It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 12:21

Text Size

Quest mode draft rotation fix

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Quest mode draft rotation fix

Postby Seravy » 28 Jun 2017, 10:06

There is a "Draft Rotation" option for quest mode which does nothing. Furthermore, instead of rotating, quest drafts disappear at the time the new one shows up instead of being added.

This patch fixes that.
Each Draft gets replaced by a random other draft once "WINS_Draft_Rotation" turns elapsed instead of the previous behavior of it being removed without replacement after "WINS_NEW_DRAFT" turns.
QuestDraftRotationFix.txt
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Seravy

Re: Quest mode draft rotation fix

Postby KrazyTheFox » 28 Jun 2017, 18:29

Your fix for QuestEventDraft is correct, but QuestAchievements is not. The settings are purposefully separated so you can customize both how often you get a new draft and how long they stick around for. That said, they could use better names, as I can see where the confusion can arise.

Also, watch your whitespace. You're mixing spaces and tabs, which is generally not a good idea.
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby Seravy » 28 Jun 2017, 18:45

My impression is :
WINS_NEW_DRAFT is the number of turns until a new draft is created.
WINS_DRAFT_ROTATION is the number of turns it takes until an existing draft changes into different sets - basically, gets deleted and a new one created in place of it.

Am I wrong in that?
Seravy

Postby KrazyTheFox » 28 Jun 2017, 23:32

You are. WINS_DRAFT_ROTATION is just a poorly named version of "How long a draft should stick around before disappearing forever". There should not be another draft to take its place.
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby Seravy » 28 Jun 2017, 23:48

KrazyTheFox wrote:You are. WINS_DRAFT_ROTATION is just a poorly named version of "How long a draft should stick around before disappearing forever". There should not be another draft to take its place.
...I see...wait, I don't see, what is that good for?
Why would ANYONE want their draft to disappear permanently?
Challenges don't do that, drafts shouldn't either.
I've had dozens of challenges piled up before and I was able to do them all afterwards. (though I only got to choose from the first half a dozen or so, not all 40, they did show up when I cleared the others.)

Seriously, I see no reason for an option that makes unused drafts erased to even exist. If a player is not doing any drafts at all, they won't care. And if they do, they definitely want to keep them around - especially if the chance they change to a different set they like better exists.

I admit my fix is wrong but it makes a lot more sense.
Seravy

Postby KrazyTheFox » 08 Jul 2017, 21:35

The whole point of drafts was to provide something that's constantly changing and new. The drafts that you don't want to do will cycle out eventually and get replaced by different ones. Since the drafts appear 3-4 times faster than challenges by default, this was also done to keep the list from exploding if you're not doing the drafts. This has the added benefit of keeping save files smaller.

Rather than remove this functionality, it should be a preference. I like to play with rotating (and permanently disappearing) drafts and I'm sure others do, too. You don't and that's okay—this is all purely subjective.

As for the default functionality, I'd like to keep it the way I originally designed, but would not be opposed to making the opposite the default if there's enough support for it.
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby friarsol » 08 Jul 2017, 23:30

KrazyTheFox wrote:As for the default functionality, I'd like to keep it the way I originally designed, but would not be opposed to making the opposite the default if there's enough support for it.
I'd prefer the default case be the one that keeps the save files smaller.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Seravy » 09 Jul 2017, 10:29

Once the existing patches get added, I'll make an option for this, then.
Seravy

Return to Developer's Corner