It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:39

Text Size

Achivement discussion

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Achivement discussion

Postby drdev » 17 Sep 2014, 02:33

I just finished adding support for the custom achievement trophies. If you put them in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Forge\Cache\pics\achievements, they'll show up as shown below:

CustomAchievements.png

Rooger, could you get rid of the transparent area at the bottom of each image? Right now I have a hard-coded an 8 pixel offset so they appear in the right place, but I'd prefer to get rid of that. Also, I just noticed the trophy is not quite centered horizontally. It looks like it needs to be shifted a pixel to the right. Lastly, the little strip of flare that goes beyond the bottom right edge of the pedestal should be trimmed, since it doesn't look good against the shelf.

Otherwise, it's all looking great. Thanks.

EDIT: Here's an idea of what it looks like scaled down on the 320x480 mobile app window. Obviously it will look even better on an actual device.

CustomAchievementsMobile.png
drdev
Programmer

Postby drdev » 17 Sep 2014, 04:16

One more new achievement to report.

Blackjack - Win game by dealing 21 [or more] combat damage with your commander.

As part of this, I realized the need to support breaking up the shared prefix for the 3 tiers onto its own line, which I've also done for some other achievements with lengthy descriptions. Here's an idea of what this looks like:

Blackjack.png

If you can think of a better name for this achievement, let me know. I just chose Blackjack because of it being "21" damage.
drdev
Programmer

Postby Marek14 » 17 Sep 2014, 05:01

Do you plan to add achievements for all alternate victory conditions? :)
Marek14
Tester

Postby drdev » 17 Sep 2014, 05:33

Marek14 wrote:Do you plan to add achievements for all alternate victory conditions? :)
I've already covered all the alternate win conditions covered by the rules other than cards that say "You win the game" or "target player loses the game". For those win conditions, I'm planning to make a single, collection-style achievement where you earn a Bronze, Silver, or Gold based on the number of those cards you have successfully won a game with. I'll likely make Bronze require just one such card, Silver require 5, and Gold require 10.

How does that sound?
Last edited by drdev on 17 Sep 2014, 05:52, edited 1 time in total.
drdev
Programmer

Postby drdev » 17 Sep 2014, 05:35

I'm happy to report that I just finished adding the achievement info bubble to the desktop game. Unlike the mobile game, which lacks hover support, the desktop game will show the tooltip by simply hovering over the achievement, like so:

AchievementsScreen3.png
drdev
Programmer

Postby Rooger » 17 Sep 2014, 08:59

Pretty nice, it's all looking good to me, and thank you for the new achievements.

drdev wrote:Rooger, could you get rid of the transparent area at the bottom of each image? Right now I have a hard-coded an 8 pixel offset so they appear in the right place, but I'd prefer to get rid of that. Also, I just noticed the trophy is not quite centered horizontally. It looks like it needs to be shifted a pixel to the right. Lastly, the little strip of flare that goes beyond the bottom right edge of the pedestal should be trimmed, since it doesn't look good against the shelf.
Ok, I see, i just left that space for the shadow below the pedestal but yes that space is unnecessary, I trimmed the images to fit in a 135x185, cropped 8px from the bottom and 2px from the top, I also centered the image and cleaned up the flare (didn't saw that at all :S). I think it's all good right now.

drdev wrote:I've already covered all the alternate win conditions covered by the rules other than cards that say "You win the game" or "target player loses the game". For those win conditions, I'm planning to make a single, collection-style achievement where you earn a Bronze, Silver, or Gold based on the number of those cards you have successfully won a game with. I'll likely make Bronze require just one such card, Silver require 5, and Gold require 10.
That would be sweet :D

Ok now for my update on the project, I just finished a couple more achievements, Life to Spare, featuring Soul's Attendant (I was going for Soul Warden but wasn't looking good on such a narrow space) and Decked Out, featuring Jace Beleren. What do you guys think about that?

Also i got a need idea, you can see it in the example below, what if the bronze award is greyd out, the silver get's just a hint of color and gold is in full chromatic awesomeness...it's just a way to make gold even more special and desirable.
Attachments
custom_achievements3.jpg
Rooger

Postby Rooger » 17 Sep 2014, 12:56

Here are my first attempts at the custom achievements, all the achievements implemented until now are done. If you guys know of better/more suitable art to go with them please feel free to tell me and i'll change it.

The example image is just to get an idea of how it will look like in forge.

Sorry about the double post...
Attachments
custom_achievements.rar
(2.26 MiB) Downloaded 317 times
example.jpg
Rooger

Postby Agetian » 17 Sep 2014, 13:11

These look very cool, Rooger! Definitely using them in my Forge setup, thanks! :)

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby drdev » 17 Sep 2014, 13:38

Very fine work. I wish I had your Photoshop skills. Can't wait to test them out later.

Now we just need to figure out the best place to make them downloadable from. Can someone help with that?
drdev
Programmer

Postby KrazyTheFox » 17 Sep 2014, 14:01

drdev wrote:Very fine work. I wish I had your Photoshop skills. Can't wait to test them out later.

Now we just need to figure out the best place to make them downloadable from. Can someone help with that?
I'm not sure who's in charge of it, but wherever the quest/token/boosters/etc images are hosted for Forge already should work. If you'd like something sooner I can stick them on my server and give you a permanent url someone tonight after work.

The images look great, by the way!
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby friarsol » 17 Sep 2014, 14:20

KrazyTheFox wrote:I'm not sure who's in charge of it, but wherever the quest/token/boosters/etc images are hosted for Forge already should work. If you'd like something sooner I can stick them on my server and give you a permanent url someone tonight after work.

The images look great, by the way!
Generally moomarc's territory. Not sure who else has access to that part of cardforge. Chris H I'm sure does. I'll send marc an email, last I spoke with him he said he doesn't have access to slightlymagic during the day anymore, so isn't as active due to that. But uploading a few images shouldn't be a big deal.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Marek14 » 17 Sep 2014, 16:48

drdev wrote:
Marek14 wrote:Do you plan to add achievements for all alternate victory conditions? :)
I've already covered all the alternate win conditions covered by the rules other than cards that say "You win the game" or "target player loses the game". For those win conditions, I'm planning to make a single, collection-style achievement where you earn a Bronze, Silver, or Gold based on the number of those cards you have successfully won a game with. I'll likely make Bronze require just one such card, Silver require 5, and Gold require 10.

How does that sound?
Let's have a look at how many alternate win conditions actually exists...
There's 17 cards that let you win the game outright:
The Filibuster - Azor's Elocutors (Talk might be cheap, but it can buy you victory!)
The Clean Slate - Barren Glory (When you have nothing, you can lose nothing... so you can win everything!)
The Library of Congress - Battle of Wits (So many answers, so little time to look through them...)
The Clique - Biovisionary (And now my... I mean our plan is complete!)
The Accident - Chance Encounter (This victory was brought to you by a series of fortunate events.)
The Teamwork - Coalition Victory (Let's all be friends!)
The Machine - Darksteel Reactor (What are you going to do with all this power? Whatever you want!)
The Army - Epic Struggle (Let's just trample them into ground already!)
The Cat's Life - Felidar Sovereign (Just wait for his other eight lives!)
The Tower - Helix Pinnacle (The view from the top is great!)
The Hoard - Hellkite Tyrant (You made your bed of treasure, now lie in it!)
The Insanity - Laboratory Maniac (No more questions? I'm omniscient now!)
The Gargantuan - Mayael's Aria (Just my shadow weighs a ton!)
The Labyrinth - Maze's End (What? No bossfight?)
The Boneyard - Mortal Combat (So peaceful...)
The Edge - Near-Death Experience (Phew... I thought I was going to die!)
The Test - Test of Endurance (So... did I pass?)

And, strangely enough, also 17 cards that can make you or someone else lose:
The Flip - Amulet of Quoz (Pretty dumb way to win, isn't it?)
The Door - Door to Nothingness (And behind the door #2 is...)
The Time Limit - Final Fortune, Last Chance, Warrior's Oath (Time's up!)
The Empty Grave - Forbidden Crypt (Isn't there something underneath...?)
The Rock Bottom - Immortal Coil (It's unraveling now...)
The Deal with Devil - Intervention Pact, Pact of Negation, Pact of the Titan, Slaughter Pact, Summoner's Pact (The check has bounced...)
The Phylactery - Lich (It broke...)
The Phylactery II - Nefarious Lich (I hope this is safe...)
The Femme Fatale - Phage the Untouchable (No touching!)
The Full Life - Transcendence (The beginning is also the end.)
The Assassination - Vraska the Unseen (Special delivery!)
Marek14
Tester

Postby KrazyTheFox » 17 Sep 2014, 16:54

Regarding the above post, what do you think about adding a fourth tier of achievements for some really hard to earn achievements, such as winning in every possible way?
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby Agetian » 17 Sep 2014, 16:56

KrazyTheFox wrote:Regarding the above post, what do you think about adding a fourth tier of achievements for some really hard to earn achievements, such as winning in every possible way?
Yes, a good idea, by the way. They could be called something like "Diamond" tier achievements or something like that (in DoomRL they use bronze/silver/gold/platinum/diamond, but they have 5 tiers for most achievements).

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby Rooger » 17 Sep 2014, 17:13

Thanks guys! I'm glad i could help the best i can. Unfortunately I don't have a server of my own to upload the images, so if you guys don't mind, uploading them in the server with the other graphic content would be a great idea.

Marek14, your post is by itself an achievement eheh. It would be awesome to have each one of those win conditions as an achievement (i like the titles too), it would surely help us fill our shelves with trophies :D

KrazyTheFox wrote:Regarding the above post, what do you think about adding a fourth tier of achievements for some really hard to earn achievements, such as winning in every possible way?
I'm with you.
Rooger

PreviousNext

Return to Developer's Corner