It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 20:49

Text Size

Getting people using OPT, and MWS Security Codes

Moderators: Jorbes, CCGHQ Admins

Getting people using OPT, and MWS Security Codes

Postby brockfanning » 21 Jan 2011, 14:57

I'm trying to get folks on magic-league's draft4you to start using OPT to draft, instead of Netdraft. (as it is insanely better) The goal to get people using OPT to draft, but let them continue playing games in MWS. Then once they get a taste, they'll be more inclined to give up MWS entirely and start playing in OPT. I don't see that happening quickly though, so I think the first step is to build up some inertia with using OPT for drafting.

One concern though is the MWS security codes. Is there any way currently to have the draft portion display MWS security codes in addition to OPT security codes? If not, is that something that can be implemented, or does it require reverse-engineering MWS?
brockfanning

Re: Getting people using OPT, and MWS Security Codes

Postby Jorbes » 21 Jan 2011, 15:19

We had that, but then people wanted it removed because having 2 codes was too confusing.
:)
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby brockfanning » 22 Jan 2011, 03:56

Ah! I think it might be a good idea to add that back in, perhaps make it optional. If it gave MWS codes, I could probably start getting magic-league folks drafting with it right away. Anyway, just a thought!
brockfanning

Postby BaconCatBug » 22 Jan 2011, 04:06

If you are drafting with it, why not just use it to play as well?
BaconCatBug
Apprentice

Postby pinecones » 23 Jan 2011, 00:09

brockfanning wrote:Ah! I think it might be a good idea to add that back in, perhaps make it optional. If it gave MWS codes, I could probably start getting magic-league folks drafting with it right away. Anyway, just a thought!
like.
pinecones

Postby TwistedMindz » 23 Jan 2011, 10:25

Gwar wrote:If you are drafting with it, why not just use it to play as well?
Because i know people and people do not like change.
TwistedMindz

Postby Huggybaby » 23 Jan 2011, 10:41

Agreed, people don't like change. I personally see no good reason not to provide MWS codes, complaints due to complication notwithstanding. OPT is complicated enough that adding an option for a different type code is a drop in the bucket.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Jorbes » 23 Jan 2011, 19:17

If people don't like to play using OPT, they better stick with netdraft.

EDIT: To clarify, OPT's security codes are calculated differently than MWS, OPT ignores basic land for example and the code itself is in base64.
I could have the server spit out MWS security codes for the cardpool you get from the draft, but after adding basic land, MWS will have a different code, so checking against the one OPT gives you is pointless.

If you need to use MWS to play, then I recommend first getting all the codes together via your playgroup after people add their land and whatnot.
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby pinecones » 24 Jan 2011, 06:05

o snap!

pinecones

Postby MageKing17 » 24 Jan 2011, 14:08

Jorbes wrote:If people don't like to play using OPT, they better stick with netdraft.

EDIT: To clarify, OPT's security codes are calculated differently than MWS, OPT ignores basic land for example and the code itself is in base64.
I could have the server spit out MWS security codes for the cardpool you get from the draft, but after adding basic land, MWS will have a different code, so checking against the one OPT gives you is pointless.

If you need to use MWS to play, then I recommend first getting all the codes together via your playgroup after people add their land and whatnot.
So... what's to stop OPT from just calculating the MWS security code with basic land?

Keep in mind I haven't used OPT or MWS, but as a programmer, I would think it would be trivial to do something like that, but then again, I don't know how OPT handles things in the first place.
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby Jorbes » 24 Jan 2011, 14:15

MageKing17 wrote:
Jorbes wrote:If people don't like to play using OPT, they better stick with netdraft.

So... what's to stop OPT from just calculating the MWS security code with basic land?

Keep in mind I haven't used OPT or MWS, but as a programmer, I would think it would be trivial to do something like that, but then again, I don't know how OPT handles things in the first place.
I guess I could add a custom setting to the server where the server admin can specify how many of what card to add to each draft pool.
That way you could add 20 of each basic land to each draft witout affecting the OPT code and while having a proper MWS code (as long as users do not add any more land themselves)
I will not hard code any magic related stuff into the server anymore than I already have.
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby nico » 17 Mar 2011, 23:25

uhm, you might be able to program the server so that the server operator can make the server add any card to the draft pool?
This way it is up to the operator what cards are added, and the server is also not magic specific anymore.
On another note, how is te seccode calculated (needed for seccodes on the new m-l site )
nico

Postby Jorbes » 18 Mar 2011, 08:16

Sure nico, that can be done, most likely for mtg would be the basic land.

Regarding the calculation, "we" may need to discuss this further, because as of now, the basic land is hardcoded omitted from the calculation, this could be changed though.

I am targetting end of march to continue development, still waiting for some furniture for my new flat, no desk to code on now.
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby nico » 18 Mar 2011, 22:11

I know the lands are omitted, and I think it is not good to leave certain cards out when do the calculations, especially when you want opt to be able to run other card games :)

Greetz
nico

Return to Online PlayTable