It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:11

Text Size

OFFICIAL DECK BUILDER CONTEST! June/July VOTING THREAD

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

OFFICIAL DECK BUILDER CONTEST! June/July VOTING THREAD

Postby Resonantg » 17 Jul 2010, 16:26

It's voting time! Congrats and good luck to all those who entered our inaugural Bi Monthly deck building contest. It's been a lot of fun seeing these new decks show up to compete over a theme.

Our current entries are as follows:

-A Summer In Dubai http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2701&start=15#p37315
-Camp Expidition http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2701&start=15#p37749
-Don't Go In The Water http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2701#p34951
-Forest Fire http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2701&start=15#p37493
-Picnic http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2701&start=15#p36719
-Stormfront http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2701#p36640
-Summer Bloom http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2701#p35081
-Summertime http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2701&start=15#p37775
-Sun Lotion http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2701#p34942

Voting Rules

- Anyone may vote once even those who did not enter the contest.

- All votes must be in by Midnight July 31st Central Time for them to count.

- YOU MAY NOT VOTE FOR YOURSELF.

- "Vote Trading" or campaigning will disqualify the decks involved. You get to campaign all you want when you posted your deck and made your case on how it fit the theme before.

- You are voting for your top 3 decks in a 'win, place, show' format. Post your votes in this thread. Please record your votes like this:

1st Place: Name of Deck (Add any comments in parenthesis)
2nd Place: Name of Deck (Add any comments in parenthesis)
3rd Place: Name of Deck (Add any comments in parenthesis)

- First place is worth three points, second is worth 2 points and third is worth 1 point.

- After all votes are in, they will total them up and officially announce the winner shortly after that.

- The winner gets bragging rights, and the right to choose the subject of the next bi-monthly competition.

There was talk about some other reward, but that has not been settled on yet by the mods, so I will inform the winners if/when it's necessary.

If someone wants to compose a graphic base for the three places for people to have and use to gloat, marvelous. Something that could fit in a signature would be nice too.

How to judge a deck

This is pretty much up to you. When the decks were created, their goal is to fit the theme as they saw fit. To determine which one is 'better' in your mind, it can be judged on effectiveness against the others, creativity, humor, fun, what have you. Me personally, I'm going to take all those things into account when I judge decks.

Good luck to you all, and may the best decks win!
Resonantg

Re: OFFICIAL DECK BUILDER CONTEST! June/July VOTING THREAD

Postby psillusionist » 22 Jul 2010, 03:38

I based my votes on:

Theme (10%) - Pretty much self-explanatory. If it represents an aspect of summer, it gets a perfect score from me.

Deck composition (30%) - I judged card choices based on threat durability and efficiency, answer flexibility and efficiency, mana curve and tempo, win condition feasibility, card advantage, and synergy.

Performance (60%) - What I did was I took my time to learn each deck, used each against all the others, then tabulated the results based on their performance when played by a human against the other decks played by the AI. As a side note, I was very meticulous in this area. If under any time I felt I made a mistake in playing a deck, I restarted the match to ensure that the deck was being played to its optimum potential.

Anyway, here are my votes:

1st
Camping Expedition

2nd
Don't Go in the Water

3rd
Sun Lotion

I was rooting for the Merfolk deck by the way, but I have to stick to the objective data.
psillusionist

Postby Chris H. » 22 Jul 2010, 16:46

I feel a little uncomfortable about voting in public as I do not want to hurt anyones feelings. I liked all of the decks and enjoyed playing them. I had fun.

1. Picnic by Cyplix
2. Summertime by Slowe
3. Forest Fire by Psillusionist

I spent some time trying to figure out the size for jpgs that are included in the signature. A lot of time has gone by since the size restrictions were last discussed.

I spent a little time trying to create a sideways prize ribbon that the winners could add to their signature. My initial efforts looked pretty bad … not sure if I would want to inflict my pic on my friends here. :lol:
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby psillusionist » 23 Jul 2010, 00:46

Chris H. wrote:I feel a little uncomfortable about voting in public as I do not want to hurt anyones feelings.
A huge ditto on that one. :lol: But just so everyone knows, it was a lot of fun trying out everyone's decks. :)
psillusionist

Postby Resonantg » 23 Jul 2010, 02:51

Don't worry guys, you get used to it.
Resonantg

Postby DennisBergkamp » 23 Jul 2010, 02:51

1. Camp Expedition
2. Sun Lotion
3. Stormfront
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Corwin72 » 27 Jul 2010, 21:01

-Summertime
-A Summer In Dubai
-Stormfront
Corwin72

Postby Resonantg » 29 Jul 2010, 16:04

Due to circumstances beyond my control the voting is hereby extended to Friday the 6th. Sorry guys....
Resonantg

Postby apthaven » 02 Aug 2010, 17:30

1. Stormfront
2. Sun Lotion
3. A Summer in Dubai
"I am a man and real men do not consume pink beverages. Get thee gone woman, and bring me something brown." - Jace Wayland
apthaven
Tester

Postby Resonantg » 07 Aug 2010, 05:39

And my votes.

1. Picnic
2. Sun Lotion
3. Camp Expedition
Resonantg

Postby Resonantg » 07 Aug 2010, 05:45

Congratulations to all on the fine entries that we had. Sorry about the extra week delay, but here are the results for the June/July '10 Deck Building Contest.

1st Place. "Camp Expedition" by Apthaven

2nd Place. "Picnic" by Cyplix

3rd Place. "Sun Lotion" by Sloth

Honorable Mentions to Slowe for his Summertime deck.

I will contact the board and see if we can do something more than bragging rights for these three excellent designers for prizes. Apthaven, you have the onus on you to pick our next contest. I'll send you a PM where we can discuss it, and hopefully the August/September contest will be a good one as well.

Once again, great job everyone! I'm glad to see all the ingenuity with your work.
Resonantg

Postby Chris H. » 07 Aug 2010, 13:44

Chris H. wrote:I spent some time trying to figure out the size for jpgs that are included in the signature. A lot of time has gone by since the size restrictions were last discussed.

I spent a little time trying to create a sideways prize ribbon that the winners could add to their signature. My initial efforts looked pretty bad … not sure if I would want to inflict my pic on my friends here. :lol:
`
My efforts were a failure, my artistic talents are non-existent. If someone else would like to take a shot a it here is a link that may help:

New Signature Graphics Size
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby apthaven » 10 Aug 2010, 09:41

I wasn't really expecting to win, but anyway, thanks to all to those who supported my deck, and to those others as well.

As for the next deck builder's theme, I haven't really thought about it yet. But I may base it on the upcoming set, or anything like that... but I guess I'll have to do some research first :lol:

Just send me a PM, Resonantg.
"I am a man and real men do not consume pink beverages. Get thee gone woman, and bring me something brown." - Jace Wayland
apthaven
Tester

Postby slowe » 10 Aug 2010, 18:38

Congrats to apthaven and all the other deckbuilders; it was fun playing with everything you came up with. Unfortunately I've been kind of cut off from the rest of the world, which, combined with my procrastinating ways, kept me from getting my votes in...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to next month and a new theme! :D
slowe

Postby Resonantg » 14 Aug 2010, 05:35

Don't worry guys. The next theme will be up soon... (by Monday at the latest I suspect). Apthaven and I are nailing down the details.

One thing I should pass on to everyone because this made me think of it.

When choosing a theme it must be describable in 10 words or less, and not require any previous knowledge of the stories to build a deck. If I have to follow a link or read more than flavor text to get the idea, it's too complex. So when you win, just keep that in mind. :)

The idea Apthaven has is going to be interesting to see what it inspires.
Resonantg

Return to Forge Decks