It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:18

Text Size

Type 4 support

Moderators: Jorbes, CCGHQ Admins

Type 4 support

Postby dikcoop » 24 Jan 2010, 05:07

I have been looking for a program to play Type 4 on, or something where the players have a common library and graveyard. Would this be possible?
dikcoop

Re: Type 4 support

Postby Jorbes » 24 Jan 2010, 11:58

dikcoop wrote:I have been looking for a program to play Type 4 on, or something where the players have a common library and graveyard. Would this be possible?
Where can I find the official rules for this Type 4?
I always though the Type defines the sets legal for playing, not a whole new way of playing
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby kenaustin » 24 Jan 2010, 14:01

I'd never heard of Type 4, so I did a search. Interesting concept! It's called Limited Infinity in this 2004 Wizard article.

HTH
Legion Magic @ kenaustin's korner
kenaustin

Postby dikcoop » 24 Jan 2010, 22:02

http://www.TypeFun.org is the official site for my playgroup. Its basically Type 4 on crack, but thats tangential to my request. Basically I am looking for a way for all the players to share the same library and graveyard, as well as a way to easily upload custom cards to the program.

Thank you.
dikcoop

Postby Jorbes » 25 Jan 2010, 15:47

dikcoop wrote:http://www.TypeFun.org is the official site for my playgroup. Its basically Type 4 on crack, but thats tangential to my request. Basically I am looking for a way for all the players to share the same library and graveyard, as well as a way to easily upload custom cards to the program.
Thank you.
Uhm, no, it's currently not possible to have just 1 library.
The best you could do is have a player load the "big" library and instead of drawing cards, have them put cards in play face down or something. The other players libraries could be just one card. I dunno, it's kinda hard to code this in the program to be honest and I don't think a lot of people play this Type4.

Sorry, maybe OCTGN does support it though, check them out.
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby dikcoop » 25 Jan 2010, 20:26

Uhm, no, it's currently not possible to have just 1 library.
Ok no problems.
dikcoop

Postby -Azul- » 17 May 2010, 06:45

I just played my first match of modified type 4 today. It took awhile but was pretty amazing. It's really a great way to play with some of those great creatures that you can never seem to get enough mana to cast.

We'd keep thinking that we were doomed whenever something hit the table... then *boom* boardsweep, *boom* flurry of counterspells!

We managed to make it a little more political by having a respawn sort of clause. Taking out another player netted you 2 points and they lose one. You lose your board and draw 5 new cards and get 20 life. Set a point score for the ultimate win and you have players fighting to keep you alive or keep another player from winning it all.

It's a real shame that there is no way to play it on OPT because this is one of the best ways to do it. It costs a ton to build a really cool pile of 300+ awesome bombs and counters and takes a long time to shuffle, etc. Maybe the feature can go way on the backburner. OPT could maybe allow for a completely manual mode where it doesn't do any P/T calculations or anything complicated.
-Azul-

Postby Jorbes » 17 May 2010, 20:32

Hi azul,

Could you create a detailed requirements list of things OPT needs to be able to do so you can play this "type 4" ?
Anything you can think of, so I can get it right the first time.

By the way, what do you mean with the last sentence?
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby -Azul- » 18 May 2010, 20:31

I may need some help here from other forum-goers as I have not played this all that often. The biggest problem will be that it's such a casual sort of game-type that there are tons of 'house rules'.

Here's a big list of customized rule types that some gamers might use. I don't know if any of it has to be physically implemented into OPT other than maybe choosing initial hand size and life total at the start of the game.
http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/expandnews.php?Article=9120

I've heard you can play the game rochester draft style but we just played with one stack of cards that was the library for every player. If we went through the whole stack then we just shuffled everything back into the pile again. We all shared the same graveyard as well.

So basically
- Shared Library and Graveyard
- 20 to 30 life at the start
- 5 Card Hand
- No Max Hand-size?
- One Spell Per Turn
- Infinite Mana
-Azul-

Postby Jorbes » 19 May 2010, 08:47

From your list (I am not going to read the article) I see only the top 3 items that need to be coded into OPT. The others are rules for the game and OPT does not implement any game rules.

After the next version, I will give this some more thought, it seems possible, but will require a lot of work, therefor I am going to need some more people requesting this.
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby -Azul- » 20 May 2010, 03:43

Hopefully the shared library would also be easily usable if you decide to get Planechase running in OPT.
-Azul-

Postby MageKing17 » 21 May 2010, 05:14

I've never played Type 4 with a shared library and graveyard, that seems like it would just be annoying.
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby -Azul- » 25 May 2010, 03:36

It's another alternate game type. I don't see what would be all that annoying about it. We played with 5 players and had a blast. It didn't require any set-up or time spent drafting. Just grab the stack and play. And get your politicking on.
-Azul-

Return to Online PlayTable