It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:20

Text Size

Adjusted Cardsfolder Structure

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Adjusted Cardsfolder Structure

Postby friarsol » 28 Jun 2014, 03:05

For a little while, I've been considering migrating our cardsfolder from our current a-z folder system to a folder system based on the original printed set of each card. This would not only make new sets easier (New cards go into a single folder), it would also make custom set creation easier (All non-reprints go into a single folder + an additional editions file). I think the only edition that we can't use the three letter set code is Conflux, since "con" is an illegal folder name in Windows. I think typically we've used "cfx" for conflux due to this.

So the basic lands would all be in the "lea" set. Shock would be in "sth". LEB and 2ED wouldn't have any cards, etc. Since we only have a single card file per distinct card.

I bring this up because I've been working on the Hidden Agenda Conspiracy cards, and plan to commit them probably tomorrow using this system for the cardsfolder. (These will functionally work if manually added to the draft deck file, although I probably won't have a way on the first commit for the Draft Editor to add Conspiracies into the Conspiracy Deck Section). I guess I could move them into their respective folders, but if I'm going to be rearranging the structure soon anyway, I might as well just start now.

Any thoughts?
friarsol
Global Moderator

Re: Adjusted Cardsfolder Structure

Postby Xitax » 28 Jun 2014, 19:47

I'm not sure about this.

So as I understand it, the new folder structure would allow you to easily differentiate between new cards and reprints, but on the other hand it really muddies the water when you have to go to the folder of the original printing to find it.
Xitax

Postby friarsol » 28 Jun 2014, 21:46

Xitax wrote:I'm not sure about this.

So as I understand it, the new folder structure would allow you to easily differentiate between new cards and reprints, but on the other hand it really muddies the water when you have to go to the folder of the original printing to find it.
Is it really that hard to find cards? I just open up Sublime Text and Ctrl+Shift+F the card name, it's way faster than scrolling through an open dialog through the S folder.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby elcnesh » 01 Jul 2014, 09:10

Maybe if we create symlinks from each reprint to the original card? (SVN supports that, but I'm not sure about Windows...)
elcnesh

Postby friarsol » 01 Jul 2014, 12:16

Hmmm that might be possible. It looks like Windows supported symlinks starting with Windows 7, is anyone still using an os before Win7?

Although I'm not sure how much that really helps Xitax's concern. You would still need to know any set a card was printed to find a folder it lives in.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Marek14 » 01 Jul 2014, 17:43

friarsol wrote:Hmmm that might be possible. It looks like Windows supported symlinks starting with Windows 7, is anyone still using an os before Win7?

Although I'm not sure how much that really helps Xitax's concern. You would still need to know any set a card was printed to find a folder it lives in.
Couldn't you find that by opening Forge and running the deckbuilder? He will find the information there.

Or, an idea: a debug mode switch that would allow you to directly see the card code from within deckbuilder.
Marek14
Tester

Postby moomarc » 01 Jul 2014, 19:51

I've been away for a month because of a big contract I was working on, but if I recall correctly, you can already see the card code directly from the workshop screen
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Postby Max mtg » 04 Jul 2014, 17:51

To have all cardfiles rearranged into folder based on the first set when the card has been printed is a worst idea on folders management.

No developer will be happy to memorize the fact that Shock was originally printed in the STH, Path to Exile belongs to CFX and where the 20000 other cards are to be found. And it will be a complete waste of time looking up the original edition for each card.

Yet, if you want to group some uncommon cards into some dedicated folders, it's fine then: a-z folders are for the regular cards; with schemas, planes, avatars and other tournament illegal stuff set aside in their own folders looks good.

Speaking of new sets, consider mantaining a dedicated folder during the spoiler season while you are working on the new cards. After the set is fully scripted, let some python script move those cardfiles into folders matching the first letter of the card's name. So that they'll be easy to find without any extra knowledge.
Single class for single responsibility.
Max mtg
Programmer

Return to Developer's Corner