It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 21:13

Text Size

Portable Version?

Discuss the online play component of MWS

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Portable Version?

Postby EviL_CLonE » 05 Apr 2009, 19:31

Hi everybody. Is there a full working portable version of MWS? I've been searching the web and found a few, but all of them are simple copy-paste of the installation folder and don't work if there isn't an installed version on the PC.

Thanks!
EviL_CLonE

Re: Portable Version?

Postby aronlove » 02 May 2010, 03:00

a portable version would be awesome but I haven't found anything like that at all! Can you help me out here?
aronlove

Re: Portable Version?

Postby Malhavoc » 02 Mar 2011, 21:16

I managed to arrange a portable version of my own. It's not much difficult.

Copy your whole installation folder into your USB pen. Then edit the magicworkstation.ini file with Notepad, and edit all the folder paths you find there to match the USB folder. I suggest to use relative paths (relative to the MWS executable), so that it works no matter which driver letter your USB pen is mounted as. If I'm not wrong, write protecting the ini file helps avoiding MWS from overwriting the ini files with absolute paths as you close it.

Then the tricky part: you need to export the registry configuration into an .reg file. Lauch Regedit from "start->run", and browse for this entry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Magic Workstation

Right click on it and export the whole entry. Copy the resulting file in the USB pen. Open it with notepad, and again be sure to change all paths to relative ones. No need for write protection here.

And you are done! Just plug the USB pen in the computer of your choice, double click the .reg file to install the required registry entry (needed only once for each computer), and you can play from USB. If you configure the ini/reg file accordingly, you can also configure MWS to read pic files from the DVD drive (but you need to hardcode the drive letter in this case), just remember to bring a DVD with all the pics burned there! ;)
Malhavoc

Return to MWSPlay