It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 06:33

Text Size

New quest decks

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: New quest decks

Postby Agetian » 06 Feb 2016, 20:05

Sloth wrote:
tojammot wrote:Is it possible to test an AI deck with a given profile outside of quest mode? I'm not sure if applying the match personality from Preferences works or if it applies on both opponents.
When i play against the AI in constructed, the Preferences do apply.
To be honest I don't think the AI profile preferences work anymore, I tried choosing different options (including Random and Reckless) and every time I play vs. the AI in Constructed, I still get the Default profile behavior (confirmed by the appropriate message in the console). I wish this functionality could be restored for Constructed though (especially if the deck has no override specified in its metadata).

EDIT: Tried to fix this in r30813.

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby Sloth » 06 Feb 2016, 22:56

Agetian wrote:To be honest I don't think the AI profile preferences work anymore, I tried choosing different options (including Random and Reckless) and every time I play vs. the AI in Constructed, I still get the Default profile behavior (confirmed by the appropriate message in the console). I wish this functionality could be restored for Constructed though (especially if the deck has no override specified in its metadata).
The message in the console could be wrong. I tested the AI attack behavior some time ago and as far as i can remember it worked.

EDIT: Your "fix" is not a good idea. What do you want to achieve by replacing Default with a random profile?
Sloth
Programmer

Postby Agetian » 07 Feb 2016, 05:59

Sloth wrote:
Agetian wrote:To be honest I don't think the AI profile preferences work anymore, I tried choosing different options (including Random and Reckless) and every time I play vs. the AI in Constructed, I still get the Default profile behavior (confirmed by the appropriate message in the console). I wish this functionality could be restored for Constructed though (especially if the deck has no override specified in its metadata).
The message in the console could be wrong. I tested the AI attack behavior some time ago and as far as i can remember it worked.

EDIT: Your "fix" is not a good idea. What do you want to achieve by replacing Default with a random profile?
Well, in case you choose "Random (Match)" in the preferences, if that line is set to Default then every time you start a game, you get the Default profile instead of a random one, I actually tested it in the game and got the Default behavior every single time (not just the console message, but the actual behavior is indeed not randomized - just give the AI a deck with no lands in it and see it mulligan according to the Default profile preferences and never according to the Reckless profile preferences).

The implementation the way I saw it was broken and thus looked like a not a good idea either. :P I'm not sure what someone wanted to achieve by hard-setting it to Default in that location, tbh. :) With my change, at least this option (which happens to be the default, by the way) serves its original purpose of randomizing the AI profile every match. And it doesn't break the Quest mode profile setting because that setting is implemented as an override that takes place after the original preference-based profile is set.

Do you have any alternative suggestions to make it work correctly?

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby Sloth » 07 Feb 2016, 08:01

Agetian wrote:The implementation the way I saw it was broken and thus looked like a not a good idea either. :P I'm not sure what someone wanted to achieve by hard-setting it to Default in that location, tbh. :) With my change, at least this option (which happens to be the default, by the way) serves its original purpose of randomizing the AI profile every match. And it doesn't break the Quest mode profile setting because that setting is implemented as an override that takes place after the original preference-based profile is set.

Do you have any alternative suggestions to make it work correctly?
I changed the Reckless setting to actually play reckless now, which for most decks is just plain stupid. That's why it shouldn't be applied to randomly generated or drafted decks. If you want the random option, then please make Default the default option, because i don't want new players to quit after seeing a stupid AI in their first game.
Sloth
Programmer

Postby Agetian » 07 Feb 2016, 11:31

Sloth wrote:
Agetian wrote:I changed the Reckless setting to actually play reckless now, which for most decks is just plain stupid. That's why it shouldn't be applied to randomly generated or drafted decks. If you want the random option, then please make Default the default option, because i don't want new players to quit after seeing a stupid AI in their first game.
Yeah, this is a good idea, I've set the default option to the "Default" profile, now the default won't play stupidly 50% of the time and at the same time the random option will actually do what it's supposed to do. I also invalidated the previous IDs for random profiles so that existing users will not suddenly get the "weird reckless AI" behavior randomly (they will default to the "Default" profile until they manually change the profile option again, if desired).

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby Nordos » 07 Feb 2016, 14:16

dunno about the White Knight / Black Knight / Silver Knight (and partly, Goblin Wardriver).
You need a specific setup to cast them on turn 1 or 2. Most of the time they come as late as turn 3, due to bad mana fixing.
For what reason the 1 Plain/Mountain/Swamp anyway?

I would rather go with another Tormented Soul/Soltari Foot Soldier (why only one Soul anyway? Too much black mana already?). Not being able to block them, when they become huge threats extremly fast, is very dangerous. Sure, the Knights are immune to vital removal spells (somewhat), and against Mono they can be devastating. Otherwise? As long as the opponent controls First Strike as well, or a creature with huge life, or a Fog Bank, a wall or whatever, they are Vanilla 2/2 for two. Dunno.
Nordos

Postby tojammot » 07 Feb 2016, 15:28

Fair point, I figured the protection would be useful and thought about possible defenders to keep the deck alive (before realizing that it's Reckless in hindsight). I guess I judge too much merit on soley being able to handle random AI vs AI matchups.

Anyways I've added edits to the deck, maybe I can go further and make it 4-of 1/2-drop evasion creatures, dunno how it'll fare.
tojammot

Postby Sloth » 07 Feb 2016, 22:40

tojammot wrote:Anyways I've added edits to the deck, maybe I can go further and make it 4-of 1/2-drop evasion creatures, dunno how it'll fare.
Works quite nice already, puts on some good pressure. The only cards that didn't perform so well were Goblin Glory Chaser and Boggart Brute. Some of your other versions contained Stormblood Berserker which looks like a good follow up to Tormented Soul/Soltari Foot Soldier.
Sloth
Programmer

Postby tojammot » 08 Feb 2016, 02:33

Good catch.

-1 Goblin Glory Chaser
-1 Boggart Brute
+2 Stormblood Berserker

EDIT: How and where do you add/change images for quest opponents? I've got a small handful and some replacements for existing ones (Fat Albert & Genghis Khan)
tojammot

Postby Sloth » 09 Feb 2016, 11:17

tojammot wrote:EDIT: How and where do you add/change images for quest opponents? I've got a small handful and some replacements for existing ones (Fat Albert & Genghis Khan)
Send KrazyTheFox a pm and you will receive acces to the FTP server where the pics are stored.
Sloth
Programmer

Postby tojammot » 10 Feb 2016, 05:07

FTP, huh? A bit out of my league, I'll consider it some other time.

Also, woah, did sunburst get an AI update?
tojammot

Postby Sloth » 12 Feb 2016, 22:22

Here is a try to build a very basic aggro deck with the Reckless Profile. No synergies other than accumulated early pressure.

Rambo 2 | Open
21 Mountain
4 Vexing Devil
4 Tattermunge Maniac
4 Goblin Guide
3 Jackal Pup
4 Zurgo Bellstriker
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Ash Zealot
2 Lightning Mauler
1 Reckless Bushwhacker
1 Goblin Freerunner