Text Size

Set Structure Changing

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Set Structure Changing

Postby friarsol » 25 Aug 2014, 15:39

An interesting read about the new changes to Set Structure:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... amorphosis

I don't think Forge will really be affected all that much for this, since our blockdata already handles this type of thing flexibly. And we'll just have to be more aware of when to update our formats, since that will change more often.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Re: Set Structure Changing

Postby KrazyTheFox » 25 Aug 2014, 17:56

This is going to be awesome. I daresay we'll see more new cards every year since the reprint count will probably go down in the absence of the core sets. I can't think of anything that would break off the top of my head on Forge, either. Sure is nice to have bases covered already.
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby Fizanko » 27 Aug 2014, 20:55

I wonder if they will be able to maintain the 2 full blocks each years, as even if 1 block get 1 less expansion set, in total that's 4 sets by years instead of 3 they will have to keep up.

For the creatives that must find new idea for abilities, mechanisms, etc , that's going to be harder than before to make everything feel slightly different.
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Duel Decks for Forge - Forge custom decks (updated 25/10/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby friarsol » 27 Aug 2014, 21:01

Fizanko wrote:I wonder if they will be able to maintain the 2 full blocks each years, as even if 1 block get 1 less expansion set, in total that's 4 sets by years instead of 3 they will have to keep up.
They were already doing 4 sets a year since they also were doing a core set. I think they have plenty of ideas to explore. Overall this seems like very positive changes, and as someone who has been retired from physical cards for years, the primary negative (18 month standard rotation == more expensive standard) doesn't really bother me.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Fizanko » 27 Aug 2014, 22:45

Ah yes, i forgot the core set was disappearing too.
Not going to regret this one, it never had the impact of the actual blocks to me.
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby lugaru » 28 Aug 2014, 10:20

One of my Forge 'hobbies' is called Worlds Tour, where I grab a block (and sometimes more since I'm representing a world) and build a bunch of decks around it, both the obvious ones and some weird ideas. Having 2 sets per block will make each block more coherent in my opinion, which is a good thing. It also means new original content twice as fast and even though Core sets where FINALLY getting interesting, I'm fine seeing 'em go.

Very happy with this news, maybe we will get a Return to Mirage sooner than later, I would love a good African set. My second choice was a 'fantasy' pan asian set similar to 3 kingdoms and Kamigawa but involving more countries, and that is EXACTLY what Khans if Tarkir is starting to look like so I'm super happy.
lugaru

Postby Fizanko » 28 Aug 2014, 17:45

I wonder if we'll see a Shandalar block in the future, this has been asked so many times already, maybe they will one day get to it (and M15 got a Soul of Shandalar card).
Though i don't think they'll re-use the Shandalar cards of the old mircropose game time, as it would mean going back to old cards mechanics instead of trying new stuff.

But there's plenty of creative ways to innovate with cards and mechanics while keeping the Shandalar lore for the backstory (the five master mages, new planewalkers fighting them, Arzakon finally becoming a planewalker card etc..)
Fizanko
Tester

Return to Developer's Corner