It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:33

Text Size

How to get started?

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: How to get started?

Postby RumbleBBU » 22 Aug 2013, 03:35

That's what I usually do - however, as I wrote, this time it did not help. Eclipse kept getting confused by the leftover files that still existed. (This is related to how I did the first checkout.)
RumbleBBU

Postby Idontknow84 » 17 Sep 2013, 13:48

Hi, I've tried to follow the instructions on the wiki, but I've encountered a problem with the m2e plug-in connectors.
I'm using Eclipse, Version: Kepler Release and Build id: 20130614-0229, running on Mac OS X 10.8.5.

As stated here: http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge:How_to_Get_Started_Developing_Forge#SVN_Connector, I followed all the instructions up to point 4; then, this message appeared:

Discovery completed without finding any extensions. Please check your network connection and try again
(of course my connection works flawlessly).

I then realized I can reproduce this message error by digging into Eclipse preferences, namely Maven -> Discovery and by clicking the "Open Catalog" button. By the way, the "Catalog URL" is set to
Code: Select all
[...]technology/m2e/discovery/directory-1.4.xml
(I've snipped the URL because of a spam warning).

Is there any way to solve this issue? Thanks.
Idontknow84

Postby Chris H. » 17 Sep 2013, 15:56

Idontknow84 wrote:Hi, I've tried to follow the instructions on the wiki, but I've encountered a problem with the m2e plug-in connectors.
I'm using Eclipse, Version: Kepler Release and Build id: 20130614-0229, running on Mac OS X 10.8.5.

As stated here: http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge:How_to_Get_Started_Developing_Forge#SVN_Connector, I followed all the instructions up to point 4; then, this message appeared:

Discovery completed without finding any extensions. Please check your network connection and try again
(of course my connection works flawlessly).

I then realized I can reproduce this message error by digging into Eclipse preferences, namely Maven -> Discovery and by clicking the "Open Catalog" button. By the way, the "Catalog URL" is set to
Code: Select all
[...]technology/m2e/discovery/directory-1.4.xml
(I've snipped the URL because of a spam warning).

Is there any way to solve this issue? Thanks.

It seems to be working OK on my Mac.

Eclipse preferences, namely Maven -> Discovery and by clicking the "Open Catalog" button displays:

http://download.eclipse.org/technology/m2e/discovery/directory.xml

and the Install m2e connectors list will populate on my computer:

Attachments
Screen Shot.jpg
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby moomarc » 17 Sep 2013, 18:38

When I moved to Kepler I just got the version with maven already integrated (I think the Java EE one). Worked perfectly straight away. :D
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Postby Idontknow84 » 18 Sep 2013, 09:20

Chris H. wrote:It seems to be working OK on my Mac.

Eclipse preferences, namely Maven -> Discovery and by clicking the "Open Catalog" button displays:

[...]

and the Install m2e connectors list will populate on my computer:

The problem is, I can't change the Catalog URL. It seems to be hardcoded. Is there any way to perform a manual installation of m2e-svn?

Thanks.
Idontknow84

Postby Chris H. » 18 Sep 2013, 13:50

I did a google search on:

and got a few hits. Are you behind an corporate firewall/proxy?

Looks like you may be able to install by hand.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Idontknow84 » 18 Sep 2013, 16:24

Chris H. wrote:I did a google search on:

and got a few hits. Are you behind an corporate firewall/proxy?
No, I'm not behind any firewall/proxy. Incidentally, the installation used to launch Maven is labeled as "Embedded (3.0.4/1.4.0.20130531-2315)".

Looks like you may be able to install by hand.
How can I install m2e-svn by hand? Sorry for my noob questions, I'm pretty new to Eclipse and Java.
Idontknow84

Postby Chris H. » 18 Sep 2013, 20:25

Idontknow84 wrote:How can I install m2e-svn by hand? Sorry for my noob questions, I'm pretty new to Eclipse and Java.

Check out this link as it may be useful:

http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/m2e-users/msg01880.html
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby oskarolw » 14 Oct 2013, 09:03

Hello, I am considering trying to help out with development. I have managed to install everything and I can compile and run forge from eclipse. Now I just need to ask about branches, I have checked out the trunk atm and I guess the best way is to create my own branch to work in? Do I need to register and create the branch in the repo or can I make a local branch somehow?
oskarolw

Postby Chris H. » 15 Oct 2013, 18:59

oskarolw wrote:Hello, I am considering trying to help out with development. I have managed to install everything and I can compile and run forge from eclipse. Now I just need to ask about branches, I have checked out the trunk atm and I guess the best way is to create my own branch to work in? Do I need to register and create the branch in the repo or can I make a local branch somehow?

Much of the work is done in the trunk. On occasion we find a good reason to set up a branch. As time passes some people find that it is hard to bring in changes from the trunk to their own branch. Some people are great at this and it does not create too much of a challenge for them.

To make commits to the trunk and/or create a branch you will need to join the forge dev group to receive commit privs. Several of the people can give you these privs.

You should state your background and skills and give us an idea of what you plan to accomplish.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby oskarolw » 16 Oct 2013, 13:06

Chris H. wrote:
oskarolw wrote:Hello, I am considering trying to help out with development. I have managed to install everything and I can compile and run forge from eclipse. Now I just need to ask about branches, I have checked out the trunk atm and I guess the best way is to create my own branch to work in? Do I need to register and create the branch in the repo or can I make a local branch somehow?

Much of the work is done in the trunk. On occasion we find a good reason to set up a branch. As time passes some people find that it is hard to bring in changes from the trunk to their own branch. Some people are great at this and it does not create too much of a challenge for them.

To make commits to the trunk and/or create a branch you will need to join the forge dev group to receive commit privs. Several of the people can give you these privs.

You should state your background and skills and give us an idea of what you plan to accomplish.
I have a bachelor degree in programming and have worked a few years with development, though mostly PHP. I do not have any specific goal for forge I just figured I'd try to help out with whatever is needed, fixing bugs maybe? Been using this software for several years and I like it alot :)
oskarolw

Postby Chris H. » 17 Oct 2013, 14:16

oskarolw wrote:I have a bachelor degree in programming and have worked a few years with development, though mostly PHP. I do not have any specific goal for forge I just figured I'd try to help out with whatever is needed, fixing bugs maybe? Been using this software for several years and I like it alot :)

People tend to work on things that interest them as this provides motivation to work as a volunteer. We view forge as a hobby rather than a job.

Fixing a small/minor bug or two can be a good way to start and this would give you some experience in our project and it's code base.

We advise new members to our dev team to start off with something that is small and quick to finish. In the past several people have taken on a task that was far too difficult and time consuming. They burned out in the process. :(
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby drdev » 17 Oct 2013, 14:57

For example, I just started developing Forge at the end of July. I was interested in helping out with the GUI, so for my first project I simply added support for right-clicking color and card type filters in the Deck Editor to show only cards of that color or type, which is something I was used to from playing MTGO.

I finished that small project pretty quickly, then used it as a jumping off point into larger and more complicated GUI projects, such as my current project of adding a skinned title bar with the new Forge button, navigation tabs, and full screen support.
drdev
Programmer

Postby oskarolw » 26 Nov 2013, 11:46

Hello, I had previously managed to compile and run forge via eclipse but a while ago when I tried to check out the code again I can no longer get it to work.
If I understand correctly there have been some major changes from 1.5.5 to 1.5.6 ?
Before I checked out via SVN but I am now trying via Maven instead (in eclipse) I can check out but the structure is completely different from before, now there is forge-ai, forge-core, forge-game and forge-gui at the top level and I don't know how to run the project?

Also when I check out head revision I seem to be getting doubles of forge-ai, core, game, gui except one version is under its own project forge[trunk] -> x and the other version(s) are separate.
oskarolw

Postby drdev » 26 Nov 2013, 14:25

Remove trunk from your projects in Eclipse, the make sure all 4 forge-* folders are imported, the launch Main from forge-gui.
drdev
Programmer

PreviousNext

Return to Developer's Corner