It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 12:58

Text Size

quest commander

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

quest commander

Postby schattenstern » 19 Dec 2015, 08:10

I have a wierd idea for future versions of the programm -> is it possible to have a questmode with the commander rules?
schattenstern

Re: quest commander

Postby friarsol » 19 Dec 2015, 14:19

Not really weird, it's something we want to do, but building AI decks for Commander is no small task.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby drdev » 19 Dec 2015, 14:50

The Planar Conquest mode I'm working on might be what you're looking for. Check out the Android app thread for more details as they are revealed.
drdev
Programmer

Postby schattenstern » 20 Dec 2015, 10:05

Taht mode seems very interesting but will it be also included into the PC version?
Sorry but i did not read the android threads until now because i play only on the PC.
schattenstern

Postby serrasmurf » 20 Dec 2015, 11:24

friarsol wrote:Not really weird, it's something we want to do, but building AI decks for Commander is no small task.
That would be something I'd be happy to contribute to.
serrasmurf

Postby friarsol » 20 Dec 2015, 17:52

serrasmurf wrote:
friarsol wrote:Not really weird, it's something we want to do, but building AI decks for Commander is no small task.
That would be something I'd be happy to contribute to.
I think the biggest problem right now is the AI doesn't know how to use some of the mana rocks that are popular in Commander. Especially the Signets.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby drdev » 21 Dec 2015, 00:53

schattenstern wrote:Taht mode seems very interesting but will it be also included into the PC version?
Sorry but i did not read the android threads until now because i play only on the PC.
It's going to start off on Android but I do hope to make it available on PC eventually.
drdev
Programmer

Postby serrasmurf » 21 Dec 2015, 09:45

Looking forward to the PC version! Good luck with the android version in the meanwhile.
serrasmurf

Postby serrasmurf » 21 Dec 2015, 09:47

friarsol wrote: I think the biggest problem right now is the AI doesn't know how to use some of the mana rocks that are popular in Commander. Especially the Signets.
I’m not so worried about those, there are alternatives. The challenge is imho a different one. The best quest opponent decks are based on synergy & creature rushes, which apply pressure. These decks need consistency & curve. Both are more difficult in a 99-card deck. The commander does improve consistency however.
I rarely lose a game in Forge where the opponent doesn’t apply pressure. The more turns a game has the more room there is to outplay the AI. Commander games tend to go longer, there is the challenge. The multiplayer setting can fix anything though.
Question: I haven’t played commander in Forge for a while. Are the AI’s still picking on the human player or were you able to balance things (quite difficult I presume).
serrasmurf

Postby friarsol » 21 Dec 2015, 14:31

serrasmurf wrote:I’m not so worried about those, there are alternatives.
I was mostly saying that from a using existing Commander deck perspective. I created the one quest Challenge where you played as a duel deck using the the two decks the AI knew how to play the best. In the same light, I'd try this first as a one off challenge with two existing official product, but there's a whole bunch of cards the AI isn't good with. I'd definitely say start with a 1v1 Commander game before worrying about multiplayer. I'm not sure what the state of multiplayer decision making is.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby serrasmurf » 22 Dec 2015, 09:03

friarsol wrote:I was mostly saying that from a using existing Commander deck perspective. I created the one quest Challenge where you played as a duel deck using the the two decks the AI knew how to play the best. In the same light, I'd try this first as a one off challenge with two existing official product, but there's a whole bunch of cards the AI isn't good with. I'd definitely say start with a 1v1 Commander game before worrying about multiplayer. I'm not sure what the state of multiplayer decision making is.
OK, I see what you mean. Seems indeed the best place to start. If you need any help adapting these standard products to Forge, don't hesitate to ask.
serrasmurf

Return to Developer's Corner