It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 23:02

Text Size

Oathbreaker Variant ?

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Oathbreaker Variant ?

Postby rikimbo » 16 Jun 2019, 15:57

Hey devs,

How much of a lift is it to add support for the Oathbreaker (https://oathbreakermtg.org/rules/) variant to Forge? I noticed it was recently added to XMage. I wonder if we could follow suit with Forge.

For the most part, it looks like the brunt of it is adding a 2nd card in the command zone that is an Instant/Sorcery where the same rules apply as for a regular Commander, except for a few caveats that might require a bit of extra attention:
- The Signature Spell cannot be cast unless you control your Oathbreaker.
- The replacement effect that puts the Signature Spell in the Command Zone is not optional.

There's also this rule, which I think we get "for free" as long as we treat the "Oathbreaker" the same as any of the other Commander Planeswalkers (give the instance of the card the Commander property):
- Any card that refers to your Commander refers to your Oathbreaker.

What do you folks think? Am I missing anything?
rikimbo

Re: Oathbreaker Variant ?

Postby friarsol » 17 Jun 2019, 01:28

There's been some talk in the Discord. We haven't implemented it quite yet though.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Computica » 12 Jul 2019, 19:15

It easy to do Oath breaker you just have to move the instant/sorcery spell to the command zone using a text editor. Only issue is that you can cast your signature spell without your Oathbreaker in the field and the Signature spell must go into the command zone after use.
Computica

Postby Hanmac » 08 Aug 2019, 14:18

it gets even more complicated with partner commander

there you need to connect the Signiture Spell with its Oath Breaker, the current Deck Format doesn't support that
Hanmac

Postby drdev » 19 Aug 2019, 02:49

Happy to announce that I just put in a merge request for full Oathbreaker support. The only limitation is that I opted to not support partners, as there's only one pair of planewalker partners, and it would have greatly increased the complexity as Hanmac explained. Hopefully the update will be merged and released soon.
drdev
Programmer

Postby stormcat » 20 Aug 2019, 22:22

Maybe this is a very rudimentary question, how do I make a new deck for Oathbreaker?
stormcat

Postby drdev » 20 Aug 2019, 22:41

It's not out yet. Once it is, it'll work just like commander, except you need to specify both a Planeswalker and spell for the Commander/Oathbreaker section.
drdev
Programmer

Postby rikimbo » 28 Aug 2019, 23:55

I'm really happy someone is making this. Thanks drdev!

I checked out this commit to try it out: https://git.cardforge.org/core-develope ... 58392eaa7e

However, when I select the "Oathbreaker" checkbox, it shows me the Commander options in the drop-down to select a deck (although none of the decks show up there -- I guess they are all filtered out). There also isn't a tab for Oathbreaker in the Deck editor.

I'm noticing now that "Random Commander Decks" when I have Oathbreaker selected shows a bunch of Planeswalkers. Does that mean that Oathbreaker is actually treated as a subset of Commander? Do I have to use the Commander tab in the deck editor to build an Oathbreaker deck?
rikimbo

Postby vondes » 12 Apr 2020, 07:17

I am looking for a developer with excellent knowledge of Python to help me with some scripts. I am creating some software to be used in my code area https://areaphonecodes.com/united-states/469. If you happen to be my neighbor, it would be perfect. Do not hesitate to contact me directly for more details. Actually, I have many regular projects of this type, if you are interested.
vondes

Postby Nickel97 » 18 Aug 2020, 04:22

Has this feature been added? I see "Oathbreaker" as a format, but no way to make Oathbreaker decks in the deck editor.
Nickel97

Postby rikimbo » 04 Jan 2021, 02:55

Sorry for the late reply, but to answer your question I'd say Oathbreaker is partially supported. It functions perfectly well as long as you have decks, but it doesn't dedicated editor page for it (like Commander, Tiny Leaders, etc).

You can get it to work by building a 60-card deck using the regular editor, saving the deck, and editing the .dck file with at ext editor afterwards. You just have to move your Oathbreaker and Signature Spell to the [Commander] section and then copy the .dck file to decks/oathbreaker.

Code: Select all
[metadata]
Name=Tamiyo Oathbreaker
[Commander]
1 Tamiyo, Field Researcher|EMN
1 Eerie Interlude|SOI
[Main]
(...)
rikimbo

Return to Developer's Corner