It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:22

Text Size

M2010 Pictures and Database Updates

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

M2010 Pictures and Database Updates

Postby woogerboy21 » 27 Jul 2009, 14:42

Hello!

This post is mainly directed towards GoblinHero.

I just wanted to post some results I have had when trying to update the MWS with the M2010 database posted. I don't know if it helps out at all but I have attempted the DB update on 2 machines. One running Windows Vista and the other Windows XP. The windows XP box updated fine with out any issue's. The Windows Vista machine on the otherhand has not. On the Vista machine when you try and filter by 2010 I get nothing but token cards. (You probably already know this but just thought I would state it.)

Also I noticed that on the Windows XP machine when filtering the 2010 cards by commons the mythic rares also show up. I don't know if this is supposed to happen but another point I thought I would mention. I dont believe there is a filter in the program for "mythic rares" but you may want to update the "mythic rares" to atleast the rare

Also do you have any interest in the full pictures of every card? I have them and placing them in the M10 folder with the card name appears to work great.

If there is any type of debugging or other methods to determin problems with the vista machine that you would like me to try let me know.

Thanks,
Wooger
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Re: M2010 Pictures and Database Updates

Postby Kl3p_co. » 27 Jul 2009, 23:24

I have NO idea why it does so, I run vista as well and had no problems, and the mythic rare show up even if you filter uncommon or rare.
Always outnumbered. Never outtrolled.
Kl3p_co.

Postby woogerboy21 » 28 Jul 2009, 13:43

Kl3p_co. wrote:I have NO idea why it does so, I run vista as well and had no problems, and the mythic rare show up even if you filter uncommon or rare.
Thats odd. I doubt there could be something off with the windows xp machine. I clean loaded it before putting MWS back on it. As far as the vista machine I am still trying to get the masterbase to update correctly.

What version of MWS are you running by chance as well as what version of vista?
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Postby Kl3p_co. » 28 Jul 2009, 13:50

Afaik, there is only 1 version of MWS, and I run Vista Ultimate(if that is what you mean, if you want the exact version gimme 5 minutes and Ill let you know)
Kl3p_co.

Postby woogerboy21 » 28 Jul 2009, 14:17

Alright so I finally was able to get my masterbase to update. What is really odd on the vista machine is I would delete the old masterbase and sets.dat file and copy in the new files. But once I started the application it would show the additiona m2010 in the sets list but there would be no card data. So I thought I would just open the masterbase file from a different location. When I choose the open library option there was a listing of files with the old masterbase file I removed.

This is the really weird part. According to the drop down list of my folder location I was in the same folder from were I deleted the original masterbase file and replaced it. So I thought huh that odd.

Does MWS keep a second copy of the opened masterbase (or library) in some type of hidden file?

The way I fixed it was I took and in the open file dialogue box, I deleted the masterbase files (by simply right clicking the file name in the open file dialogue and choosing delete) then copy and pasted the updated masterbase file into that location using the same dialogue box.

Which brings me to another puzzling thing.

After choosing the delete option from the open dialogue box and the file disappearing, then copying the new file in using the same dialogue box vista popped up the "copy and replace" window. As if the file wasnt really being deleted. I obviously choose replace. Then selected the file and it opened right up showing the additional 200+ cards I was missing from my masterbase.

I personally am running vista home media center edition but there shouldnt be any issue's with file permissioning etc.

Also I filtered the M10 set to just commons and I still see the commons and mystic rares both. Not a big deal just pointing out that I experience the same behaviour between the two machines I have loaded the software on.

Wooger
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Postby Kl3p_co. » 28 Jul 2009, 19:54

Well, its MWS, dont expect some miracles to happen, the whole program is abandonware and therefore the bugs are not patched. Just bear with it
Kl3p_co.

Postby Nyth » 29 Jul 2009, 13:55

It does sound like a file permissions problem even though you mentioned that it shouldn't be. With MWS, I always find it best to just elevate permissions on the whole C:\Program Files\Magic Workstation folder. That way, when you replace files within it, the EXE doesn't start complaining about accessing it and looks for older versions - remember that Vista has a habit of saving older versions of files for you to revert to. Chances are that MagicWorkstation.exe tried to access your newer mwBase, couldn't because of permissions and then let Vista give it an older version to work with from the bowels of the OS. Glad it is sorted now though...

FYI, I didn't get any of the above issues on Vista or XP because I've always made sure the folder had the correct permissions.
Nyth
HQ Team Member

Return to Masterbase/Sets