It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:17

Text Size

What printer do you use for your proxies?

Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere goes here...

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Re: What printer do you use for your proxies?

Postby doxaios » 01 Sep 2008, 16:41

OK DONE!!!! =D> =D> The only thing is to print it when I find the printer!!Great work mate!I think that your post must pinned somewhere to see it everyone wants to learn how to do it.Thank you!!
doxaios

Postby MadMario » 06 May 2009, 23:40

I'm gonna have to try your method. I've just been using a picture package I made and adding the fulls into each cell. Then setting a stoke to 56 and setting the color to black. It was a pain to make the package layout though.
MadMario

Postby doxaios » 30 May 2009, 10:59

I am trying to put the backside exactly behind the front but I cant. Always is a little bit offset. Do you know any trick to achieve that?
doxaios

Postby Nate » 22 Jul 2009, 05:48

I use an Epson Stylus 2200. It has a straight through paper path, so can print on stiff paper. The paper is some card stock, I can't remember the brand or weight. It is reasonably stiff. I spent a lot of time going to paper shops and buying samples to print up before choosing the best one for the printer.

Interesting note: the way paper is made makes one direction bend easier than the other direction.
Nate
DEVELOPER

Postby doxaios » 22 Jul 2009, 13:44

Nate wrote:I can't remember the brand or weight.
Do that please.
doxaios

Postby Nate » 23 Jul 2009, 19:24

Yeah, the problem with that is all I have is a box full of paper. I went to a few paper shops, and once I decided on paper, they used a machine to cut me a bunch of 8.5"x11" sheets, which they gave me in an unmarked box. I don't remember what I have! That is going to suck if I ever need more paper. I'll have to take my last sheet into the shop and see if they can match it.

If your printer does not have a straight through paper path, you are severely limited in the thickness of the paper you can print on. In this case, just pick a paper that looks good because none of the paper you can print on will feel like a card. You could put the thin paper in a sleeve and it might feel better. You could even cut blanks out of thicker paper and put in the sleeve behind the print.
Nate
DEVELOPER

Postby doxaios » 04 Aug 2009, 18:04

Do you think that the 250gr/cm2 paper is the ideal for printing proxies? I think that maybe a little bit havier is more appropriate but I don't know which is the next after the 250? Does anyone knows?
doxaios

Postby Nate » 05 Aug 2009, 19:59

When I researched papers I knew all about it. Now I can't remember a thing! Best thing to do is get a couple sheets, stores will give you this for free. First cut out card shaped rectangles and see if they feel like cards. I found sleeves to be mandatory, since ink doesn't work on slick paper, and matte paper doesn't shuffle well. Also print on the paper and make sure the stiff paper goes through your printer and that the printed image looks good. Most printers can't print on card stock because the paper is too stiff to bend. Ideally you would use a print with a straight through paper path, like the Epson I mentioned above.
Nate
DEVELOPER

Postby doxaios » 06 Aug 2009, 08:06

Thanks for the advice but I don't print at home so the only issue I have is the weight. I print some in 250 but I think maybe a little bit more heavier is better.
Last edited by doxaios on 06 Aug 2009, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.
doxaios

Postby tcleary » 03 Oct 2009, 15:19

canon ip1800 which I got for free, some deal I forget. it works well for a $50 printer but it is inkjet of course so ink is fairly expensive. amazon has the 41 cartridge for around $21, that's the best deal I've found. the cartridge can print around 28 pages or so of proxies, so about 252 cards.

for paper I'm currently using staples photo plus gloss paper which runs about $20 for 50 sheets. it's 72lb or 270 g/m2, which is pretty good but I would like it to be thicker. i like the gloss because it makes the cards a little tougher and more substantial, they are still fairly fragile, but work fine in sleeves, they just feel a little thinner and less stiff than a real card, but the image quality is almost as good as a real card, very readable and playable.

for printing I take the easy route. use magic workstation, and print proxies 9 at a time from that. they look pretty darn good to me and it is so easy, no worrying about sizing and messing with options. the only weird thing is I can't seem to figure out how to print cards of different types (land/spell/creature) at the same time because magic workstation insists on separating those things and you can't use ctrl like in most applications to select different cards that are spread out, hard to explain exactly unless you are familar with the program. anyway I just always print at least 9 of the same type at once and use filler from other sets, I could just waste paper instead I guess.

my method costs something like 13 cents a card, which I think is pretty good for how they look. My method when a set comes out is to get 4x common/uncommon on ebay, then buy singles for the cheap rares (50 cents and under) then print the expensive stuff. makes magic much more enjoyable for me, I don't really like the thought of spending $20 on one stupid card.
tcleary

Postby tcleary » 12 Oct 2009, 22:24

not sure if this is national but officemax has hp photo paper for 50% off, they have a variety that is 66lb glossy and almost as good as the staples stuff I usually use, but with the discount it's around %60 cheaper so I bought all 3 100 sheet boxes my local store had, that's 2700 cards so should keep me in stock for a while.
tcleary

Postby montyhar2 » 24 Dec 2009, 04:30

Hey guys,
I think you may have misunderstood. The way that autodiscovery works in ALL browsers is that you must have a proxy auto-config file with that name. (No browser will probe for any proxies that happen to be on the nextwork, and having one that tried would be a network admin's nightmare.) The only difference is that Safari doesn't have a button to automatically fill it in for you.
montyhar2

Postby telengard » 24 Dec 2009, 16:50

I use artscow.com. The cards aren't as thick as MtG cards but I sleeve everything so it works out OK.

~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1215
telengard
DEVELOPER

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion