It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 22:39

Text Size

Bug/issue discussion thread

A version of WOTC's game by telengard

Moderators: telengard, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Latest release info (currently 1.0.20) Released 9/30/09

Postby melkor75 » 09 Oct 2009, 08:26

Telengard,

excellent stuff (i've just tried it some months ago). Now looking at changelog a png map and a new folder "res" should be in the package ... but currently there are not. Am i missing something?

Keep it up!

mm75

PS: question, is it possible to have a sort of ech@ on the screen when the opponent moves, strikes and whatever? I realize it's quite difficult to see all the movements, etc... May be an output of the move for example and just an input from the human player to continue with next action?
melkor75

Re: Latest release info (currently 1.0.20) Released 9/30/09

Postby telengard » 09 Oct 2009, 18:33

melkor75 wrote:Telengard,

excellent stuff (i've just tried it some months ago). Now looking at changelog a png map and a new folder "res" should be in the package ... but currently there are not. Am i missing something?
Hehe, nope. The GUI port is ongoing. I should probably make a note of that in the CHANGELOG. I'm making good progress but it's not there yet. I struggle a lot with making graphics etc so it's a little slower than I would have hoped. Soon though! :)

melkor75 wrote:Keep it up!
Thanks! I'm glad you are playing it and I appreciate the feedback.

melkor75 wrote:
PS: question, is it possible to have a sort of ech@ on the screen when the opponent moves, strikes and whatever? I realize it's quite difficult to see all the movements, etc... May be an output of the move for example and just an input from the human player to continue with next action?
[/quote]

This is supported now, well the wait for human input. If you add the -v flag (either to the bat file if on Windows or on the command line if Linux), the game will wait for keyboard input before continuing after each event. Also, the left and right arrows scroll through event messages so you can see what happened. The GUI version will have arrows and all kinds of visual indicators of what is going on.

I will see what I can do for showing movement in the console version, it's a great idea.

thanks again,
~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1215
telengard
DEVELOPER

Re: Latest release info (currently 1.0.22) Released 10/21/09

Postby melkor75 » 23 Oct 2009, 13:22

I'm just wondering ... not all the pieces are available, is that correct? I noticed right now that anvilborn folder has just a piece.

I noticed that during the game currently u cannot CTR+C the game. U need to finish it,

mm75
melkor75

Postby telengard » 23 Oct 2009, 18:59

melkor75 wrote:I'm just wondering ... not all the pieces are available, is that correct? I noticed right now that anvilborn folder has just a piece.

I noticed that during the game currently u cannot CTR+C the game. U need to finish it,

mm75
Hi again,

Nope, all the Anvilborn is there. All 396 (plus a lot more) pieces are in there. I just haven't converted all of the pieces over to XML yet (that's the one Anvilborn piece you see in there). Any pieces not in those folders are "compiled" into the code. I've converted Core, Baxar's, some of Serrated Dawn, Witching Hour, and few spot others. There's no difference between the compiled in code and the XML definitions other than being easier to modify (since they are text files) and it saves me time compiling.

As far as Ctrl-C what platform are you on? Windows?

thanks,
~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
telengard
DEVELOPER

Postby melkor75 » 23 Oct 2009, 19:47

Yup, command prompt under Windows XP as far as DOS is concerned.

Regarding the pieces, i was just asking because i got an error if i use some of the "predefined" lists (it can't find for example Whirlwind dervish and Hunter Killer).

I add a couple more:

1) Sometime AI when choose to shift, it forgets to move some of the pieces on the board (i noticed it in A5 zone usually).
2) Any chance u may implement a "tournament version" (i mean following Dreamblade tournament rules) where u CAN'T roll two consecutive turns of "1" during initiative?

mm75
melkor75

Postby telengard » 23 Oct 2009, 21:13

melkor75 wrote:Yup, command prompt under Windows XP as far as DOS is concerned.
Ok, I'll check this out.

melkor75 wrote:Regarding the pieces, i was just asking because i got an error if i use some of the "predefined" lists (it can't find for example Whirlwind dervish and Hunter Killer).
Ah, OK. I'll check those 2. Any piece not loaded from the released sets is a bug on my part or a spelling error in the warband list. I'm willing to bet I spelled some names wrong in the sample warbands.

melkor75 wrote:I add a couple more:

1) Sometime AI when choose to shift, it forgets to move some of the pieces on the board (i noticed it in A5 zone usually).
2) Any chance u may implement a "tournament version" (i mean following Dreamblade tournament rules) where u CAN'T roll two consecutive turns of "1" during initiative?

mm75
#1) The version I put out not too long ago (1.0.21) should do a lot less of that. Did this happen with the latest version? If you could send me the warbands you used and saw that I can test it out.

#2) Absolutely! Great suggestion.

I appreciate the feedback, keep it coming.
I'm running out of bugs to fix, stuff that comes up now only comes from playing LOTS of games.

~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
telengard
DEVELOPER

Postby telengard » 23 Oct 2009, 21:51

Turns out to be spelling errors. I cut and pasted some of those warbands from the internet.

So the changes are:

in warbands/chaos_well_bred.txt

Ekyon Wayfarer -> Ekkyon Wayfarer

in warbands/dragons_of_passionate_valor.txt

Hunter Killer -> Hunter-Killer
Whirling Dervish -> Whirlwind Dervish

The names must match as they appear on the mini and on Dreamcatcher (http://dreamcatcher.wizards.com/dreamcatcher.aspx).

These changes will be in the next release as well as the your suggestion about tournament initiative (which will be an option in the rules.conf).

~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
telengard
DEVELOPER

Postby Incantus » 23 Oct 2009, 22:00

telengard wrote:I'm running out of bugs to fix, stuff that comes up now only comes from playing LOTS of games.
~telengard
Why don't you just have your AI's play each other in many repeated games with varying decks? That might be a way to do more rigorous testing.
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Postby telengard » 23 Oct 2009, 22:06

Incantus wrote:
telengard wrote:I'm running out of bugs to fix, stuff that comes up now only comes from playing LOTS of games.
~telengard
Why don't you just have your AI's play each other in many repeated games with varying decks? That might be a way to do more rigorous testing.
Hey Incantus,

That's exactly what I do. It's not bearing much fruit anymore though. :( I have a python script to generate random warbands and play games over and over and let it run for days and look for crashes, ASSERTs, etc.

Most of the bugs I find now are mechanics issues that are only found from playing.

~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
telengard
DEVELOPER

Postby melkor75 » 25 Oct 2009, 08:38

telengard wrote:I have a python script to generate random warbands
Please i'd be VERY interested in that script (i guess it generates a txt file to be used with game, correct?).

If u can, may u send me that script at the email address i'm sending in PM to u? :wink:

Thanks a lot and keep it up!

mm75

PS: the bug above about skipping the move, happened once in the last version too.
melkor75

Postby telengard » 25 Oct 2009, 19:17

melkor75 wrote:
telengard wrote:I have a python script to generate random warbands
Please i'd be VERY interested in that script (i guess it generates a txt file to be used with game, correct?).

If u can, may u send me that script at the email address i'm sending in PM to u? :wink:

Thanks a lot and keep it up!

mm75

PS: the bug above about skipping the move, happened once in the last version too.
PM sent, I'll start including the script w/ the program (just a few changes to make to make it work without needing the src code). Yep, it generates a text file with the pieces.

The tournament initiative rules are implemented and will also be in the next release. Which warbands were you using when you saw this behavior? The 'example' one?

~telengard

My only guess on the no shift is maybe the AI determined shifting it would result in a high probability of destruction?
Author of Dreamblade:
telengard
DEVELOPER

Re: Bug/issue discussion thread

Postby telengard » 26 Oct 2009, 04:07

The new release is out and it has support for tournament style initiative and also a fully working random warband generator (not just XML defs).

More info in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1771

~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
telengard
DEVELOPER

Postby melkor75 » 26 Oct 2009, 10:10

Unfortunately the python script doesn't work on XP :( (i have the Python client installed).

"No pieces found" ... should i run it from another path?

mm75
melkor75

Postby telengard » 26 Oct 2009, 17:15

melkor75 wrote:Unfortunately the python script doesn't work on XP :( (i have the Python client installed).

"No pieces found" ... should i run it from another path?

mm75
Sorry about that. :(

I figured it out though. Line 23 in the file should read:

if sys.platform == 'win32':

so just change 'win' to 'win32'

Let me know if that works for you.

~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
telengard
DEVELOPER

Postby melkor75 » 27 Oct 2009, 11:03

Fixed! Thanks a lot ... now ... another request if possible of course :oops:

Any chance to "set" some parameters within the random script? Eventually, just 1 or 2 colors-only (i mean valor-only or passion+fear for example) ... may be also "set" the possible expansions? (so base set+ Baxar only ... or all, or any other combination).

If it's not too much work :wink:

mm75
melkor75

Next

Return to Dreamblade