It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:07

Text Size

How to get started?

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: How to get started?

Postby silly freak » 21 Aug 2009, 05:21

no, that's not neccessary. the sources come with the java JDK. if you only have a JRE, you don't have the sources. you can download the JDK, or only the sources from sun then (http://download.java.net/jdk6/source/)
___

where's the "trust me, that will work!" switch for the compiler?
Laterna Magica - blog, forum, project, 2010/09/06 release!
silly freak
DEVELOPER

Postby Chris H. » 22 Aug 2009, 19:57

I may be getting a little closer in my understanding of this JavaDoc situation. I own an Apple Macintosh computer. Apple users do not download Java from Sun, we get ours from Apple and there is no included src.zip file.

I downloaded the 3.5 cocoa version of Eclipse for the Mac. When I select:

Eclipse -> Preferences... -> Java -> Installed JRE's

I see a list of JRE definitions:

JVM 1.4
JVM 1.4.1
JVM 1.4.2
JVM 1.5
JVM 1.5.0 (MacOS X Default)
JVM 1.6
JVM 1.60

JVM 1.5.0 is the only one with a check box that is checked. When I highlight this default, the Edit... button will become active.

When I click on Edit I get a list of JRE system libraries (jar) displayed. These have a triangle that I can click on. When I click I see the following:

Source attachment: (none)
Javadoc location: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/

There is a "Javadoc Location..." button which will let me select the Archive path and the Path within archive. I think that I need to download a file of some sort from Sun and the place this archive in the workspace folder and then select this archive for the site for my Javadocs.

I am considering placing the archive that I downloaded from the Sun link that Silly Freak provided. I suspect that the above will not give the short "Show in javadoc view" but will instead allow me to click on the "Open External Javadoc" button and I will get a browser page description.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby silly freak » 23 Aug 2009, 10:21

don't know about JDK with mac... bit with the two archives, the procedure should be the same
you're right with the downloads, you won't come around them. here are the links again, if you need them: source and docs

you don't have to place them in your workspace. any place is fine. you should unpack the javadoc and point to the folder, instead of the archive. otherwise, you're probably not able to use the "open external javadoc" button.
___

silly freak
DEVELOPER

Postby Chris H. » 26 Aug 2009, 14:09

Java.net was down for some time but I was able to download the source and I used the Source Attachment button to attach the source (jar) file. I now have the Eclipse-based JavaDoc. :D

I downloaded the docs archive from the docs link and I tried to use the Javadoc Location button to attach the unpacked docs folder.

Eclipse is looking for 'package-list' and 'index.html' files and only one of these can be found in the root level of the /docs/ folder path.

I tried setting the path to: /docs/api/ and "open external javadoc" does not work. When I click on the "open external javadoc" button the web browser is pointing to a http://help.eclipse.org/... address and does not display anything from the docs folder.

I have used the "Browse..." button to set the Javadoc location path and the "Validate..." button states that the location is likely valid. I can click the "Open in Browser" button and the browser will display the "Overview (Java Platform SE 6)" page which is titled "JavaTM Platform, Standard Edition 6 API Specification". The browser path is pointing to .../docs/api/index.html

I am very close to figuring this out but I have hit a wall. :oops: _ ](*,)
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby silly freak » 26 Aug 2009, 16:10

so does it work? for me, it sounds so, but your last sentence seems to state the opposite...
___

silly freak
DEVELOPER

Postby Chris H. » 26 Aug 2009, 17:21

silly freak wrote:so does it work? for me, it sounds so, but your last sentence seems to state the opposite...
I'm sorry for my confusing statement. :)

As of my last message the Eclipse based javadoc was working but the browser based javadoc was not working.

I just made a couple of changes and the browser based javadoc is now working. =D>

I am not sure which of the two changes was the one which fixed my problem.

I set my browser preferences to always accept cookies.

I also set the Eclipse preferences to look for the javadoc in the Archive path: "jdk-6u10-docs.zip" file. And I set the Path within archive to "docs/api"

And I now have both of the javadocs available. 8)
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Chris H. » 13 Sep 2009, 17:03

In message:

Re: CardFactory.java

I am still having problems figuring out how to set a new "private static final long serialVersionUID".
In message:

Re: CardFactory.java

By the way, for adding the serialVersionUID thing:

Eclipse will start complaining and give a warning whenever there's a serializable class that doesn't have a serialVersionUID. You'll see this through a yellow underline under the class declaration and a small yellow rectangle on the right hand side. Just hover over the yellow underline and select "Add generated serial version ID".
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Triadasoul » 30 Nov 2009, 09:10

I've downloaded Eclipse, imported sourcecode that came with 11/25 version. I'm trying to run it (Gui_Newgame) on eclipse but i have some exception while compiling: java.io.FileNotFoundException: forge.properties. What am i doing wrong?
Triadasoul

Postby Chris H. » 30 Nov 2009, 11:46

Triadasoul wrote:I've downloaded Eclipse, imported sourcecode that came with 11/25 version. I'm trying to run it (Gui_Newgame) on eclipse but i have some exception while compiling: java.io.FileNotFoundException: forge.properties. What am i doing wrong?
`
When you uncompress the Forge 11-25 beta you will find a file named "forge.properties" in the root level of the forge folder. Place a copy of this file into the root folder of your Eclipse Forge project and you should be fine. :wink:
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Triadasoul » 30 Nov 2009, 11:57

Thank you! it works :D
Triadasoul

Postby lord of 13 » 14 Oct 2010, 00:02

Argh... I have free time again, and I was looking to download the latest source code, but the 10/12 download doesn't come with any source code! Any help? The SVN is empty... :o
><><><><><><><
Currently developing Mindgames, for playing a rules-enforced game of MtG.
RECENT PROJECTS
->XMLScript
->Zwiel Platformer
lord of 13
DEVELOPER

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 14 Oct 2010, 03:24

The SVN certainly is not empty. How are you trying to get to the SVN?
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby lord of 13 » 14 Oct 2010, 04:28

Wowzers... I went to the older google code site. I used the link on mtgrare's blog, and I found it. *facepalm* Sorry about wasting your time.
><><><><><><><
Currently developing Mindgames, for playing a rules-enforced game of MtG.
RECENT PROJECTS
->XMLScript
->Zwiel Platformer
lord of 13
DEVELOPER

Postby Chris H. » 17 Oct 2010, 10:29

I received a PM in reference to how do we download the source code from the SVN into our local copy of Eclipse. I decided to post my answer here where it can help other people to get started.

I am answering this early in the morning and I am still half asleep. :wink: I hope that I remembered to post all of the information. People should feel free to ask any questions if they need additional assistance.

You need to install a matching set of Subclipse and Subversion and this will allow you to access the SVN. At this point:

In project explorer do a File -> New -> Project and name it ForgeSVN.

Then do a File -> Import - Checkout Projects from SVN.

Use this for the repository location:

https://cardforge.googlecode.com/svn

At this point select the "src" folder and Eclipse will transfer the files to your local copy on your computer. Note that to merge your work into the SVN requires you to use "https" rather than the more common "http".
Last edited by Chris H. on 12 Dec 2010, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: "svn" needs to be lowercase.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby bladescape » 18 Oct 2010, 04:59

Hmm, I've already pm'd you back for this, but I'll remember to ask here from now on! :wink:
bladescape

PreviousNext

Return to Developer's Corner