It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 15:10

Text Size

Blue Counterspell

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Blue Counterspell

Postby mtgrares » 10 Nov 2008, 22:37

This is a classic blue permission deck. Your goal is to counter any creature bigger than a 1/1 using Counterspell and Remove Soul. Hopefully you can draw Wall of Air which keeps the computer from attacking and this deck’s win condition is Keiga. One of the goals of this deck is to abuse Library of Alexandria: use it during the computer’s end of turn, if you have two Library of Alexandria’s put both of them on the stack, etc… Repulse either lets you buy some time by bouncing a big attacker or lets you bounce a creature to let Keiga through. Ancestral Recall is insane, so I only put one of them in this deck. Sensei's Divining Top is a blue wizard’s dream since you can use it at EOT, so in case you have any mana left over after playing Counterspell, use the Divining Top.

This deck is slow and the games are a little long. I’m more of an attack guy than “let me counter everything.” Using this deck is interesting but I would hate to play against a blue counterspell deck in real life, ouch!!!

p.s. You should note that the computer won’t play this deck well, it can’t use the cards Counterspell, Remove Soul, or Sensei's Divining Top.

40 Total Cards

8 Creatures
-------------
4x Keiga, the Tide Star
4x Wall of Air

14 Spells
----------
1x Ancestral Recall
4x Counterspell
4x Remove Soul
2x Repulse
3x Sensei's Divining Top

18 Land
--------
15x Island
3x Library of Alexandria
Attachments
blue-counterspell.deck
(570 Bytes) Downloaded 383 times
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Re: Blue Counterspell

Postby GandoTheBard » 11 Nov 2008, 18:26

I know this is very picky of me and I probably shouldn't even make this comment but keeping the decks within the rules seems a fairer challenge against the AI. That means 60 cards minimum, 1 of for restricted cards like Library, etc...Also with this kind of deck you do not want to counter everything...you really want to keep your counters for the critical cards and let the game play take care of other cards. 2x Keiga can clear the board nicely in your favor if you get that draw. And you can bounce what you dont kill. Sometimes against the ai a bounce is as effective as a terror. In terms of card choices Exclude is a better choice than Remove Soul but since you are lacking 20 cards you could add in the following:

Library of Alexandria -2 <---make the deck legit
Island +6 <--- land is so important though you will definitely get flooded
Sky Diamond +3 <--not quite as useful in general as ingots but they cost one less
Mox Sapphire +1 <---why not?
Exclude +4 <-- Counter + draw what's not to like?
Repulse +2 <-- bounce with draw :D
Boomerang +4 <---more bounce :D
0/5 flying wall guy +2 <---could be AIr Elementals or Thieving magpies
visit my personal homepage here: http://outofthebrokensky.com

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby DennisBergkamp » 11 Nov 2008, 20:34

I agree with the Exclude, a much better choice than Remove Soul.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby mtgrares » 12 Nov 2008, 18:05

I just tend to make 40 card decks because I'm so used to playing sealed or draft. I'm not a great deck designer so I tend to make 40 card decks which are alot easier than 60 card decks. :D
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Return to Forge Decks