It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 17:03

Text Size

Planar Conquest

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Planar Conquest

Postby drdev » 31 Jan 2016, 03:17

So I'm winding down development of Planar Conquest, and I felt it was about time to have a topic in Developer's Corner for it. Particularly noteworthy right now is I just finished refactoring the ConquestPlane enum into a resource file structure similar to that employed for Quest mode. This will make it more accessible for non-developers to contribute. I already have a few people who have volunteered to start building some decks, but it's a large effort and there's still a lot of planes that nobody has even started on.

Would anyone here be interested in helping out? If you have SVN installed, you can checkout the repository here:

http://svn.slightlymagic.net/forge/trun ... est/planes

If you checkout from this url, you can simply add your decks into the appropriate folders. There's also an _events.txt file template in each region's folder which needs to be filled out with a line for each deck defining the name, variant, avatar, and an optional description. This template will also give an idea of what I'm looking for for each region, which is at least 6 decks (up to 9) including at least 1 Commander, Vanguard, and Planeswalker deck. Planeswalker in this case is a format I'm planning to introduce which is essentially Commander but with a Planeswalker rather than legendary creature being placed in the command zone and no color identity restriction.

Another thing I could use help with is validating the cards.txt file for each plane. Basically, it's meant to contain all the cards from outside sets defined in the sets.txt file that originate from the plane. This includes cards from Origins, core sets, specialty sets, etc. I did my best creating these lists initially, but I'm sure there are cards I missed and perhaps some ones that I misplaced.

Lastly, if you want a sneak peak at Planar Conquest, you can run forge-gui-mobile-dev from source. Eventually I'd appreciate any help testing the new game mode.

Thanks.
-Dan
Last edited by friarsol on 31 Jan 2016, 03:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sticky
drdev
Programmer

Re: Planar Conquest

Postby Agetian » 31 Jan 2016, 06:37

Thanks for your dedication and commitment to finish this game mode, Dan! Good luck with wrapping up the initial release! Once I find some time I'll try to provide some input, possibly in the form of testing the mode in action, possibly in the form of contributing to the card list testing/correction. Here's hoping you'll find some good deck designers to help designing challenges for the mode! :)

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby mastroego » 02 Feb 2016, 14:13

Just wanted to drop a quick "thank you" for this massive feature.
I'm on a Forge hiatus ATM because of too much stuff going on, but I look forward to play this mode nonetheless.
mastroego

Postby drdev » 18 Mar 2016, 16:03

I case anyone hasn't checked it out, Planar Conquest is now available on the current Android app release. It's still unfinished, but it's at least playable. Any and all feedback is appreciated.
drdev
Programmer

Postby Corwin72 » 18 Mar 2016, 17:45

Is adding this beta to the Windows application close on the road map or a longer term goal?
Corwin72

Postby drdev » 19 Mar 2016, 00:30

Corwin72 wrote:Is adding this beta to the Windows application close on the road map or a longer term goal?
Longer term. I want time to iron out the kinks and polish it some before I do that. That said, I have tried to put as much code as possible into forge-gui so as to allow sharing it between the two UIs.
drdev
Programmer

Postby drdev » 18 Apr 2016, 21:58

So I'm working on the design for Events, and I thought I'd run my ideas by you guys before I get into the implementation. Here's what I have so far:

Summary
  • New screen named accessible from "Events" item in main drop down menu
  • Screen will show list of events that can be entered for the current plane
  • Each event will have a requirement to unlock (such as collecting X cards/commanders/planeswalkers from the plane or defeating X opponents)
  • Each event will cost 1 Planeswalk Emblem + X AEther shards to enter, where X is based on the average rewards you'd expect to receive from the event)

Event ideas
  • Draft (3 boosters for current plane, 3 match single elimination, rewards picks plus 1 bonus booster per win)
  • Sealed (6 boosters for current plane, 3 match swiss, rewards picks plus 1 bonus booster per win)
  • Planeswalker Draft (same as Draft except uses Planeswalker format with your current planeswalker)
  • Planeswalker Sealed (see above)
  • Commander War (works like Momir Basic, except pulls from your commanders for you and all commanders of the plane for your opponent)
  • Bounty Hunt (tags 3 random opponents on plane as bounties which you must seek out and defeat)
  • Gauntlet (must defeat 3 random opponents from current plane consecutively without losing)

Any feedback is much appreciated, as are ideas for any other events.

Thanks.
-Dan
Last edited by drdev on 19 Apr 2016, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.
drdev
Programmer

Postby friarsol » 19 Apr 2016, 01:17

drdev wrote:Event ideas
  • Draft (3 boosters for current plane, 3 match single elimination, rewards picks plus 1 bonus booster per win)
  • Sealed (5 boosters for current plane, 3 match swiss, rewards picks plus 1 bonus booster per win)
  • Planeswalker Draft (same as Draft except uses Planeswalker format with your current planeswalker)
  • Planeswalker Sealed (see above)
  • Commander War (works like Momir Basic, except pulls from your commanders for you and all commanders of the plane for your opponent)
  • Bounty Hunt (tags 3 random opponents on plane as bounties which you must seek out and defeat)
  • Gauntlet (must defeat 3 random opponents from current plane consecutively without losing)
Why 5 booster Sealed instead of 6 booster?

Commander War - By Momir Basic, do you mean it'll randomly cast spells from your collection?
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby drdev » 19 Apr 2016, 01:42

Changed sealed to 6. Was just a typo.

As for Commander War, it's literally the same as Momir Basic except with the random pool restricted to your commanders. Just need to figure out how to handle the case when there's no cards for the paid cost.
drdev
Programmer

Postby werkbau » 04 Aug 2016, 23:02

Is there any plan on when to include this on the desktop version of Forge? I tried this on an android emulator (unfortunately my phone is gingerbread which won't run Forge) and it was very fun, but the emulator is unwieldy to use regularly, as opposed to regular desktop Forge. I'd love to have it around even if it's incomplete.
werkbau

Postby schattenstern » 06 Aug 2016, 06:56

I also realy hope for conquest to be made avialable in the desktop version. I played it on my phone and it was very fun but i like playing at the pc so much more.
I realy like the commander style gameplay and unfortunatly there is no option to do this in the normal quests but only in conquest.
schattenstern

Postby drdev » 09 Aug 2016, 21:21

I have no immediate plan as to when it will get added, so for now it's an Android exclusive. Hopefully I can find some time to add it eventually, though first there's more I want to do with it on Android I think. Plus the UI for it may be difficult to translate to Swing.
drdev
Programmer

Postby mastroego » 09 Aug 2016, 22:19

Hmm.
Android only, as in, no other brand of tablets will do?
I even have one but I don't really use it (I'm an old fashioned PC guy); but I'd like to try this feature.
mastroego

Postby twosat » 05 Jul 2017, 07:56

mastroego wrote:Hmm.
Android only, as in, no other brand of tablets will do?
I even have one but I don't really use it (I'm an old fashioned PC guy); but I'd like to try this feature.
Me too.

[-o< And bringing this thread into focus again this way [-o<
twosat

Postby DimirMachine » 05 Jul 2017, 16:00

is this in the PC version? I just dowloaded version 1.5.65 and can't find it
DimirMachine

Next

Return to Developer's Corner