It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:32

Text Size

MTG Book Series

Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere goes here...

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

MTG Book Series

Postby DioEon » 24 Dec 2008, 09:38

I've read some of the Magic Book Series, and I have to know are there any other good ones out there that I've missed.

Legends Block
Ice Age Block
The Thran (Favorite)
Invasion Block
Colors of Magic
Dragons of Legend?
Mirrodin Block
Rath And Storm

Lets hear it, which ones did you guys like? Lets here what other books you like to read other than magic. I've been needing new reading material lately.
DioEon

Re: MTG Book Series

Postby staggerwingjtstw » 24 Dec 2008, 10:29

Well if you're going to read Mirrodin, you should ready Odyssey and Onslaught, which ties in to Mirrodin. If you're going to read Odyssey, you need to read the Weatherlight.
I like being bad... it makes me happy...
staggerwingjtstw

Postby Goblin Hero » 24 Dec 2008, 12:35

DioEon wrote:I've read some of the Magic Book Series,
Lets hear it, which ones did you guys like?
I've read several books from Magic Series (some in translation, one in original [just to be sure it's not translator's fault]). IMHO they're all bad. If they were not about MTG I've dropped reading after several chapters.
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kl3p_co. » 25 Dec 2008, 00:10

agreed,I just tried to read Time Spiral,and I finished after I read the first chapter..
Always outnumbered. Never outtrolled.
Kl3p_co.

Postby DioEon » 27 Dec 2008, 10:55

I probably should have phrased it a bit better. What kind of books do you guys like to read? Hitchhiker's Guide? Dune?
DioEon

Postby staggerwingjtstw » 27 Dec 2008, 18:48

First, before I tell you my books, I have to tell you my game callsign. Everything makes sense knowing it. I go by TK-421, the infamous stormtrooper who's comm fails and he just doesn't make it.

Knowing that, the entire list of Stars Wars makes a lot more sense. Specifically, the New Jedi Order, especially Vector Prime is amazing. I haven't read the Legacy saga yet, but it sounds pretty awesome.

I've read some other books, but nothing notable.
staggerwingjtstw

Postby Kl3p_co. » 03 Jan 2009, 17:15

Hitchhikers Guide is one of the best book series,imo.I read alot of fantasy,mainly Warcraft and Diablo(Knaak has a very good writing style)
Always outnumbered. Never outtrolled.
Kl3p_co.

Postby viberunner » 09 Feb 2009, 07:03

HH2G is a masterpiece of literature, truly a modern landmark. There are very, very few series that do or will ever compare to it. If you like it, try the Dirk Gently series too. Terry Pratchett is pretty much the only guy who writes anything like Douglas Adams. TP is a pale shade of DA, but still an insightful, humourous, and inventive one.

I wanted to like the Star Wars books so much. I love the films and can put my "serious head" on hold for trashy fun, but my god the Star Wars books as so badly written they're unbearable. Actively terrible, hideious writing. Sorry for not agreeing with you, to each his own. :)

Some sci-fi suggestions; try John Wyndam, a British sci-fi author. You might know Day of the Trifids (movies, tv), and the Midwich Cuckoos (filmed as Village/Children of the Damned movies), but his work (published in the 50s) was ahead of it's time. Worth seeking out. And for that matter Philip K. Dick, he of Bladerunner fame. His novels and short stories are much better than the films (and the films are still very good).
viberunner

Postby Nyth » 09 Feb 2009, 07:55

As a huge DNA fan, my only comments would be to add that viberunner has mentioned some worthy authors of the SciFi/Fantasy genre.

Put them all together to get:
For your humorous or slightly fantastical side: Douglas N. Adams, Sir Terry Pratchett (recently knighted for those who didn't know), Neil Gaiman
For your more traditional: John Wyndam, Ray Bradbury, H. G. Wells
For your slightly more modern: Philip K. Dick, Isaac Asimov, Sir Arthur C. Clarke

For epic storytelling you can also throw in Frank Herbert (of Dune fame), Robert Jordan (of Wheel of Time fame), Stephen Donaldson (of Thomas Covenant fame) and J.R.R. Tolkien for being a pure literary genius.

Seems like I just listed all the books on that part of my library. Need I go on?
Nyth
HQ Team Member

Postby Goblin Hero » 09 Feb 2009, 09:03

Do not forget the Dragonlance series. At least the first trilogy (the rest are much worse).
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby staggerwingjtstw » 09 Feb 2009, 09:52

viberunner wrote:I wanted to like the Star Wars books so much.... but my god the Star Wars books as so badly written they're unbearable.
I can actually agree with you. A lot of the books that came out between the two trilogies (The Crystal Star, Darksaber, etc...) are REALLY bad. But I'd love to hear what you think of the newer stuff like NJO and Legacy if you've read it. :D
staggerwingjtstw

Postby andros414 » 09 Feb 2009, 23:14

If you like books about dragons, I've enjoyed the "Dragonriders of Pern" series by Anne McCaffrey, as well as her "Crystal Singer" Trilogy, "Talent" trilogy, and "Tower and Hive" series.

Summed up, the Crystal Singer Trilogy focuses on people who mine special crystals using song. The Talent trilogy and Tower and Hive series are set in the same universe, with the Talent trilogy focusing more on the developing of psychic potential in people and the Tower and Hive series is set in the far future of the Talent trilogy.

Asides from a ton of one-offs I've read, the above series have stuck in my mind the most.
andros414

Postby philamp » 12 Apr 2010, 18:41

uhh, does anybody know any links to where i could download some of the books? ryt now i have The Arena by William Forstchen (in PDF format).

any useful info would really be, uhhh, "useful" :lol:
philamp

Postby Huggybaby » 12 Apr 2010, 19:57

Hey phil, that's three posts on the same topic.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby philamp » 13 Apr 2010, 16:37

oh, sorry huggy.. uhmm. is it against some forum etiquette? i'm kinda new to this stuff. sorry if i posted too many.. i just wanted to make sure people could read them..
philamp

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion