It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:41

Text Size

From the vault: Twenty, fake or not?

Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere goes here...

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

From the vault: Twenty, fake or not?

Postby katox » 17 Sep 2013, 02:55

Hi,

I was looking for information of the printing process of the "From the Vault: Twenty", because recently I got a "FTV: Twenty" box from a local dealer.

It's the first time for me to buy a set of the FTV series. So I noticed that this cards are printed with different technique, other than the offset technique WotC have been using since the Alpha sets. When I get cards, I always use a magnifier to check them, so I can see the offset circular pattern, as the blue line in the middle of the cards. But the cards form the FTV box I got seems to be printed with a laser technique in the front (the art side), with offset in the back (the logo side) and have the blue core in the middle. So, I can not be sure if it's fake or real, since I read that the FTV series uses a unique foil process.

I'm asking here because I know there are experts in this area; plus i haven't found anything online related to that, except that Wizards is using a different foil process for the FTV series.

Please, can someone enlighten me?

Thanks.
katox

Re: From the vault: Twenty, fake or not?

Postby ShardFenix » 18 Nov 2013, 05:58

The best way to know whether any card like that is real or not is to burn it. If you're not too attached to one of the more "common" FTV cards (like Dark Ritual), the color of the flame tells you if it's real or not (youtube it). Obviously, this destroys your card so it's not preferable when testing whether a special set is legitimate.

Did you buy the FTV product in a plastic-wrapped box? AFAIK, nobody has been able to counterfeit Wizards' plastic wrap (the one with their logo, the same one that's found around all booster boxes). I'm not sure what kind of packaging they release FTV in.

Generally, if your store hasn't sold fake products before, they they never will. All stores order their products directly through Wizards, so as long as you trust your store, the product is real.
ShardFenix
DEVELOPER

Return to Off Topic Discussion