It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:17

Text Size

Achivement discussion

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Achivement discussion

Postby drdev » 15 Sep 2014, 02:41

Xitax wrote:Would you add support for custom trophy graphics? BTW, are all these going to be hard-coded, or can they be scripted?
The trophies and name plate are present in sprite_icons.png in res/skins/default, so you can override their appearance for other skins if you desire. Or do you mean to show different images for different achievements? If that's what you mean, I could always add a virtual function that determines what image to show, with it defaulting to the trophy of the appropriate tier, but supporting overriding with another image.

As for your second question, at the moment they're hard-coded in class files. Right now it's just much easier to implement them in code, but if that changes we could look into supporting scripting.
drdev
Programmer

Postby drdev » 15 Sep 2014, 03:39

I've made some progress on setting up an achievements screen for the Android app. As part of this, I set it up so you can click on an achievement to select it and show a tooltip below with details about what it takes to reach each tier.

Achievements.png

Note that although the nameplates are hard to read on their own, it will look better on an actual device, and I also added support for zooming in using two finger zoom.

I plan to implement similar selection and tooltip support for the desktop game next, then start trying to flesh out some more achievements. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.
-Dan
drdev
Programmer

Postby Agetian » 15 Sep 2014, 03:43

@ drdev: This looks really cool, Dan! I like the mobile screen! Also, a cool idea about the tooltips - I was wondering about how to figure out what to do for each achievement and now there's going to be a good way :) Keep up the great work!

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby Agetian » 15 Sep 2014, 03:53

By the way, am I correct assuming that the mobile version will use the same 798px asset for the achievement shelf as the desktop version? (in case I have some free time to dedicate to modeling in the next few days, I'd still like to try to come up with a higher res version of it for you)

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby drdev » 15 Sep 2014, 04:02

Agetian wrote:By the way, am I correct assuming that the mobile version will use the same 798px asset for the achievement shelf as the desktop version? (in case I have some free time to dedicate to modeling in the next few days, I'd still like to try to come up with a higher res version of it for you)

- Agetian
Yes, I use the same image files for both versions. Thanks again.
drdev
Programmer

Postby Rooger » 16 Sep 2014, 11:50

Hey guys i was messing around in photoshop and came up with this 3 options for the shelf in hi res. Please let me know if you like to change something, i'm open to new ideas.

By the way, I was unable to change the textures and test them on my own skin, as of now the textures only change for all skins if you replace the files in the Default skin folder, maybe multiple theme support is something to look forward in the future? :D

Anyway, i just want to congratulate you guys for this neat addition for the all mighty forge =D>

Edit: I was thinking about the award images and came up with the idea that they could be different from one another, something like duels of the planeswalkers, the problem is that this means more disk space for the images and keeping them in the sprites file wouldnt be wise either, maybe a separate file like we have for avatars and perhaps the option to download it from the content download menu for those who dont mind the extra mb's, keeping the gold/silver/bronze trophies as default for the ones who dont care for that kind of stuff...It's just a thought but in the long run, when more and more achievments become available, a little diversity will be cool i guess

Edit 2:What do you guys think of something like this? This is just a quick sketch, dont mind the poorly selection on the cut-outs :oops:

Each one of the pictures is 180x180, 3 for each row. If you guys agree with this we could start discussing pictures for the already implemented achievements and i wouldnt mind processing them.
Attachments
achievements.jpg
example_1.jpg
example_2.jpg
example_3.jpg
Rooger

Postby drdev » 16 Sep 2014, 19:10

I went ahead and swapped out the shelf for the hi-res one. I decided to use just the plain shelf as I thought the watermarks might look weird behind the trophies. I did tweak it slightly so some of the edges were softer and so the grain flows between shelves with no obvious break.

Here's an idea of what it now looks like:

AchievementsScreen2.png

Thanks for your help creating the hi-res shelf. It turned out great.

EDIT: Here's what the mobile screen looks like. I zoomed in a bit on the app before taking the screenshot so you could get an idea what it will look like on a device with better resolution than the 320x480 test window, as well as to showcase the two-finger zoom support I added for that screen.

Achievements2.png
Last edited by drdev on 16 Sep 2014, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
drdev
Programmer

Postby Rooger » 16 Sep 2014, 19:40

Cool! Its looking really nice, glad i could help. :D
Yeah, you are right about the clean shelf, the symbols are a bit distracting. By the way well done on the edges, i saw that problem in photoshop but i wanted to test it in forge before cloning the edges to figure out the areas that needed to be changed for a seamless pattern.

What do you think about the achievements icons? Is it feasible? Is it worth it? I dont know nothing about coding so it might something i'm "oversimplifing" but i think it would be a cool feature even though a optional one, and as i said i dont mind working on the graphic part.
Rooger

Postby drdev » 16 Sep 2014, 19:56

Rooger wrote:What do you think about the achievements icons? Is it feasible? Is it worth it? I dont know nothing about coding so it might something i'm "oversimplifing" but i think it would be a cool feature even though a optional one, and as i said i dont mind working on the graphic part.
I intend to add many more achievements, and I'm not sure it's worth the additional disk space to package them with the game. Not to mention the extra overhead it would create for anyone who wants to add achievements in the future. So I think we should use the trophies as the defaults.

That said, I think it could be cool to have custom trophies as a downloadable extra, which would replace the trophy image if they're found on disk. With that, I would say to not leave space on the trophy for the text, instead letting the existing nameplate handle that. Instead, maybe we can create three special pedestals that the custom trophy would sit on, one Bronze, one Silver, and one Gold. That way we can still differentiate the three tiers for each achievement and it would also allow us to still fit 4 on a shelf by making the overall trophy taller. Unless you'd prefer to design 3 different custom images per achievement.

What do you think?
drdev
Programmer

Postby Rooger » 16 Sep 2014, 20:51

Yes that's what i was going for, the custom trophies as extra images, the users who want custom images for the achievements can download them from the server on the content download menu.

Regarding the pedestals, that's a good idea, I'll browse around to see if i can find some good reference pictures/icons for the pedestals and i'll post here some examples.

About the achievements, how can i assign a custom picture for each one? What's the best way to do it, one single png like the sprites file or several files like the quest opponents icons? Is there a list of the already implemented achievements, so i can start working on them?
Rooger

Postby drdev » 16 Sep 2014, 21:10

Rooger wrote:Yes that's what i was going for, the custom trophies as extra images, the users who want custom images for the achievements can download them from the server on the content download menu.

Regarding the pedestals, that's a good idea, I'll browse around to see if i can find some good reference pictures/icons for the pedestals and i'll post here some examples.

About the achievements, how can i assign a custom picture for each one? What's the best way to do it, one single png like the sprites file or several files like the quest opponents icons? Is there a list of the already implemented achievements, so i can start working on them?
I'd try to name them the same as the key used for storing them in the xml file (with a .png extension), and I can add the necessary code to look for them. Here's a list of the achievements I have implemented so far (Note that the text is for context, not to include in the images):

• GameWinStreak - Win X games in a row
  • MatchWinStreak - Win X matches in a row
  • TotalGameWins - Win X games
  • TotalMatchWins - Win X matches
  • Overkill - Win game with opponent at X life or less
  • LifeToSpare - Win game with X life more than you started with
  • Hellbent - Win game with no cards in hand [or library, or graveyard]
  • Vanguard - Win one [or more] Vanguard games
  • MomirBasic - Win one [or more] Momir Basic games
  • Commander - Win one [or more] Commander games
  • Planechase - Win one [or more] Planechase games
  • Archenemy - Win one [or more] Archenemy games
drdev
Programmer

Postby Rooger » 16 Sep 2014, 21:51

Ok, got it. Thanks for the list i'll look for mtg art that could represent those achievements, and by the way, you guys feel free to give some suggestions it would help alot :D

Let me know what you think of something like this. The name of the files could be, for example, gamewinstreak_1 for bronze, gamewinstreak_2 for silver, gamewinstreak_3 for gold, etc.

Edit: Here is another screenshot test with a couple more examples to see how they go together, I also made them a little more shiny :D

drdev, you can download the rar file with the achievements i've made so far to test them in forge, they are in png and have the nomenclature you mentioned on your previous post.
Attachments
custom_achievements.rar
(640.02 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
custom_achievements2.jpg
gamewinstreak_1.png
gamewinstreak_1.png (60.95 KiB) Viewed 14072 times
gamewinstreak_2.png
gamewinstreak_2.png (60.25 KiB) Viewed 14072 times
gamewinstreak_3.png
gamewinstreak_3.png (62.59 KiB) Viewed 14072 times
custom_achievements.jpg
Rooger

Postby drdev » 17 Sep 2014, 01:34

I just finished adding a few more achievements:

• NeedForSpeed - Win a game by turn X
  • Poisoned - Win a game by giving opponent 10 [or more] poison counters
  • DeckedOut - Win a game from opponent drawing into an empty library [by turn X]

For NeedForSpeed, it's an achievement in all 4 game modes, but in Constructed and Quest Mode it takes a turn 5 to get Bronze, turn 3 for Silver, and turn 1 for Gold, whereas for Draft and Sealed I made it take a turn 8 for Bronze, turn 6 for Silver, and turn 4 for Gold to make it more achievable given the limited card pool.

Poisoned and Decked Out will only be a Constructed achievement, much like the variant mode achievements. Each require simply winning that way to get Bronze, but Poisoned requires an overkill of poison counters to earn Silver (15) and Gold (25), and Decked Out requires a fast kill to earn Silver (turn 8 ) and Gold (turn 4). I figured this way it makes for an easy achievement to get Bronze by trying out a Poison or Mill deck, but makes you work a bit harder to get Silver and Gold.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
-Dan
drdev
Programmer

Postby friarsol » 17 Sep 2014, 01:55

Odd that Poisoned and Decked aren't Quest Achievements, since we already give extra rewards for that?
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby drdev » 17 Sep 2014, 02:09

friarsol wrote:Odd that Poisoned and Decked aren't Quest Achievements, since we already give extra rewards for that?
Didn't realize that. I'll add them as quest achievements too in that case.
drdev
Programmer

PreviousNext

Return to Developer's Corner