It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:42

Text Size

Assassins Squall

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Assassins Squall

Postby Chris H. » 15 Nov 2008, 03:56

I use to visit a local gaming store many years ago. Parents would drop off their teenagers for a night of MTG. The kids had only a few cards and they had a hard time putting together decks that had any sort of a theme.

I made a few decks that I would let the kids use. One of their favorites was a Royal Assassin + Icy Manipulator deck.

Recently in a game against the computer, the computer put a Squall Drifter into play. This brought back a flood of memories. In honor of this I present you the following deck. It is not a strong deck but it might act as a fun diversion for a game or two.

60 Total Cards

15 Creatures
-------------
2x Adarkar Valkyrie
3x Intrepid Hero
1x Magus of the Disk
4x Royal Assassin
4x Squall Drifter
1x Visara the Dreadful

22 Spells
----------
3x Damnation
1x Demonic Tutor
4x Do or Die
3x Liliana Vess
1x Mox Jet
1x Mox Pearl
2x Sensei's Divining Top
4x Tendrils of Corruption
3x Wrath of God

23 Land
--------
1x Library of Alexandria
7x Plains
4x Scrubland
11x Swamp
Attachments
Assassins-Squall.deck
(772 Bytes) Downloaded 307 times
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Re: Assassins Squall

Postby DennisBergkamp » 15 Nov 2008, 06:17

Fun fun deck :)

I would put in Vindicate though instead of Do or Die.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 15 Nov 2008, 15:40

DennisBergkamp wrote:Fun fun deck :)

I would put in Vindicate though instead of Do or Die.
I meant to make that correction when I upped the Damnation and Wrath of God spells from 2 apiece to 3 apiece. Thanks for reminder.

The new and corrected version of Assassins Squall:

60 Total Cards

15 Creatures
-------------
2x Adarkar Valkyrie
3x Intrepid Hero
1x Magus of the Disk
4x Royal Assassin
4x Squall Drifter
1x Visara the Dreadful

22 Spells
----------
3x Damnation
1x Demonic Tutor
3x Liliana Vess
1x Mox Jet
1x Mox Pearl
2x Sensei's Divining Top
4x Vindicate
3x Wrath of God

23 Land
--------
1x Library of Alexandria
7x Plains
4x Scrubland
11x Swamp
Attachments
Assassins-Squall2.deck
(773 Bytes) Downloaded 303 times
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Chris H. » 15 Nov 2008, 20:58

It seems that I forgot something else. With a two color deck it makes sense to replace two plains and two swamps with 4 Godless Shrine.

The newest and latest version of Assassins Squall:

60 Total Cards

15 Creatures
-------------
2x Adarkar Valkyrie
3x Intrepid Hero
1x Magus of the Disk
4x Royal Assassin
4x Squall Drifter
1x Visara the Dreadful

22 Spells
----------
3x Damnation
1x Demonic Tutor
3x Liliana Vess
1x Mox Jet
1x Mox Pearl
2x Sensei's Divining Top
4x Vindicate
3x Wrath of God

23 Land
--------
4x Godless Shrine
1x Library of Alexandria
5x Plains
4x Scrubland
9x Swamp
Attachments
Assassins-Squall3.deck
(785 Bytes) Downloaded 298 times
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby GandoTheBard » 15 Nov 2008, 22:04

Ya know I know I mentioned this before but in MTG Forge particularly Swords to Plowshares is amazingly better than Vindicate for the stated reason that a) creatures are 99% of the threats you face. b) it is a permanent answer to that threat. Though if you were to include a few Beacon of Unrests, or Animate Deads perhaps the destroy target creature would be a little better. Though again the amount of removal you are running already makes the vindicates seem like extras. Also why just one Magus of the Disk? In general the numbers seem weird...kinda like what you might build if you had limited access to cards (2x Valkyrie? 1 Visara?)

As I said in an old article for Neutralground.net back in the day, Mike Flores advocates 3 ofs since they are generally better for your draw curve than 1-2 of a kind and yet let you be a little more diverse than 4 ofs would.

But then again this IS MTG Forge not a pvp type magic game where tech strategy and deck building are paramount to winning. So nevermind these comments and enjoy it.
visit my personal homepage here: http://outofthebrokensky.com

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby Chris H. » 16 Nov 2008, 23:54

GandoTheBard wrote:Ya know I know I mentioned this before but in MTG Forge particularly Swords to Plowshares is amazingly better than Vindicate for the stated reason that a) creatures are 99% of the threats you face. b) it is a permanent answer to that threat. Though if you were to include a few Beacon of Unrests, or Animate Deads perhaps the destroy target creature would be a little better. Though again the amount of removal you are running already makes the vindicates seem like extras. Also why just one Magus of the Disk? In general the numbers seem weird...kinda like what you might build if you had limited access to cards (2x Valkyrie? 1 Visara?)

As I said in an old article for Neutralground.net back in the day, Mike Flores advocates 3 ofs since they are generally better for your draw curve than 1-2 of a kind and yet let you be a little more diverse than 4 ofs would.

But then again this IS MTG Forge not a pvp type magic game where tech strategy and deck building are paramount to winning. So nevermind these comments and enjoy it.
I had planned to add in Swords to Plowshares and a few Beacon of Unrests or Animate Deads. I then decided to let Liliana Vess raise an entire army of the dead for me. Anyone wishing to modify this deck is welcome to do so.

Adarkar Valkyrie is not a Legend, Visara the Dreadful on the other hand... I found that I had to make a design decision.

At this point I am enjoying playing against a computer opponent.

I spent some time recently investigating the Firemox Application. You play against a (intelligent?) human opponent. There does not appear to be a simple and centralized way to find and connect with an opponent at this time. We will have to wait and see how this turns out.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Return to Forge Decks