It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 18:41

Text Size

World Deck Development thread

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: World Deck Development thread

Postby Vcool122 » 16 Sep 2017, 15:20

I started playing on Forge 3 days ago and really like this Idea of quest worlds. I'm gonna work on an Innistrad world having for Sets: ISD, DKA, AVR, SOI, EMN. I think I should add core set. Should I only add M13, add M13 and M14 or more?
Vcool122

Postby Agetian » 16 Sep 2017, 15:23

Vcool122 wrote:I started playing on Forge 3 days ago and really like this Idea of quest worlds. I'm gonna work on an Innistrad world having for Sets: ISD, DKA, AVR, SOI, EMN. I think I should add core set. Should I only add M13, add M13 and M14 or more?
Hmm, I'd say that one will be enough (the closest one to the time frame of the original Innistrad sets, perhaps?), but it's up to you :)

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby Fizanko » 16 Sep 2017, 17:30

Innistrad was released a couple of months after Magic 2012 (M12) and the whole set was within the M12 use time too.

M13 was released a few months before Return to Ravnica

For the Shadows of Innistrad+Eldritch Moon, the core sets had been discontinued since a year, so i guess Magic Origins (MO) being the last core set is still a valid choice to go with it.

So basically M12 and Origins should go along well enough for an Innistrad world if you want to get core set going with the time frame.
But in practice, maybe use the ones that has the cards you need.
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Duel Decks for Forge - Forge custom decks (updated 25/10/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby Vcool122 » 16 Sep 2017, 19:19

Yes I want core set. Both Innistrad's blocks and Return to Ravnica's block are those I mostly played irl and it felt tough both times with Innistrad to make a good deck without core set. I did consider M13 instead of M12 because that's the core set with wich I played the first Innistrad.
Vcool122

Postby Vcool122 » 16 Sep 2017, 19:22

I don't really want to use Origin because it feel too much appart from Innistrad to me. So I'm just gonna go with M12 and M13.
Vcool122

Postby dingbat1 » 30 Sep 2017, 19:08

Personally, I prefer blocks/worlds without core sets. core sets might fit well mechanically, but not thematically. Take Innistrad for example. Every card in the set plays well into the gothic horror theme. Now go to M12 or M13 and try to find half a dozen cards that fit in a gothic horror setting.

I'm working on a Lorwyn world, will hopefully make sufficient progress this week to have something to show for it
dingbat1

Postby Erazmus » 14 Oct 2017, 13:36

dingbat1 wrote:Personally, I prefer blocks/worlds without core sets. core sets might fit well mechanically, but not thematically. Take Innistrad for example. Every card in the set plays well into the gothic horror theme. Now go to M12 or M13 and try to find half a dozen cards that fit in a gothic horror setting.

I'm working on a Lorwyn world, will hopefully make sufficient progress this week to have something to show for it
There is already a Lorwyn world I made a long time ago, https://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=12502. I'm not sure why it was never made official. It has quite a few downloads, so I know its been tested. I've been gone from here for years. I could remove the core set from it if that's the problem. Ages ago I was working on a Shards of Alara World. I am actually going to dig up the files and see about finishing it.
Erazmus

Postby Agetian » 14 Oct 2017, 15:37

Ah, I guess Lorwyn got lost in the course of time before anyone integrated it... But I have now integrated it upstream. ;) Will be happy to see more quest worlds from you!

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby Erazmus » 14 Oct 2017, 16:31

Agetian wrote:Ah, I guess Lorwyn got lost in the course of time before anyone integrated it... But I have now integrated it upstream. ;) Will be happy to see more quest worlds from you!

- Agetian
Much appreciated. I am currently working on the Alara world. Unfortunately when I stopped working on it originally, I was only 25% done. So I have a lot of work to do.
Erazmus

Postby marceloabner » 12 Nov 2017, 02:17

Hello, I am thinking of creating a world from the Tarkir block, since no one has yet chosen it, and I wanted some tips of what to put, like what would be the acceptable minimum amount of duels and challenges for each difficulty? Is it worth putting the precon decks that Wizards launched? What types of decks could I use to better test if the AI is working properly?

I thought about choosing the precon decks, some casual but more focused decks, and professional decks of the standard of the time that builds on the mechanics from the block (even if there are cards that aren't from Tarkir).
marceloabner

Postby Vcool122 » 14 Dec 2017, 01:03

Well you could start by doing 3 deck by clan. 1 for the khans, 1 for the dragons and 1 master deck wich got both khans and dragons.
Vcool122

Postby monobluegruul » 30 Mar 2019, 03:42

Hiyo, newbie here. I've been playing around with making a world using CHK block, ZEN block, CSP and ORI. I haven't really made that many challenges yet (Just one I haven't tested and another the AI plays so gloriously poorly, I kept in for laughs. Though it means I'd never expect an odd combo deck like Selective Memory + Treasure Hunt + Lightning Storm to be worth making.). I think I've made a decent amount of duels though, but I don't think they're quite properly assigned to the right difficulty (I had made four decks of each color, and assigned one for each difficulty. However, I think the black decks are just generally better than most of the others). If anyone wants to take a look at 'em and have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.
Attachments
KamiZen 0.1.zip
(524.71 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
monobluegruul

Postby vrtgo-49 » 05 Dec 2019, 02:11

Seeing as I couldn't find any kind of Alara world for quest mode, I tried my hand at making one. I was able to come up with 16 duels and 7 or so challenges, not too bad I think. I believe the difficulties are set up well enough for the most part, though I had to change the hard Jund deck to very hard given it's persistent removal and Bbloodbraid Elf. Challenges may be a bit on the easy side. A lot of the decks seem slow in general given I made an effort to use only Alara block cards, including lands, but it should be fine if you visit early in a quest or start there. Coming there with a great land base might make most things a cake walk, though.
Anyway, I would appreciate any feedback if anyone's willing to have a go at it. It took me a lot longer than I had expected considering I never played during Alara's heyday and had to get acquainted with the cards, so I think I might be missing some really good or notable deck ideas I should've used.
As always, add this to your worlds.txt file to make Alara an option to travel to:
Code: Select all
Name:Alara|Dir:Alara|Sets:ALA, CFX, ARB
Attachments
AlaraWorld.zip
(452.78 KiB) Downloaded 511 times
vrtgo-49

Postby daitokujibiko » 07 Sep 2020, 02:18

I see an Ixalan world in the list in game but it doesn't seem to have anything in it; it just gives me random decks from Main World whenever I go there, and there doesn't seem to be a folder in quest > world for Ixalan. There's no Ixalan world, right?
daitokujibiko

Postby icecream » 13 Jan 2021, 23:28

hey all. I too am curious about world gaps and what could be missing. I recently tweaked my worlds.txt file to allow for some farming of M10,M11,M12 | M13,M14,M15,ORI | M19,M20,M21 separately -- "Random Core Sets" encompasses far too much, imo :D

Anyway, mine currently looks like this, very close to the 1.6.36 stable.
Name:Main world
Name:Random Standard
Name:Random Pioneer
Name:Random Modern
Name:Random Commander
Name:Amonkhet|Dir:Amonkhet|Sets:AKH, HOU
Name:Jamuraa|Dir:jamuraa|Sets:5ED, ARN, MIR, VIS, WTH|Banned:Chaos Orb; Falling Star
Name:Kamigawa|Dir:2004 Kamigawa|Sets:CHK, BOK, SOK
Name:Lorwyn|Dir:lorwyn|Sets:SHM, EVE, LRW, MOR, 10E|Banned:Chaos Orb; Falling Star
Name:Mirrodin|Dir:mirrodin|Sets:MRD, DST, 5DN, SOM, MBS, NPH|Banned:Chaos Orb; Falling Star
Name:Ravnica|Dir:ravnica|Sets:RAV, GPT, DIS, RTR, GTC, DGM, GRN, GK1, RNA, GK2, WAR|Banned:Chaos Orb; Falling Star
Name:Shandalar|Dir:shandalar|Sets:2ED, ARN, ATQ, 3ED, LEG, DRK, 4ED|Banned:Chaos Orb; Falling Star
Name:Zendikar|Dir:zendikar|Sets:ZEN, WWK, ROE, BFZ|Banned:Chaos Orb; Falling Star
Name:The Domains: The Golden Age of Magic|Dir:1993-10 Limited Edition Beta|Sets:LEB|Banned:Chaos Orb
Name:Rabiah|Dir:1993-12 Arabian Nights|Sets:ARN|Banned:City in a Bottle
Name:Terisiare: The Brothers' War|Dir:1994-03 Antiquities|Sets:ATQ|Banned:Golgothian Sylex
Name:Dominaria|Dir:1994-06 Legends|Sets:LEG, DOM|Banned:Arena of the Ancients; Falling Star; Karakas
Name:Terisiare: The Dark|Dir:1994-08 The Dark|Sets:DRK|Banned:Maze of Ith
Name:Sarpadia|Dir:1994-11 Fallen Empires|Sets:FEM
Name:Homelands|Dir:1995-10 Homelands|Sets:HML|Banned:Apocalypse Chime
Name:Terisiare: Ice Age|Dir:1996-05 Ice Age|Sets:ICE, ALL
Name:Jamuraa: The Mirage Wars|Dir:1997-01 Mirage|Sets:MIR, VIS
Name:Portal|Dir:1997-05 Portal|Sets:POR
Name:Caliman|Dir:1998-06 Portal Second Age|Sets:PO2
Name:The Three Kingdoms|Dir:1999-05 Portal Three Kingdoms|Sets:PTK
Name:Theros|Dir:2014-05 Theros|Sets:THS, BNG, JOU, THB
Name:Urza's Block|Dir:Urza|Sets:USG, ULG, UDS|Banned:Gaea's Cradle;Memory Jar;Serra's Sanctum;Time Spiral;Tolarian Academy;Voltaic Key;Windfall
Name:The Gates of Magic|Dir:Starter|Sets:POR, PO2, S99, S00, PTK
Name:Invasion|Dir:Invasion|Sets:INV, PLS, APC
Name:Tempest|Dir:Tempest|Sets:TMP, STH, EXO
Name:Random Core Set|Sets:LEA, LEB, 2ED, 3ED, 4ED, 5ED, 6ED, 7ED, 8ED, 9ED, 10E, M10, M11, M12, M13, M14, M15, ORI, M19, M20, M21
Name:Core M10,M11,M12|Sets:M10, M11, M12
Name:Core M13,M14,M15,ORI|Sets:M13, M14, M15, ORI
Name:Core M19,M20,M21|Sets:M19, M20, M21
Name:Ixalan|Sets:XLN, RIX
Name:Innistrad|Sets:ISD, DKA, AVR, SOI, EMN
Name:Kaladesh|Sets:AER, KLD, MPS
Name:Non-Block Sets|Sets:IKO, THB, ELD, WAR, RNA, GRN, DOM, HML, FEM, DRK, LEG, ATQ, ARN, JMP, CNS, CN2, BBD, MB1, MMA, MM2, EMA, MM3, IMA, A25, UMA
Name:Tarkir|Sets:KTK, FRF, DTK
Name:Alara|Sets:ALA, CFX, ARB
Now I'm looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_M ... nsion_sets as my source. Would it be okay if I renamed everything to have a month and year prefix (probably the pre-release date) and sorted them as such? It's really hard to tell, for example, that Time Spiral is completely missing, unless you found yourself searching "TSP" or "TSB" in the worlds file and realized it wasnt there.

Not sure how you guys usually quest, but I do it like so: I try to farm particular card or card(s) , look up in gatherer where they could be, then try to travel to those worlds and grind out duels/challenges with refreshed spell shops , hoping those boosters will get me the cards. At the moment I'm trying to find Grapeshot for some storm deck ideas. Did a quick search and I believe the Time Spiral block hasn't been made yet.

Thus, after looking at the worlds.txt file again, I'm tempted to make a giant renaming overhaul ;D

idk if this is considered repository-checkout territory -- do I want to walk down the rabbit hole of git just to propose a bunch of text document (txt and dck) changes?

Edit: I also realized Forge's follow a mixture of fantasy setting(?) and set names. The places you can travel, as a result, dont quite the wiki article too well. For example, from worlds.txt, we have this Dominaria line:
Name:Dominaria|Dir:1994-06 Legends|Sets:LEG, DOM|Banned:Arena of the Ancients; Falling Star; Karakas
As as quester you would see "Dominaria"; however, this isn't Dominaria(DOM) from Post-block sets released in April 2018. This is instead, unintuitively, a bunch of decks/challenges based on June 1994's "Legends(LEG)" stuff, but just for fun "DOM" was added into sets, and so the final spellshop would probably have both LEG and DOM stuff in it :?
icecream

PreviousNext

Return to Forge Decks