It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 23:07

Text Size

Random rares, 10 random rares

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Random rares, 10 random rares

Postby Seravy » 30 Jun 2017, 13:32

I checked the percentage to win these.

Random rare is 50%. That's way too high, considering the rare is over 50% of the value in a pack, this is like a free pack every 4 wins that is hardcoded.

Random 10 rares is...well, not random. You get it on game 80, 160, 240, etc every 80th game.

There is no "Random common" or "Random uncommon" outside of win streaks.

I think these could use changes, and probably all of them should be options.
Seravy

Re: Random rares, 10 random rares

Postby Seravy » 30 Jun 2017, 14:09

Patch file :
Randomrewards.txt
(6.76 KiB) Downloaded 207 times

Adds options : Random common frequency, random uncommon frequency, random rare frequency, jackpot frequency.

Setting any of them to X mean a 1/X chance of winning that reward (so lower is more often).

Also changed the rare given by "random rare" and jackpot to be nonmythic rares. I believe mythics should not be handed out randomly, at least not this easily. That diminishes the incentive to open packs.
Seravy

Postby Agetian » 01 Jul 2017, 05:19

A very nice idea! I will integrate this patch, but I think it should be an optional change:

Whether mythics are to be handed out on jackpot or not is a matter of opinion and player's preference, so I think it should be an option as well (easy to do). One might argue that a jackpot on 80 wins is a big achievement (I don't know if enough people play quests that far, I usually stop around 50-60 wins, but once again, that's very personal), so they might like to see some mythics handed out to them.

Also, maybe the new system itself should be an option, toggleable in the Forge preferences (so, if it's disabled, the original 50%/65% random rare is applied, but if it's enabled, then the new frequencies system is used). The reason some people might prefer the original mode is it works better/more intuitively in Fantasy Mode, where a special Lucky Coin bazaar item upgrades the chance of getting a random rare by +15%. Under the new system, what it does is a little bit more counterintuitive and trickier to explain, since essentially you get a +15% chance of rolling another chance of getting either a random common, uncommon, or rare. :) Hope it makes sense...

Btw, the way we're usually coding Forge is - if something is a completely different behavior from how it used to be, we prefer to add it as an option, disabled by default but documented in CHANGES.txt and easy to enable (unless it's something so simple and straightforward that it's universally clear there will be no difference of opinion). Then we see how people react to it and what they think, and if the new mode is popular/well-approved, we make it enabled by default, possibly even removing the old behavior if it proves to be obsolete/unused.

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby Seravy » 01 Jul 2017, 09:32

Oh, there is a bazaar item for random rares? I don't use bazaar anymore so I forgot about that.
While I don't see a point in making this optional (you can set random rare frequency to 2 to have 50%, which is the same thing), the item definitely should work, I need to fix that.
Albeit, jackpot being non-random is something you can't do with this system, an option for that specifically would make sense.
Ok, I'll do that, give me about an hour.
Seravy

Postby Seravy » 01 Jul 2017, 09:54

Done, didn't even need an hour.

-New option "Old_Jackpot_System", set to 1 to get the "jackpot on every 80th win" behavior, otherwise it uses the new system.
-Lucky Coin adds a 15% chance to get a rare if, and only if, no rare was won through the base setting, and the base setting isn't zero (which means random rares are disabled). To get the old behavior, set "Random Rare Frequency" to 2. (It's slightly different though, as 65% is not the same as 50% and 15% rolled separately, but it's close enough.)
-New option "Random Rares Includes Mythics", if enabled, can get mythics as random rare. Defaults to enabled to make sure players too lazy to notice the option don't miss out on cards they wanted to have.

Fixed version attached.
Attachments
Randomrewards.txt
(8.91 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
Seravy

Postby Agetian » 01 Jul 2017, 10:28

Thanks! :) I'll look at the new version as soon as I have a chance!

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Return to Developer's Corner