It is currently 17 May 2024, 03:19

Text Size

Creating a MTG set

Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere goes here...

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Creating a MTG set

Postby Andromoidus » 20 Jul 2011, 22:35

I'm creating a M:TG set and want to test out some ideas I had. The storyline of this set is that recently a group of powerful wizards, liches, have taken over every major nation, and now are fighting among each other to assume dominance over everything. However, they have forgotten that the citizens of the land still live, and are forming a resistance, and also that the Lich-King, Ha-Ted, is awakening and ready to kick their collective butts.

In legend and fable, a Lich was a wizard who tied his soul to a physical object called a phylactery, (yes, like Lord Voldemort, but it appeared in ancient Egyptian myth a few thousand years before the release of Harry Potter.) The liches in the set are powerful, but also must rely on being bound to a physical object, hence the creation of a new mechanic, (object)bound, which simple reads, "As you cast this card, put a phylactery counter on target (object)." Then, so long as you control an (object) with a phylactery counter on it, then the Lich has a special ability. Without these, it loses its special abilities.

Also a brainchild of this set is a blue mechanic called mindbreak. Whenever a creature with mindbreak X deals combat damage to a player, the damage is prevented and instead that player mills X cards. I think this fits a blue deck more easily than direct combat damage.

These are my thoughts. Questions? Comments? Concerns?

*note* I didn't know about the card, "Lich", until I previewed this draft. This has nothing to do with that.
Andromoidus

Return to Off Topic Discussion