It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 05:33

Text Size

The Hive

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

The Hive

Postby Chris H. » 04 Nov 2008, 12:53

I recently discovered MTG Forge. I visited the blog and found a .jpg file for the wasp token on (June 2008):

http://mtgrares.blogspot.com/2008_06_01_archive.html

The url for the .jpg token is:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_yjlZLfLN_aY/SEQsgRtjzgI/AAAAAAAAAZM/_-WmLa-U5Ng/s1600-h/10e-006.jpg

I moved a copy of the wasp .jpg token to the forge folder and created a simple The Hive deck. The forge game will use the .jpg to display the wasp token instead of displaying a generic box token.

I attempted to fine tune this deck and it works fairly well against the computer.

Ancestral Recall 1
Bayou 3
Control Magic 3
Counterspell 3
Damnation 3
Demonic Tutor 1
Gaea's Anthem 2
Glorious Anthem 2
Harmonize 4
Library of Alexandria 1
Mox Emerald 1
Mox Jet 1
Mox Pearl 1
Mox Sapphire 1
Regrowth 1
Savannah 4
Scrubland 3
Tanglebloom 3
The Hive 3
Timetwister 1
Tropical Island 3
Tundra 4
Underground Sea 4
Vindicate 4
Wrath of God 3
Attachments
The-Hive.deck
(781 Bytes) Downloaded 347 times
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Re: The Hive

Postby GandoTheBard » 04 Nov 2008, 14:41

Hmmm I have never had luck getting the Program to use images for tokens. I'm guessing you need to name the file exactly as per the token name. Thanks for the insight. :)

Some points about the deck:
Looks like a standard type 1 control deck except your win condition is just a tad slow...but since you are playing control and the AI is ill equipped to handle that you are probably safe.
7 wraths seems a bit much...
Vindicate but not plow?
Regrowth but not Witness?
Counter spell but not Exclude? and only 3?
Gaea's/Glorious Anthems? Id run 0 or 1 not 4.
Tangle bloom? why x3? Why?

Anyway those comments aside you will probably do ok even if you get funky draws. But unless you steal a great creature expect your games to last a really long time.
visit my personal homepage here: http://outofthebrokensky.com

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby mtgrares » 04 Nov 2008, 17:56

Most tokens don't have names and MTG Forge gets the card picture from the card name. Thanks for the picture.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby Chris H. » 04 Nov 2008, 20:02

GandoTheBard wrote:Hmmm I have never had luck getting the Program to use images for tokens. I'm guessing you need to name the file exactly as per the token name. Thanks for the insight. :)
The Hive States:

"5, tap: Put a 1/1 Insect artifact creature token with flying named Wasp into play."

Thus the name of the .jpg must be "Wasp.jpg"

There appears to be 4 other cards which create tokens with a specific name. Unfortunately these names match a creature card that is already included in this game.

Cloudseeker creates a token named "Cloud Sprite"
Goldmeadow Lookout creates a token named "Goldmeadow Harrier"
Sliversmith creates a token named "Metallic Harrier"
Sparkspitter creates a token named "Spark Elemental"

I hope version 2 will allow all tokens to be displayed via a .jpg file.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Chris H. » 04 Nov 2008, 20:05

GandoTheBard wrote:Some points about the deck:
Looks like a standard type 1 control deck except your win condition is just a tad slow...but since you are playing control and the AI is ill equipped to handle that you are probably safe.
Vindicate but not plow?

Anyway those comments aside you will probably do ok even if you get funky draws. But unless you steal a great creature expect your games to last a really long time.
The idea behind the deck is to win using just the wasp tokens to damage the computer. And to enjoy the picture of the wasp tokens while doing so.

The deck has 6 wraths, 3 white and 3 black. I'm considering reducing this to 4 or 5 but I'm currently unsure of what I should use in place of these cards.

Vindicate can destroy any permanent. Oubliette and Oblivion Ring.

I'm using Regrowth because I wanted a deck with no included creature cards.

Counterspell will negate an Armageddon.

The Gaea's/Glorious Anthems help to make up for the fact that a wasp is normally just a 1/1 creature. The deck is slow enough as it is.

Tangle Bloom helps to make up for the life lost early in the game while waiting for your cards to come into play. It also gives you something to spend extra mana on later in the game. There may be something else that could replace these 3 cards.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby GandoTheBard » 04 Nov 2008, 21:51

Chris H. wrote:
GandoTheBard wrote:Some points about the deck:
Vindicate but not plow?

The idea behind the deck is to win using just the wasp tokens to damage the computer. And to enjoy the picture of the wasp tokens while doing so.

The deck has 6 wraths, 3 white and 3 black. I'm considering reducing this to 4 or 5 but I'm currently unsure of what I should use in place of these cards.

Vindicate can destroy any permanent. Oubliette and Oblivion Ring.

I'm using Regrowth because I wanted a deck with no included creature cards.

Counterspell will negate an Armageddon.

The Gaea's/Glorious Anthems help to make up for the fact that a wasp is normally just a 1/1 creature. The deck is slow enough as it is.

Tangle Bloom helps to make up for the life lost early in the game while waiting for your cards to come into play. It also gives you something to spend extra mana on later in the game. There may be something else that could replace these 3 cards.
6 wraths? I must have miscounted...anyway seems excessive.

Vindicate does indeed destroy any permanent (if it doesn't regenerate) but it is not often that a creatureless deck need worry about oblivion ring or oubliette. Nevinyrral's disk maybe more so...but thats really a meta game choice...if you are playing a deck that disks regularly sure include vindicates. Plow is a more permanent solution and works much better with Timetwister.

Regrowth...yep good reason...If you are seeking purity of purpose. :)

Yes but why not excludes as well since you are playing the control.

Gaea's Anthem etc...seems like a wasted slot to me. Once you have control you will not need anthems. If you dont get control your deck isnt controlling enough. :D

Life gain is generally a little overrated...when it is GOOD is when it combines with some other useful effect or when it is efficient. Tanglebloom isnt particularly efficient nor does it have a useful sideeffect...USING UP MANA IS NOT A GOOD THING. :D Even at the end of your opponent's turn.

Though the caveat to these comments is that you are playing a dumbed down opponent who may give you good reason not to change the deck at all. :)
Last edited by GandoTheBard on 05 Nov 2008, 17:08, edited 2 times in total.
visit my personal homepage here: http://outofthebrokensky.com

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby jpb » 05 Nov 2008, 16:48

I'd ditch the Gaea's Anthem in favor of more control. Perhaps Swords of Plowshare or more countering.
jpb

Return to Forge Decks