It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:05

Text Size

How close have you come?

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

How close have you come?

Postby timmermac » 24 Jul 2010, 23:36

So my question for everybody is: How close have you come to putting together your preferred deck(s) in quest mode? I'm fairly certain that everybody has a deck or four that they want to play with by the time it's all said and done, so what is it and how close have you gotten to putting it together? If you keep getting closer to your ultimate deck, feel free to edit your post as well so that we can see the evolution of your deck.

I've got about four that I want to put together. One is the ultimate version of the Burning Elf deck that I've posted here before. Another is my Sliver deck, the list for that is on the forums as well. The third one is a black/red discard deck that uses the various Specters, Megrim, some discard spells and Coat of Arms. The final one is a multi-colored Dragon deck, with Crucible of Fire and Sarkhan Vol, which I think I have a copy of.

The closest I've come to any of those is with Slivers, as in one of the beta's, I had probably 20-30 slivers put together, along with a Beastmaster Ascension and a Doubling Season.
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Re: How close have you come?

Postby Chris H. » 25 Jul 2010, 00:26

I tend to create one starting pool after another until I get one that has something which convinces me that I have a keeper. It may have several threat removals or several interesting looking cards. I tend to swarm the computer with creatures in the early stages and later replace a few creatures with good threat removal cards.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby slowe » 25 Jul 2010, 01:46

I don't really go into a quest planning to play any particular decks, but I usually end up with three or four focused decks. For example, in the first quest mode with a card shop, a Living Death I won caught my eye, and I ended up building a deck around it as a sort of main goal for that quest. I also built a vampire deck because I had lots of them running around, as well as a discard deck with Nyxathid and Guul Draz Specter. An aggressive red-green deck and a Bant-colored sliver deck with 4x Crystalline Sliver rounded out the first quest.
Since then I've made an elf deck that ramps to Eldrazi Conscription, a goblin deck, an unearth deck, a silly Dark Confidant/Death's Shadow deck, a ridiculous Epic Struggle deck, a levelers deck, a crappy aura deck, and a few aggro Naya or sligh decks as my main quest mode decks.

Of these my favorite were the Living Death deck and the unearth deck, and the most streamlined were Gobbos:

31 Creatures
-------------
1x Boggart Ram-Gang
4x Goblin Chieftain
2x Goblin King
4x Goblin Lackey
4x Goblin Matron
4x Goblin Piledriver
4x Goblin Ringleader
2x Mogg War Marshal
2x Siege-Gang Commander
4x Warren Instigator

4 Spells
----------
3x AEther Vial
1x Skred

25 Land
--------
1x Bloodstained Mire
24x Snow-Covered Mountain

and Living Death:

21 Creatures
-------------
4x Igneous Pouncer
2x Jungle Weaver
1x Monstrous Carabid
2x Mortivore
4x Ridge Rannet
3x Shriekmaw
4x Street Wraith
1x Twisted Abomination

15 Spells
----------
1x Dark Ritual
2x Duress
4x Living Death
1x Mox Jet
1x Tendrils of Corruption
1x Thoughtseize
4x Unmake
1x Vampiric Tutor

24 Land
--------
1x Badlands
1x Blood Crypt
3x Snow-Covered Swamp
19x Swamp

As for my current quest, I'm only at around 100 wins, and I'm not done buying upgrades, so I don't really have a focus. However, I do have a few titans I want to have some fun with, as well as three Vengevines, so deckbuilding will probably center on those.

Oh yeah, I play the quest mode way too much. 8-[
slowe

Postby Chris H. » 25 Jul 2010, 11:30

slowe wrote:Oh yeah, I play the quest mode way too much. 8-[
`
A large number of us folk suffer from this same affliction. 8)
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Use what I have

Postby mtgrares » 27 Jul 2010, 17:49

I just look at which 2 colors have the most cards and smash them together into a deck. If the deck plays very badly, I swap out one of the colors for a color that has evasion or a few spells/creatures that would win the game. I also use 9 of each land, for a total of 18. It’s a little high but very consistent.

I also keep this rule in mind, no more than 5 cards that cost 5 or more. So I cut big spells first and then the small ones.

I practically ignore all creatures that only attack for 1 including 1/X creatures since they are very pitiful. I also ignore creatures that need to be pumped up because I don't really want to pay 2B for just a 1/1 that needs to be pumped up.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Quest is addictive

Postby mtgrares » 27 Jul 2010, 17:51

Quest is very addictive. I sort of just threw the first quest mode together and Dennis added a ton of extra features with the fantasy quest mode.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Return to Forge Decks