It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:46

Text Size

Quest Deck Archtypes

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Quest Deck Archtypes

Postby GandoTheBard » 28 Feb 2009, 01:15

Magic has been around so long that there are literally hundreds of deck archtypes based on a variety of formats. It occurs to me that it would be smart (and maybe fun) to try and tap into some of this goodness to round out the Quest decks idea so that every color combo and archtype we can think of is represented as best as possible with Forge.

Blue Decks
UR Counter Burn (not a short term deck as the AI cant handle counters but its something to think about)
UW Mill (if we could get a few of the mill staple cards in Forge this would be doable.)
UW Control (very doable as is even without one counter.)
UB DiscardControl or Nether Go or DrawGo (need a few good cards to go with this (Nether Spirit etc))
Mono U Drawgo (very possible though no counters cripples the impact)
Mono U Bounce (see my bouncy deck coming up...a kind of drawgo/bounce mixture. though I dont think the AI can handle Standstill...it certainly doesn't know how to play against it.)
Mono U Walls (beleive it or not I went 5 rounds undefeated in one tournament with this before losing to two pros in a row.) Kinda tricky to make here though since it relies on Counter spells and we know the AI cant handle that. I only mention it as a long term possible.
UG aggro control (lay islands, lay forests apply beats and stop answers from slowing you down. very doable but again without counters this is problematic.)
UG Sapproling/Squirrel Prison (with the right additional cards, Vesuvan Shapeshifter, Opposition, Derranged Hermit, etc it is possible though without the upkeep stop its harder to make this work though you can just build a swarm version and go with UG aggro control that way.)

Red Decks
R Goblins (burn + goblins = deck opponent? well maybe...at least weak players anyway)
RB Goblins (see my gobbog deck)
RG Aggro Burn play small aggresive creatures and kill anything that might block.
RGW or RGB Dragons play fatties, beat down. very simple plan.
RW Board Control (Haups, Wrath, Geddon, Tax etc) (AI would need tweaking for the tax etc.) Avalanche RIders would make this awesome as would Wildfire Embermage + maybe some more Boros critters/cards.

White Decks
WG swarm. Simply play all the right token generators and let the engines roar.
WW -- small creatures + exalted or just plain crusades/anthems.
WG WW -- see WW + green versions.
WB Board Control. Black and White do one thing really well...they stop permanents cold. With the right recurrsion cards added this could be quite brutal.
WBR -- as above but add in some Direct damage for completeness.
Whitebased Rebels would be cool too since we have the basic search by type mechanisms available (I could even build my really funky and bad Rebel Conspiracy deck (Rebels + Conspiracy is fun times on a stick but it is too slow to get to work usually.)

Green Decks
Monogreen Elves -- Elf decks can be pretty nasty given a God draw.
Bant.dec -- if Green by itself can deliver good creatures add some blue for bounce/control, and white for removal, mass board control and you get a hard to beat deck...assuming the AI can handle the card combos.
GB Rock Or Recsur-- Oft overlooked this color combo is one of my favorites. We are lacking some fundamental cards and mechanics to let it shine (Dredge cards, Good graveyard recursion like Vigor Mortis and Dread Return, Oath of Ghouls, Survival of the Fittest and so on.)

Black Decks
Monoblack Discard -- already very doable.
Monob Necrovarients -- needs some vital cards like Consume Spirit or Drain Life but it is doable now. Yawgmoth's Will would be awesome)
BlackGreen or BlackWhite recursion (sort of like above but using cards like Coffin Queen, Debtor's Knell, and similar cards) Possible now thoug with bad cards.
BU Discard n Draw

Multicolor
with the myriad of multicolor mana producers and the potential for the AI to play dual lands eventually this archtype is wide open.
Norwegian Green is one deck that was really popular that might be playable here.

anyway my brain just went dead so I leave you with these ideas and hopefully some inspiration to make some new cards.

Cards I want to see in Forge:
Shard Pheonix
Oath of Ghouls
Oath of Druids
Survival of the Fittest
Consume Strength
Consume Spirit
Drain Life
Vexing Arcanix (fun card I know)
Crystal Shard
Desolation Giant
Dust Elemental
Cho-Manno, Revolutionary
Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero
Various other Rebels
Conspiracy
Drop of Honey
Dredge cards (all of them)
Dread Return
Vigor Mortis
Debtors' Knell
Avalanche Riders
Vesuvan Shapeshifter
Deranged Hermit
Opposition
Thelonite Hermit
Nether Spirit

well thats off the top of my head. Again a thanks to all the amazing cards you guys have made so far. Keep it up :D
visit my personal homepage here: http://outofthebrokensky.com

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Re: Quest Deck Archtypes

Postby DennisBergkamp » 28 Feb 2009, 05:11

Gando,

Wow, this is quite the post, I'd say you got most of them :)
Another type that was quite popular at one time I seem to remember is UG Madness. Basking Rootwalla, Circular Logic, Arrogant Wurm, Merfolk Looter.
Tricky cards to implement though.

I could make about half of these cards you listed, the ones that are problematic are:

Drain Life, Consume Spirit (X in manacost)
Crystal Shard (just hard)
Desolation Giant (Kicker is tricky on creatures - not sure how to do it)
Dread Return (Flashback)
Vigor Mortis (counters, if G was spent...)
Debtors' Knell (if only it weren't for the dual mana cost)
Avalanche Riders, Deranged Hermit (Echo)
Thelonite Hermit, Vesuvan Shapeshifter (Morph)

I think I started coding Survival of the Fittest once (long time ago), but I was getting some weird errors. I'll give it another shot, it shouldn't be too difficult a card to code.
Got some ideas on how to do Echo, I'll need to experiment with it.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Re: Quest Deck Archtypes

Postby GandoTheBard » 28 Feb 2009, 05:33

I remember testing a few UG madness decks back in the day but I don't recall my feelings about them. I have alot of old articles concerning the UG color combo in particular that used to be hosted on neutralground.net, but now are archived on my site. I might look through those and see if the Madness deck types are there. Should be some funky deck lists at the very least.
visit my personal homepage here: http://outofthebrokensky.com

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Return to Forge Decks