It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 17:52

Text Size

Quest decks revamp

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Quest decks revamp

Postby Sloth » 25 Apr 2011, 16:46

Chris H. wrote:Sounds interesting but it may be difficult to implement. We currently have a large number of hard decks to battle. How many tier 4 decks could we create? Would it be fun to graduate from facing a larger number of hard decks and then facing just a few killer tier 4 decks? Would people continue their quest?

Or, towards the end of the quest we could display 2 or 3 hard deck opponents and add in an expert opponent deck. This would allow tier 4 decks without there being a separate fourth tier.

It might be fun to consider a similar sort of system earlier in the quest. Rather that going from all easy decks to all medium decks there could be a few battles in between where there would be a mixture of the two.
This sounds really good. Maybe the reward for defeating an opponent can depend on the tier it's from?

Chris H. wrote:I guess that we could replace the regenerating creatures in the Doc Holiday decks with something better.

I hate to totally give up on having a regen deck. Sol spent some time improving the regen AF and I would like to showcase this in one of the decks. Do you have any ideas for a deck of regen creatures?
Some mass destruction allows regeneration: Nevinyrral's Disk and Magus of the Disk

EDIT:more deck comments:

Lisa Simpson 3 - WG Devour deck with tokens, Skullmulcher and Gluttonous Slime.
Should be a tier 2 deck. (Should also have better token generators)

Magneto 3 - B deck with Shriekmaw, Assassins, creature removal and Liliana Vess
Lacks synergy. Weak cards(Charcoal Diamond, Gravedigger, Demonic Tutor,Diabolic Tutor)

Marge Simpson 3 - RG deck with tokens which are devoured by R and RG creatures with devour
same as Lisa Simpson 3.

Neo 3 - RG deck with Groundbreaker and other attack once then sacrifice at EoT creatures
This decks doesn't have much synergy. 4 Joiner Adept, 4 Darksteel Ingot and 4 Birds of Paradise in a two color deck?

Pinky and the Brain 3 - WB Royal Assassin deck with WoG, Damnation, Liliana Vess and Beacon of Unrest
When I have time I turn this into a deck more focused on Royal Assassin using whites tap effects.
Sloth
Programmer

Postby Corwin72 » 25 Apr 2011, 17:22

Treebeard 1 should not have 4 Battlewand Oak in a deck filled with treefolk and forests.
Bashing for 5 or 7 on turn 4 is rough if it can do it consistently.
Replace with Woodland Changeling?
Corwin72

Postby Sloth » 25 Apr 2011, 19:05

Corwin72 wrote:Treebeard 1 should not have 4 Battlewand Oak in a deck filled with treefolk and forests.
Bashing for 5 or 7 on turn 4 is rough if it can do it consistently.
Replace with Woodland Changeling?
Right. Replaced with some treefolk (a good curve is not so important in tier 1 decks). Everbark Shaman is even synergystic (but not powerful).

EDIT:

Storm - Lifelink deck with Phyrexian Arena
Not a lot of synergy, shaky manabase and Storm 3 is not powerful enough (Windwright Mage, El-Hajjaj, Zebra Unicorn)
Sloth
Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 26 Apr 2011, 14:23

Sloth wrote:
Chris H. wrote:Sounds interesting but it may be difficult to implement. We currently have a large number of hard decks to battle. How many tier 4 decks could we create? Would it be fun to graduate from facing a larger number of hard decks and then facing just a few killer tier 4 decks? Would people continue their quest?

Or, towards the end of the quest we could display 2 or 3 hard deck opponents and add in an expert opponent deck. This would allow tier 4 decks without there being a separate fourth tier.

It might be fun to consider a similar sort of system earlier in the quest. Rather that going from all easy decks to all medium decks there could be a few battles in between where there would be a mixture of the two.
`
This sounds really good. Maybe the reward for defeating an opponent can depend on the tier it's from?
`
It might be possible to award an extra Rare as an additional reward.

Sloth wrote:Magneto 3 - B deck with Shriekmaw, Assassins, creature removal and Liliana Vess
Lacks synergy. Weak cards(Charcoal Diamond, Gravedigger, Demonic Tutor,Diabolic Tutor)
`
I spent a few minutes and came up with a Shriekmaw theme deck:

Magneto 3 revision | Open
Magneto 3
[general]
constructed
[main]
3 Big Game Hunter
3 Bone Shredder
3 Nekrataal
3 Shriekmaw
3 Dark Hatchling
4 Revive the Fallen
4 Animate Dead
4 Vicious Hunger
2 Beacon of Unrest
2 Liliana Vess
23 Swamp
1 Mox Jet
4 Terror
1 Tendrils of Corruption
[sideboard]

Oops, Revive the Fallen does not quite work the way I had imagined. Any suggestions on a replacement for this card?
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Sloth » 26 Apr 2011, 14:41

Chris H. wrote:
Sloth wrote:This sounds really good. Maybe the reward for defeating an opponent can depend on the tier it's from?
`
It might be possible to award an extra Rare as an additional reward.
I'm working on this part at the moment.

Chris H. wrote:
Sloth wrote:Magneto 3 - B deck with Shriekmaw, Assassins, creature removal and Liliana Vess
`
I spent a few minutes and came up with a Shriekmaw theme deck:

Magneto 3 revision | Open
Magneto 3
[general]
constructed
[main]
3 Big Game Hunter
3 Bone Shredder
3 Nekrataal
3 Shriekmaw
3 Dark Hatchling
4 Revive the Fallen
4 Animate Dead
4 Vicious Hunger
2 Beacon of Unrest
2 Liliana Vess
23 Swamp
1 Mox Jet
4 Terror
1 Tendrils of Corruption
[sideboard]

Oops, Revive the Fallen does not quite work the way I had imagined. Any suggestions on a replacement for this card?
- Puppeteer Clique?
- Maybe replace Terror with Go for the Throat, since you already have 15 cards that can only destroy nonblack creatures.
- Hymn to Tourach works good with reanimating your opponents stuff and helps a little fighting creatureless decks (against which this deck doesn't do well).
Sloth
Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 27 Apr 2011, 12:07

Sloth wrote:- Puppeteer Clique?
- Maybe replace Terror with Go for the Throat, since you already have 15 cards that can only destroy nonblack creatures.
- Hymn to Tourach works good with reanimating your opponents stuff and helps a little fighting creatureless decks (against which this deck doesn't do well).
`
I think this version is stronger. Thank you for the advice. The Horrifying Revelation with the Hymn to Tourach helps.

Magneto 3 revision 2 | Open
Magneto 3
[general]
constructed
[main]
3 Big Game Hunter
3 Bone Shredder
3 Nekrataal
3 Shriekmaw
3 Dark Hatchling
3 Animate Dead
2 Puppeteer Clique
1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Liliana Vess
23 Swamp
1 Mox Jet
2 Ashen Powder
4 Go for the Throat
4 Horrifying Revelation
4 Hymn to Tourach
[sideboard]
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Chris H. » 28 Apr 2011, 12:47

Sloth wrote:Pinky and the Brain 3 - WB Royal Assassin deck with WoG, Damnation, Liliana Vess and Beacon of Unrest
When I have time I turn this into a deck more focused on Royal Assassin using whites tap effects.
`
Good job on redoing Pinky and the Brain. This is a realy old deck, it was created back when Squall Drifter and similar cards were hard coded and their canPlayAI() method would simply return a False, they had no AI at that time.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Chris H. » 29 Apr 2011, 00:34

Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Sloth » 29 Apr 2011, 07:29

Chris H. wrote:
Sloth wrote:Green Lantern 3 - UBR Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker deck with threat removal and several creatures
Lacks synergy and has a bad mana curve. Some very weak cards (Pardic Collaborator, Ridgetop Raptor, Shatter).
`
I think that this revision might do the trick:

Green Lantern 3 revision | Open
Green Lantern 3
[general]
constructed
[main]
2 Stream Hopper
2 Grixis Grimblade
2 Tidehollow Strix
2 Inkfathom Infiltrator
2 Riverfall Mimic
2 Noggle Hedge-Mage
2 Blood Cultist
2 Noggle Bandit
2 Sedraxis Specter
2 Lightning Reaver
2 Ashenmoor Liege
2 Glen Elendra Liege
2 Mindwrack Liege
1 Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
1 Ancestral Recall
3 Flame Slash
2 Cerebral Eruption
2 Concentrate
1 Breath of Malfegor
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
4 Badlands
4 Underground Sea
4 Volcanic Island
3 Crosis's Catacombs
1 Leechridden Swamp
3 Crumbling Necropolis
1 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Lavaclaw Reaches
[sideboard]
The power level looks good Chris. This is definitely an improvemant.
I'm a bit concerned that we have 4 UBR decks that don't have a "proper" theme: Green Lantern 3, Higgins 3, Homer Simpson 3 and Indiana Jones 3.

I will turn Homer Simpson into an Sacrifice deck and Higgins into a better controlish deck. On the long run Green Lantern and Indiana Jones should become a little more distinguishable.
Any ideas?
Sloth
Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 29 Apr 2011, 10:20

Sloth wrote:I'm a bit concerned that we have 4 UBR decks that don't have a "proper" theme: Green Lantern 3, Higgins 3, Homer Simpson 3 and Indiana Jones 3.

I will turn Homer Simpson into an Sacrifice deck and Higgins into a better controlish deck. On the long run Green Lantern and Indiana Jones should become a little more distinguishable.
Any ideas?
`
Hmmm, themes.

What if I through together a Deathtouch deck for one of them and a Wither deck for the other?
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Sloth » 29 Apr 2011, 13:12

Chris H. wrote:
Sloth wrote:I'm a bit concerned that we have 4 UBR decks that don't have a "proper" theme: Green Lantern 3, Higgins 3, Homer Simpson 3 and Indiana Jones 3.

Any ideas?
`
Hmmm, themes.

What if I through together a Deathtouch deck for one of them and a Wither deck for the other?
Yes, Deathtouch makes a great theme, black for deathtouch creatures and blue and red for ping auras like Arcane Teachings. :)

Wither is also a good theme, but should be GBR though.
Sloth
Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 29 Apr 2011, 15:30

Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Sloth » 30 Apr 2011, 17:15

Chris H. wrote:
Sloth wrote:Yes, Deathtouch makes a great theme, black for deathtouch creatures and blue and red for ping auras like Arcane Teachings. :)
`
Green Lantern 3 with DeathTouch Theme | Open
Green Lantern 3
[general]
constructed
[main]
4 Grixis Grimblade
4 Tidehollow Strix
4 Vampire Nighthawk
2 Nirkana Cutthroat
2 Pestilent Kathari
4 Moonglove Winnower
2 Ashenmoor Liege
2 Glen Elendra Liege
2 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
2 Viridian Claw
2 Eel Umbra
2 Magefire Wings
3 Arcane Teachings
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
4 Badlands
4 Underground Sea
4 Volcanic Island
3 Crosis's Catacombs
1 Leechridden Swamp
3 Crumbling Necropolis
1 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Lavaclaw Reaches
[sideboard]
My thoughts:
- Moonglove Winnower and Wurmcoil Engine come down too late and 16 Deathtouch creatures are enough.
- The Lieges are not so effective here, since a high power is not needed so much and some creatures are mono black.
- Viridian Claw is nice, since: Deathtouch + First Strike = Killing machine
- I can't see a reason for Eel Umbra and Magefire Wings.

Possible additions:
- Viridian Longbow, Fire Whip, Hermetic Study, Power of Fire and Psionic Gift.
- Maybe one copy of Electropotence.
Sloth
Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 01 May 2011, 00:27

I have tried a few versions of the deathtouch deck and have learned a few things.

Deathtouch + Viridian Longbow or Arcane Teachings is a nice combo for the human but the AI is currently unaware of this combo. The AI will only tap to damage a creature if the one point of damage is enough to kill the target. If not, it will target the human player instead.

The computer does not like to attack unless the small deathtouch creatures are pumped up one way or another. This explains why I resorted to using the Lieges and the auras and the equiptments.

The AI will attack with a small deathtouch creature if it has first strike even if the human has a larger defender in play. So, it would appear that the attacking and blocking code is aware of this particular combo.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Sloth » 01 May 2011, 07:57

Chris H. wrote:I have tried a few versions of the deathtouch deck and have learned a few things.

Deathtouch + Viridian Longbow or Arcane Teachings is a nice combo for the human but the AI is currently unaware of this combo. The AI will only tap to damage a creature if the one point of damage is enough to kill the target. If not, it will target the human player instead.

The computer does not like to attack unless the small deathtouch creatures are pumped up one way or another. This explains why I resorted to using the Lieges and the auras and the equiptments.

The AI will attack with a small deathtouch creature if it has first strike even if the human has a larger defender in play. So, it would appear that the attacking and blocking code is aware of this particular combo.
Oh, good catch Chris. I just gave the AI a lesson in damage dealing. Run a quick test with Tidehollow Strix and Psionic Gift - looks alright now.
Sloth
Programmer

PreviousNext

Return to Forge Decks