It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 08:22

Text Size

[OPT Discussion] Work to be done for the 1.0 beta release.

Moderators: Jorbes, CCGHQ Admins

Re: [OPT Discussion] Work to be done for the 1.0 beta releas

Postby Jorbes » 26 Jan 2011, 11:09

Because if two players hit it, it would move 2 players along, unless you keep track of who hits what, when and what happens next, but that's just too much administration. What I plan on doing is have it not switch to the next turn untill all opponents (who are still active at the table) pressed the button. This also requires a small server change though, because the server keeps track of the turns. In this way it works the same as passing priority, that waits for all players to press, so I can copy some of the logic from there.

IMO it's not possible to really lose source code, developers, especially ones working on a project as large as mws always keep copies, both hardcopies and backup cd's somewhere. it may not always be the final code, but it's a good place to start in case of disaster.
I think he just doesn't want to give out the code. And I agree with that :)
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby BaconCatBug » 26 Jan 2011, 11:39

Not giving out code for a project you are working on = Meh, but I am a FOSS proponent.
Withholding Source code for a dead project = Terrible and bad. :'(

Anyway, just thought I would mention it, since I think it's the best way to deal with the situation. 8)
BaconCatBug
Apprentice

Postby Jorbes » 26 Jan 2011, 11:58

My view on open source is:

If you or you and a friend or a small group are working on a project, keep it closed, because the world will screw you over otherwise.
If the "whole world" is working on it, like open office, then go open source, because it's impossible for this same world to screw you over.

Call me paranoid, but if I were to release all the OPT codes to the public, we'd see a new program with a new name pop up in a few months :)
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby misterL » 26 Jan 2011, 18:28

There are new bugs I found in the newest release:
- I don't know if it's a bug but when you preview a zone as the list (just click a zone icon to see that list), card names are written in pink.
- Exiling cards using "To exile" -> "Face up" menu causes those cards to exile face down instead. Also the same bug is with exiling face down - cards are exiled face up instead.
misterL

Postby pinecones » 26 Jan 2011, 19:41

i personally think the priority system works fine. it's different from MWS and takes some getting use tot, but i think it is superior.
pinecones

Postby Jorbes » 26 Jan 2011, 20:53

misterL wrote:There are new bugs I found in the newest release:
- I don't know if it's a bug but when you preview a zone as the list (just click a zone icon to see that list), card names are written in pink.
- Exiling cards using "To exile" -> "Face up" menu causes those cards to exile face down instead. Also the same bug is with exiling face down - cards are exiled face up instead.
first one is known, will make a note for both in the first post though.
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby pinecones » 30 Jan 2011, 10:39

would it be possible to add some sort of menu to set * effects on certain cards to represent values in game? for instance being able to right click a card and set it's power to = hand size + 1 or something similar? or life tota, certain types of cards in play, certain types of cards in your gy or all gy, etc.

not an important feature. just thought i'd present the idea in case you haven't thought of it.
pinecones

Postby Jorbes » 30 Jan 2011, 17:17

too complex for this stage of development, but a nice idea
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby pinecones » 24 Feb 2011, 03:31

can't remember if any of this has been mentioned at this point...

i think it's a must that OPT will read mws decks without a hitch. right now i'm getting certain cards coming up as ? cards in OPT from mws deck files (namely basic lands from sets that are the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th card art). it's slightly annoying at best (because you get a generic looking card) and a hassle at worst (these cards goto the stack instead of play, etc).

sorting out where cards go when they are "dropped" into the play area is another bit of polish that is extremely frustrating when you have to deal with it enough... cards being dropped directly on top of each other when they come into play, or being dropped into play at the wrong rank, etc. it would also be a god-send to have a more robust system for determining what rank each type of card gets dropped into by default.

i can't really figure out how the card spaces are represented while they are in-play, but a more "snap-to-grid" feel would probably make the game play out a little smoother.

and also pinning down card image structure is something i would hope gets done before v1.

at this point i don't care how pretty it winds up being (though all the nit-picky GUI stuff would be nice)... i am more looking for it to play nice. those are the things that are keeping my play-group away from it. (though some of them would also be easier to convince if it were possible to 100% copy the MWS theme)
pinecones

Postby Clefaria » 27 Feb 2011, 22:24

pinecones wrote:can't remember if any of this has been mentioned at this point...

i think it's a must that OPT will read mws decks without a hitch. right now i'm getting certain cards coming up as ? cards in OPT from mws deck files (namely basic lands from sets that are the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th card art). it's slightly annoying at best (because you get a generic looking card) and a hassle at worst (these cards goto the stack instead of play, etc).

sorting out where cards go when they are "dropped" into the play area is another bit of polish that is extremely frustrating when you have to deal with it enough... cards being dropped directly on top of each other when they come into play, or being dropped into play at the wrong rank, etc. it would also be a god-send to have a more robust system for determining what rank each type of card gets dropped into by default.

i can't really figure out how the card spaces are represented while they are in-play, but a more "snap-to-grid" feel would probably make the game play out a little smoother.

and also pinning down card image structure is something i would hope gets done before v1.

at this point i don't care how pretty it winds up being (though all the nit-picky GUI stuff would be nice)... i am more looking for it to play nice. those are the things that are keeping my play-group away from it. (though some of them would also be easier to convince if it were possible to 100% copy the MWS theme)
I totally agree with every one of these points. A bit of polish can go a long way. :)

MWS bundle is DISCONTINUED, current only through M12
My (old) MWS bundle
Clefaria

Postby moislex » 28 Mar 2011, 04:41

Sorry to question, but this program without open source?
If not, there is the possibility of future he has open source?

It's always a shame to see good programs for not going forward because it is developed only by a person or small groups, which does not occur naturally with an open source ...
http://blog.mtgbr.com/mws
All Sources For MWS
moislex

Postby Jorbes » 28 Mar 2011, 11:25

moislex wrote:Sorry to question, but this program without open source?
If not, there is the possibility of future he has open source?

It's always a shame to see good programs for not going forward because it is developed only by a person or small groups, which does not occur naturally with an open source ...
Not yet.

I can give you a large list of projects (on sourceforge) that are no longer being worked on. People just loose interest after a while, no matter how large the group is. Or something better comes along, obv :)
Open source does not guarantee development.
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby tojammot » 31 Mar 2011, 20:00

Does closed source model guarantee development any better? Is that any thriving motivator factor for you, to keep the liege and things under control? To avoid forks? Or is this part of your security model?
tojammot

Postby Jorbes » 10 Apr 2011, 16:45

tojammot wrote:
Does closed source model guarantee development any better? Is that any thriving motivator factor for you, to keep the liege and things under control? To avoid forks? Or is this part of your security model?
It leans towards the first, I need to be in full control of what happens with the project. But sure, there may be things that can be exploited when people have a way to rebuild their own modified OPT client and/or server, sure.
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby Loacoon » 23 Apr 2011, 14:36

Reposting my bug report here, with screenshot to illustrate the thing.

After a certains number of games (a few dozens), I noticed some kind of bug in the shuffling/randomization of the decks. It happens unusually often to draw the same card twice in a raw. And the way lands are drawn is kinda wierd.
For example, in... let's say 6 or 7 turns, I often draw 2 or 3 times the same card (limited to 4), while I draw only 1 land (usually 20 in a deck...). So I looked at the library a few times to see if it really happens the way I see it, and yes it does. In the library, there is almost always 2 identical cards in a raw, and lands are often "packed" in about the same area. Which makes you draw only lands for like 10 turns, and then almost no lands for 10 other turns.

Don't get me wrong, I know randomisation can lead to this kind of results. But not that often. So I thought it would be fair to report it.

As you can see in the screenshot posted in attachment, in 4 turns, 2 of 4 Animate Land, 2 of 4 Taunting Elf, and 2 of 4 Griffin Canyon have been drawn.
Attachments
Magic1.png
Loacoon

PreviousNext

Return to Online PlayTable