mine since the extension name indicates a comma delimiter and putting any other delimiter in the file seems to be just lazyness (not on your part just overall lazyness of the market).

Old school programming mentality kicking in I guess. :?

So far over all seems like a good app to use for collection inventoring. Good Job.
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

CSV Saving

Postby jackdenial » 25 Jan 2010, 08:00

You can read your data from the excel file using "report generation" to an array. Then you can save it as *.csv using "write to spreadsheet file".you can select the separator.If you don't know how to use "report generation",install it and see the examples.It's simple.
jackdenial

Postby woogerboy21 » 25 Jan 2010, 18:26

jackdenial wrote:You can read your data from the excel file using "report generation" to an array. Then you can save it as *.csv using "write to spreadsheet file".you can select the separator.If you don't know how to use "report generation",install it and see the examples.It's simple.
Yea I was just making sure of the formating. I usually just open it up in openoffice calc and choose the "tab" seperator and it opens right up :D
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Return to Magic Album