It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 12:39

Text Size

Puzzle Mode

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Puzzle Mode

Postby Agetian » 20 Dec 2017, 04:28

Thanks, Xitax!
Committed the puzzles reported as working. Still need to find time to look into that precast issue, will commit the other two once I get it sorted out. :)

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby Agetian » 21 Dec 2017, 06:15

Ok, I committed r36152 which fixes the Precast thing (the problem was with the absence of whitespace trimming, which only made it possible to add two or more precasts if there was no whitespace between them. Now it's possible to have the whitespace and it's correctly ignored).

Also, added a new parameter "NoETBTrigs" which allows to set up a card in such a way that its normal (automatic) ETB triggers and replacement effects are ignored (improves Clone in PC_122915, allows certain cards such as Sacred Foundry not to be obnoxious/confusing/potentially puzzle-breaking when entering the battlefield). This should actually *probably* be the default behavior for puzzles, although I was a bit scared of just changing the default behavior since I'm afraid it may break something, and my time is still quite scarce for more thorough debugging/testing...

Link to the commit:
http://svn.slightlymagic.net/websvn/rev ... &peg=36152

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby Xitax » 21 Dec 2017, 14:13

Thanks! That will be very useful for most cases. There is one case just recently when I wanted the ETB effect of Living Lore to exile the one card I put in the graveyard to set up the game state. That's the only example I can think of. I think making it default so you only need to tag cards as an exception would be fine, but it's ok either way around.

Could you please explain how this makes the Clone thing work right? I'm confused because Clone is an ETB effect. I put a target in the puzzle script, and w/o this tag the game would ask you for a target while setting up the puzzle. If you picked a different target, Clone would become that, but if you said "no" then it would work as intended.
Xitax

Postby Agetian » 21 Dec 2017, 20:04

Xitax wrote:Thanks! That will be very useful for most cases. There is one case just recently when I wanted the ETB effect of Living Lore to exile the one card I put in the graveyard to set up the game state. That's the only example I can think of. I think making it default so you only need to tag cards as an exception would be fine, but it's ok either way around.

Could you please explain how this makes the Clone thing work right? I'm confused because Clone is an ETB effect. I put a target in the puzzle script, and w/o this tag the game would ask you for a target while setting up the puzzle. If you picked a different target, Clone would become that, but if you said "no" then it would work as intended.
No problem!
And with this tag, Clone would skip the "ask the player for a target" part (basically, the auto-ETB part that normally fires), and will then run the scripted part only (which will basically perform the same function as the ETB effect, only in a user-controlled fashion). Hopefully this makes sense. :) And at least I hope that's how it'll function, I ran some simple tests and it looked fine, but let me know if something is wrong with it. :)

Or maybe it's easier to understand it this way: with the NoETBTrigs flag, the card doesn't actually try to ETB (and thus skips all the questions to the player and whatnot). Instead, the card is just placed on the battlefield as if it has already ETBed at some point in time earlier, and the only things that are set up for it are the things that you define in the puzzle file by yourself (so, if you call the clone script with a user-defined target, that will certainly run).

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby Ikeda » 27 Dec 2017, 02:26

Okay, here's the suite of three tutorial puzzles I've been working on. My apologies for the delay - it's been a busy few months!

This set of puzzles should cover the following three points:

1. Look for evasive abilities.
2. Count your available mana.
3. Ask why the cards are relevant.

Puzzles 1 and 2 are new, while the original tutorial puzzle I put together has been re-purposed as Puzzle 3. I'm fairly certain that I have the solutions right, but I'd gladly make some adjustments if someone points out any errors.
Attachments
forge_tutorials.zip
(2.62 KiB) Downloaded 659 times
Ikeda

Postby Agetian » 27 Dec 2017, 06:52

Thanks, Ikeda! Added them upstream.

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby Agetian » 02 Jan 2018, 06:50

Would anyone be willing to try their hand at coding the Possibility Storm puzzles for the Ixalan season, as well as Iconic Masters (there's one for IMA)?

http://www.possibilitystorm.com/ (check out post 041 and below)

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby Xitax » 07 Jan 2018, 20:08

Here you go. Solutions untested.
Attachments
PS_XLN_IMA.zip
(5.26 KiB) Downloaded 649 times
Xitax

Postby Agetian » 08 Jan 2018, 12:55

Xitax wrote:Here you go. Solutions untested.
Thanks a lot, Xitax! :) Will integrate upstream.
(btw, feel free to join in on our new Git-based development system which should allow you to submit merge requests for your contributions directly, too ;))

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby Agetian » 09 Apr 2018, 09:07

Rivals of Ixalan Possibility Storm puzzles are currently available on the Git (as a merge request), pending integration.

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby bigchase » 15 Apr 2019, 21:44

The "Lose Game by Decking" modal seems to be missing from dev mode options? The below linked wiki page describes it as a simple checkbox form element, but I can't find it anywhere in the desktop application?

www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge_DevMod ... By_Decking

Thnx
bigchase

Postby Alexey2666 » 20 Mar 2021, 13:45

I introduced such a puzzle on MTG.
There is one card in the library, but after the upkeep phase, the main phase immediately begins and and the card is not taken :(
Attachments
MTG Puzzles 5 Miracles of Nature.zip
(767 Bytes) Downloaded 334 times
puzzle.jpg
Alexey2666

Previous

Return to Developer's Corner