It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 23:53

Text Size

Connect to server error

Moderators: Jorbes, CCGHQ Admins

Connect to server error

Postby kingbob » 20 Nov 2009, 04:27

Whenever I try to create an account by connecting to a server, I get a window that pops up and says:
"Socket Error # 10060
Connection timed out."

Any suggestions?
kingbob

Re: Connect to server error

Postby Jorbes » 20 Nov 2009, 11:02

It means the server is down.

When a time out occurs, the PC with the IP you are trying to connect to is probably turned off or just not connected to the internet. When the PC is turned on, but not running the server, you will get a connection refused error in most cases.

I do not manage the servers, not until I start running my own anyway, which will be sometime next year, when I get some new hardware.

Sorry 'bout that though.
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby kingbob » 20 Nov 2009, 20:00

I love this program and I am going to get all my friends on it but I am still unsure on how to log in to a server or connect with an opponent. Whenever I try opt.magic-league.com, I get the error above. Can I just type in my opponent's IP address? I want to play but I find this process very hindering.

Edit: I have two computers with access to the internet. What is the easiest way to connect them?
kingbob

Postby Jorbes » 20 Nov 2009, 21:22

magic-league's server must be down, nothing i can do about that.

anyway, in some time, the server will be available to the public, around the weekend of the 27th im hoping, there is still some work to be done.
When it is, you can download it and just run it for local gaming. Online PlayTable will always need a server to connect to though, because the server is going to turn into the game-engine, that controls the cards, turn structure and some other stuff like security codes.

it's okay to tell people about the program, keep in mind though that it is not finished yet and still in beta untill x-mass this year.

thanks.
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby kingbob » 20 Nov 2009, 22:03

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'll wait for the public server. I guess I'm just so excited to see a program so well put together and I am eager to try it out. :) Too many years of disappointment on MWS. :(
Good job on such a great project!
kingbob

Postby nico » 22 Nov 2009, 00:53

Heya,

I am running the opt server, and indeed, since something like 2 days there were no incoming connections. It appears that my provider has ben doing some maintenance on their hardware and while doing that, they also automatically updated the software in the livebox (router/adslmodem). I have changed some settings that might be interfering with the connections. I would like to say, please try the connection.

Edit

Problem is solved. for some reason, my provider decided to change the i.p. adress of my connection. I set the subdomains to the new adress, so everything should be working. If it doesnot work at first, be patient. the host mentons a timespan of 24 to 48 hours to have every change be effective.
nico

Postby Bog Wraith » 08 Oct 2010, 17:35

I'm having the same "Socket Error # 10060
Connection timed out." error, so I'm assuming that the server is down. Has this been established as what is going on or is it like the problem Nico mentions about his ISP?

Also, it seems like OPT will not work on a LAN as MWS does, is this correct? If so, this is a major drawback for me, as we can see if the server is down as it is now.
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby Jorbes » 08 Oct 2010, 19:41

Bog Wraith wrote:I'm having the same "Socket Error # 10060
Connection timed out." error, so I'm assuming that the server is down. Has this been established as what is going on or is it like the problem Nico mentions about his ISP?

Also, it seems like OPT will not work on a LAN as MWS does, is this correct? If so, this is a major drawback for me, as we can see if the server is down as it is now.
I have no idea what nico does with his server.
Everyone can download it and run one. I will try to get a server going myself soon, had to build a small pc first, which I did.

I test OPT on the local network, both in my University domain, the 192.168 domain and a localhost test, without problems, so it could be a firewall on the hoster's end.
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby Huggybaby » 08 Oct 2010, 19:46

1) Can I connect directly to someone? I think in MWS if I have my friend's IP address I can connect directly without going through a third party server.

2) If a friend and I are on the same LAN, what would we do to connect to each other? Would one of us need to install the server?
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Bog Wraith » 08 Oct 2010, 20:06

I haven't tried to connect via LAN yet because it didn't seem possible. The wiki seems to have stated that the server was necessary to run this with all the inter communications that OPT has with the server.

So I'm guessing that the host, even on the LAN, acts as the server.

Forgive me if I'm going about this the wrong way because I'm used to connecting to MWS and don't have that much experience in doing these kinds of things in other ways.

I know you are familiar with MWS and how it works. Does OPT connect the same way, meaning a host waits for the other part to join at whatever ip they are using & then use a port # like the 4747 that MWS uses. If so, can I use the 3000 port for this and would I connect to my LAN as I do with MWS?

Can you list the steps and what you do when you connect to a LAN?

Anyway, I'm going to set up OPT on another of my computers and see if I can hook up both my computers running OPT through my LAN over this weekend. Problem is that the second machine will be a Mac running Windows XP in Parallels & I'm not sure if it will work. I only have 1 Win Box & it's running Windows 7, so I'll have to try it this way. I'll post my results here.

Thanks

------------------------------
Edit

I tried setting up my Windows 7 box as the server, but I'm not sure how to join it afterward. I set up the server by giving it a name, port #, password, and the ip address of the machine as I get from MWS when I host on that computer. I can hook up my 2 computers using that method for MWS. When I try to connect after setting the server on OPT, I get a 10061 connection refused error. I also couldn't find the name I gave that server on my other machine looking to join. Obviously, my server isn't active. As I said, I have very limited knowledge in the field of servers so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

How do I set up one machine as the server and be able to still play from that computer as the host?
I know that once the server is active, I should be able to find it's name & join it with the other computer to play the game.

I'm pretty sure that this should work, I'm just not doing it right & I'm damned if I know what to do.

Any help in getting this done would be very much appreciated!
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby Jorbes » 08 Oct 2010, 20:54

Huggybaby wrote:1) Can I connect directly to someone? I think in MWS if I have my friend's IP address I can connect directly without going through a third party server.

2) If a friend and I are on the same LAN, what would we do to connect to each other? Would one of us need to install the server?
1.) No, simply because the server does so much work, it needs to be "in between" all the users. Don't forget that MWS only does 1vs1, it becomes a whole new ballgame when you want to have more than 2 people talking to each other.

2.) One of you would run a server and you both connect to it.
Or you could both connect to an outside server, but a private server on a fast LAN is always the best option.
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby Jorbes » 08 Oct 2010, 20:59

Bog, Im not going to quote here, because that would make the post waaay too long ;)

Are you able to run a server on a windows machine and then run OPT on that same machine and connect to 127.0.0.1 on port 3000?

Make sure windows firewall isn't blocking it, add the server program to the exceptions list and you may also want to open port 3000 on there. Maybe also check any router settings that may block the port.

Yes, port 4747 for MWS is port 3000 for OPT, just run a server, connect to it locally and you're good to go.

If live help is required, I can be on irc at some point this weekend, just ask here.
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby Bog Wraith » 08 Oct 2010, 21:59

First of all Thanks Jorbes for being so patient with me.
Believe me, I will test them fully by the time I get this working! :wink:

When you say can I run a server, how would I do that? Do I need to install some software to allow my Windows machine to act as a server?

If so, what do I need & where can I get it.
After I do that I "think" I should be able to connect OPT running on that same computer to my server.
I think if I can get to that point, setting it up might be relatively easy.

So I'll stop here until I get the answer to my above question and see if I can get the server installed & running once I get your answer(s) in what I need to get the server established.

Sorry I need for you to hold my hand & walk me through this, it is very much appreciated. :)
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby Huggybaby » 08 Oct 2010, 22:20

The server is a separate exe. Download it from http://www.onlineplaytable.com/ halfway down the page under the heading Online PlayTable Server.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Bog Wraith » 08 Oct 2010, 22:33

Ok, thank you very much Huggy. I'll get that & work on it later tonight.

------------------------------------
Edit

Ok, do I let Windows firewall allow for Public networks too! I know private ones are ok, but I just want to check. My guess would be yes I should.

I think I get this, tell me if I'm wrong.

If I allow for public, then when I start OPT I am using this server as if it was on another computer. So I then would host by joining that server and my wife on the other computer would hook up to that server & then join my game that is the host.

I might have it right, I'm just not sure the exact steps to get on the server, connect to it, host the game and then know what info my wife needs to join that game. As I said, I think I might know but I'm sure I will need some help getting the right settings and input sequence.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Next

Return to Online PlayTable