It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:12

Text Size

Alara Reborn pre-releases

Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere goes here...

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Re: Alara Reborn pre-releases

Postby Kl3p_co. » 28 Apr 2009, 13:06

I already remapped some cards,and 1 of the things was that 1 zigg was cut(I think I cut also the 2 for basics,altho Im not sure)..Tbh in the beginning I just added 3 ziggurats because I knew Im gonna play lotsa creatures, but I forgot about them when I added things like Banefire and Profane Command :-/
Next thing I cut, were the hackblades.I realized that every control plays volcanic fallout and hackblades just die under this card,so I cut grixis grimblades and 1 jund hackblade and added 3 Boggart Ram-Gangs, which are great in every situation :-)

Also cards to consider- Demigod of Revenge
Rain of Tears
Blitz Helion
Mogg Fanatic
Incinerate or Flame Javelin
Sprouting Thrinax
Blightning
Magma Spray
Mage Slayer
Ashenmoor Gouger
Shambling Remains
Spellbreaker Behemoth in sb
Wild Ricochet in sb
Puppeteer Clique in sb
Thoughtseize sb/md
Mind Shatter / Scepter of Fugue sb
Liliana Vess sb
Stillmoon Cavalier sb
Anathemancer sb
Kitchen Finks sb
Siege-gang Commander (Id add this when I wanted to do a more controle version including less creatures and more killing stuff)
Infest sb (instead of Fallout)s

As you can see, we have really a great card pool to pick and build from :-)
edit:omg I forgot about terminate :-)
-2 Nameless Inversion
+2 Terminate

Now its a LOT better :-)
Always outnumbered. Never outtrolled.
Kl3p_co.

Postby juzamjedi » 28 Apr 2009, 15:31

We drafted ARB-ARB-ARB with our spoils and I did this cool thing with Cascade :
Scientist, one of the cool things an opponent did to me in prerelease was Cascade as a direct tutor for Necrogenesis. If you only have a few spells that are a 1 or 2 drop and have a 3 mana cost cascade spell then you will always get to play them. I personally prefer the aggro cards in Jund, but U/W decks could use Ardent Plea to "tutor" for Meddling Mage, or Gaddock Teeg, or Pithing Needle, or Bloom Tender to ramp up mana, or ...

Personally I really like Thought Hemmorage for B/R as I think it can destroy combo decks. I have not gotten to play with it yet, but if I don't play Thought Hemmorage main deck then I would want it in my sideboard.
juzamjedi
Tester

Postby Kl3p_co. » 28 Apr 2009, 16:13

The problem with thought Hemorrhage is, that there is no competetive combo deck in standart,and when you play it in BR/G aggro, you usually name a Mass Destruction Spell such as Volcanic Fallout or Infest or Wrath of God.The problem starts here-as you can see, 2 of those spells are 1 mana cheaper and instantly castable (which means that the op will probably cast it when you play thought hemorrhage), so practically, the only one you can hit surely is Wrath of God.BUT 5c and other control decks playing wrath of god do not play 4 copies but mostly 2, so you can get the odds that he will have it in t4, where its your MVP(a turn later is too late as they can have a Negate or Cryptic Command pending on use, tho they can have Negate or Broken Ambitions pending in the hand t4 anyway,assuming youre on play) :-) (Good old Extirpate I rly want it back :-P )
Kl3p_co.

Postby juzamjedi » 09 May 2009, 06:21

I played in a small local tournament tonight and I played with a deck that was (almost) entirely Alara Reborn. In fact the deck was 100% Shards block and I rarely played my Shards cards. This deck came in 2nd place at 3-0-1; the only time I tied was I went over the time limit against a 5-color planeswalker deck. The best moment was when I played Thought Hemorrhage and named Elspeth

3 Terminate
4 Putrid Leech
4 Jund Hackblade
4 Grixis Grimblade
4 Violent Outburst
3 Maelstrom Pulse
4 Bloodbraid Elf
3 Anathemancer
1 Quietus Spike (in case of Wall of Denial which I hate!)
1 Thought Hemorrhage
4 Bituminous Blast
4 Veinfire Borderpost
4 Firewild Borderpost
6 Swamp
5 Mountain
6 Forest
juzamjedi
Tester

Postby Kl3p_co. » 09 May 2009, 07:38

You could have used trial-lands(in this case Savage lands), also the mana curve is really weird(4 Bitominous Blasts with 18 lands?lol) and some spells(Violent Outburst for example) really dont belong there.You are afraid of Wall of Denial? Ever heard of Wall of reverence? it eats your deck alive if left on the table(ok still you have 4 Terminates, but nevertheless control decks like PW 5c are able to keep their walls safe).There have been some bigger block tournaments and jund has been one of the top decks in there.Here is a example list:
// Lands
2 [ALA] Jund Panorama
5 [10E] Mountain (3)
4 [R] Swamp (1)
3 [ALA] Savage Lands
4 [10E] Forest (4)

As you can see it plays also alara fetchlands(I didnt really consider them good but in Block constructed they are better than you would think)

// Creatures
4 [ARB] Bloodbraid Elf
4 [ALA] Sprouting Thrinax
4 [ARB] Putrid Leech
4 [ARB] Jund Hackblade
4 [CNF] Bloodhall Ooze

Ok this deck isnt 100% ARB. But as you can see it plays really only the best creatures in block(Putrid Leech is just crazy, it can beat the opponent without any help in 5 turns, I really dont know why isnt it included in my list of cards up here in the thread)

// Spells
2 [ARB] Bituminous Blast
4 [ARB] Veinfire Borderpost
3 [ARB] Firewild Borderpost
4 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse
1 [ARB] Lavalanche
4 [FNM] Terminate
3 [ALA] Magma Spray
1 [ALA] Necrogenesis
Magma spray is considered really crazy against all the jund decks playing Necrogenesis, as they lose targets, and is really good against putrid leeches and other */1-2 stuff.I really miss Blightning in this deck, in my testing I lost against it really badly.

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [ARB] Bituminous Blast
SB: 1 [ALA] Necrogenesis
SB: 1 [ARB] Lavalanche
SB: 1 [ALA] Magma Spray
SB: 2 [ARB] Anathemancer
SB: 3 [ARB] Vithian Renegades
SB: 4 [CNF] Ignite Disorder
SB: 2 [ARB] Thought Hemorrhage

Sideboard is really standart, there isnt any other card in Alara block you would add.
Kl3p_co.

Postby juzamjedi » 10 May 2009, 15:05

I think Anathemancer is better than you are giving credit. Against a 5 color deck it absolutely wrecks because you can unearth him too...

You are probably right about Violent Outburst the extra creature at instant speed is nice, but not necessary. Magma Spray is a good suggestion and I will try it out!
juzamjedi
Tester

Postby Kl3p_co. » 10 May 2009, 15:18

juzamjedi wrote:I think Anathemancer is better than you are giving credit. Against a 5 color deck it absolutely wrecks because you can unearth him too...

You are probably right about Violent Outburst the extra creature at instant speed is nice, but not necessary. Magma Spray is a good suggestion and I will try it out!
i made some adjustements:
-4 Sprouting Thrinax
+4 Blightning

improves the mirror matchup 100% :-)
Kl3p_co.

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion