It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:09

Text Size

Bug/issue discussion thread

A version of WOTC's game by telengard

Moderators: telengard, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Bug/issue discussion thread

Postby Phygerator » 03 Sep 2011, 02:32

I have played against the heartsblood temple and the pearlthorn castle for sure.

I think there is a bug with the Dragon Ambassador with its free advance ability. It went from the portal to the centre in one turn. I don't think that should be possible.

Expanding the tree sure slows things down a bit....
Phygerator

Postby telengard » 03 Sep 2011, 04:13

Phygerator wrote:I have played against the heartsblood temple and the pearlthorn castle for sure.

I think there is a bug with the Dragon Ambassador with its free advance ability. It went from the portal to the centre in one turn. I don't think that should be possible.
Hmm, I would have expected the AI to see the benefits of the Castle pretty easily, Heartsblood Temple is a tough one due to it not seeing the full benefit for a full turn at the least (which is way far down the game tree). I do believe I've seen the AI play it in the center cell though in the past.

As for the Dragon Ambassador, that sounds like a bug, I'll look into it. Thanks for the report.

Phygerator wrote:Expanding the tree sure slows things down a bit....
Yup, I'd only go up to maybe 9 or 10 on a fairly new computer. If you have more than 1 processor you can enable that too which speeds things up. It's the trade-off for better play. :)

~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1215
telengard
DEVELOPER

Postby Phygerator » 07 Sep 2011, 17:08

Yeah - played a few more games against pearlthorne castle and it still wasn't spawned even when there was extra spawn points to spend. Almost like it didn't recognise it as an option.
Phygerator

Postby telengard » 07 Sep 2011, 18:31

Phygerator wrote:Yeah - played a few more games against pearlthorne castle and it still wasn't spawned even when there was extra spawn points to spend. Almost like it didn't recognise it as an option.
Hmm, that's discouraging. Do you happen to have a log for one of those games? I might be able to see why the AI didn't choose to spawn it (esp if it had spare spawn to do it, that is especially surprising).

Also, I couldn't repro the Dragon Ambassador issue but reading the ability text it seems like it is possible for it to get to the center cell in one turn. If you shift for both phases it gets a free move each phase if it is unengaged. That could get it there in one turn. I hadn't really thought about that, but that is a pretty powerful ability!

~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
telengard
DEVELOPER

Postby Phygerator » 07 Sep 2011, 23:16

I keep trying to post it but it says that "The extension log is not allowed." Trust me though....it seems to ignore the PTC.

???

BTW - The ambassador - I misread the words. I thought it was the spawn phase, not the shift phase....
Phygerator

Postby telengard » 08 Sep 2011, 01:56

Phygerator wrote:I keep trying to post it but it says that "The extension log is not allowed." Trust me though....it seems to ignore the PTC.

???

BTW - The ambassador - I misread the words. I thought it was the spawn phase, not the shift phase....
Yeah, For some reason I thought it was spawn phase too. Seems REALLY powerful. :D

Oh, I have no doubt it happened, locations and the AI is an area of weakness. It just makes it easier for me to sorta "replay" the game. I'll whip up a warband with a PTC and try it out.

I'll also PM the mods about extensions... they used to work IIRC.

~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
telengard
DEVELOPER

Postby telengard » 08 Sep 2011, 03:22

The mods have enabled .log and .dxp for forum attachments.
Thanks mods! =D>

Let me know if you can't upload any "game.log" files.

~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
telengard
DEVELOPER

Postby Phygerator » 08 Sep 2011, 22:56

It works! Eureka!

Posted the valor vs passion band with PTC....
Attachments
game.log
(982.26 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
Phygerator

Postby telengard » 09 Sep 2011, 15:21

Phygerator wrote:It works! Eureka!

Posted the valor vs passion band with PTC....
Awesome, thanks. I'll see what I can find out.

~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
telengard
DEVELOPER

Postby Phygerator » 10 Sep 2011, 14:59

So, played three games against Baxar and a citadel of torture and the location came out three games out of three... So I am sure that the value is higher according to the AI, or at least more immediate. For whatever reason, that band is WAY stronger for me to beat as well. it seems to suit the style of the AI better than others.
Phygerator

Postby telengard » 10 Sep 2011, 18:41

Phygerator wrote:So, played three games against Baxar and a citadel of torture and the location came out three games out of three... So I am sure that the value is higher according to the AI, or at least more immediate. For whatever reason, that band is WAY stronger for me to beat as well. it seems to suit the style of the AI better than others.
Cool, I'm glad the AI was using it. Was it spawning it in an advantageous cells and using it on 3/2/B? The one I've seen the AI use to great effect is Bloodtusk Throne. In general the AI will have decent tactics, but if a warband needs an overall strategy that involves looking *very* far ahead, it will tend to not do as well. For instance, a warband that utilizes Appease or things that will benefit it the next turn are difficult for it w/ the minmax. With the Monte Carlo AI, it does pick up on those things (but it's a little too slow and sometimes makes some REAL bonehead moves). I also have a combination of the two but it needs a little tweaking.

Thanks for the log too, haven't narrowed down the PTC issue, but I did find a debug log that was probably slowing things down a bit for you. Had no idea I left it in there.

~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
telengard
DEVELOPER

Postby Memmy » 11 Sep 2011, 04:12

In the latest slightlymagic patch, the block including Damnation and Keldon Marauders is left out.

#-o
Memmy

Postby Phygerator » 12 Sep 2011, 02:53

Had an interesting couple of things happen in a game against an HK band today. Although I am not sure if any of it is a bug. First, the AI spawned an HK in his "C" row and immediately fired upon the centre position ... which would have been fine if it wasn't HIS OWN PIECE. There were no other viable targets and the text does not specify ally or enemy.... so technically, it was correct, but a disaster tactically.

Second, I also noticed that a favourite tactic of mine isn't working like I thought it should. Using a copsebuilt buzzclaw to be called using baxar and then sacrificed using the citadel of torture which is next to an altar of souls. wow..... that seems complicated. The idea is that he spurs into play (making an attack) and then you get a second shot (against the same target) as he is sacrificed. It seems to me that the damage from the first "spur" ability should stack with the damage from the altar - but the damage seems to get reset in between blows. I thought that it got reset at the end of the spawn phase.... am I misinterpreting the rules in this?

Finally, one other rules question that I have been assuming works one way, but the program/you have interpreted it differently is as follows. If you have a location in your spawn row....say, C1, and no other figures, I thought that you were allowed to spawn there since you have an active piece in the row. Again, am I misinterpreting the rules?
Attachments
game copy.log
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 374 times
Phygerator

Postby Phygerator » 12 Sep 2011, 02:55

telengard wrote:
Cool, I'm glad the AI was using it. Was it spawning it in an advantageous cells and using it on 3/2/B? The one I've seen the AI use to great effect is Bloodtusk Throne.
yes - it seemed to be in good, scoring positions. The rerolls did seem to work against me, so I think it was using them correctly.
Phygerator

Postby telengard » 12 Sep 2011, 03:14

Phygerator wrote:Had an interesting couple of things happen in a game against an HK band today. Although I am not sure if any of it is a bug. First, the AI spawned an HK in his "C" row and immediately fired upon the centre position ... which would have been fine if it wasn't HIS OWN PIECE. There were no other viable targets and the text does not specify ally or enemy.... so technically, it was correct, but a disaster tactically.

Second, I also noticed that a favourite tactic of mine isn't working like I thought it should. Using a copsebuilt buzzclaw to be called using baxar and then sacrificed using the citadel of torture which is next to an altar of souls. wow..... that seems complicated. The idea is that he spurs into play (making an attack) and then you get a second shot (against the same target) as he is sacrificed. It seems to me that the damage from the first "spur" ability should stack with the damage from the altar - but the damage seems to get reset in between blows. I thought that it got reset at the end of the spawn phase.... am I misinterpreting the rules in this?

Finally, one other rules question that I have been assuming works one way, but the program/you have interpreted it differently is as follows. If you have a location in your spawn row....say, C1, and no other figures, I thought that you were allowed to spawn there since you have an active piece in the row. Again, am I misinterpreting the rules?
Hehe, yeah the Hunter Killer should not be doing that, even though technically it can. I can't see any reason why it would have decided that is a good idea. I'll look into that.

Wow, that is a COOL combo... I like it!

As for the damage issue, the rules for damage outside of combat are kinda complicated (and boy were they a pain to implement). However, I do believe that unless destroyed or disrupted, the damage shouldn't clear until the end of the spawn phase. I will look into this too.

Your last question is also right, any miniature in the column counts. Did you not see that? This check is done in determining legality for spawning in the same column, but it might be broken somewhere else.

Code: Select all
   if ( p->controller == _player )     /* can be creature or location */
thanks for all the input,
~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
telengard
DEVELOPER

PreviousNext

Return to Dreamblade