It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 18:01

Text Size

MOVEDtoGITHUB_Play a Horde Magic frmt using a custom card

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

MOVEDtoGITHUB_Play a Horde Magic frmt using a custom card

Postby Xanxer » 07 Jan 2020, 01:54

Hello all,
It's been a long time since I've updated this and have now created a git repo that contains the various Horde format files and other custom formats and even some custom formats like some of the starwars the gathering sets.

The format card scripts are very much still a working in progress.

The card script I primarily use as my main Horde format is "hordelikeformat". It has the basic Horde format rules but with some custom additions. Add this card to any of your decks and start a match. When the match starts the card will trigger and a serious of questions and choice scripts will follow.

I welcome any contributions to the scripts or suggestions to help improve/optimize them to make them run more smoothly and playable for the Ai or even adding features to the format(s).

git repo: https://github.com/xanxer6rB/forge-custom-scripts.git
Last edited by Xanxer on 16 Oct 2023, 04:22, edited 10 times in total.
Xanxer

Re: Play a Horde format using a custom Vanguard avatar

Postby rikimbo » 02 Feb 2020, 21:25

This is a really cool idea! It's clever how you solved the problem of having "token" cards in the deck by creating custom cards, and using an Avatar to script the Horde rules.

I used what you shared here to make a simpler version of your extensive set of rules/events, to codify just the base Horde rules from the Horde Magic wiki page. I'll share my version in this post.

Here's some of the changes I made from your version:
- Changed the Horde turn's upkeep trigger to create token copies of the revealed Horde cards, instead of putting them directly onto the battlefield. (I wanted them to still be tokens, mechanically.)
- Whenever a "Horde" card goes into the graveyard, exile it. (Avoid a pile of tokens in the graveyard pumping up Soulless One.)
- Made creatures the Horde controls have haste, attack each turn is able, and can't block.
- Changed win condition to count cards in library and creatures only (as opposed to permanents).
- Used "you can't lose" and "you can't win" conditions to blanket cover all of the reasons the horde could lose (0 life, poison counters, commander damage, etc).
- Tweaked the "setup turns" implementation. Horde skips its first two turns. If the Horde goes first, it ends the turn immediately. (Not perfect... Means as the player you always want to go 2nd to get the extra card draw.)
- Made Horde cards for 2/2 Zombie token and 5/5 Zombie Giant token. Slightly different names than yours, and set to "no cost" for mana cost.
- Added a dummy Survivor Avatar that has no abilities.
- Created an edition file for the Horde avatars and tokens to make setting pictures easier (Horde.txt).

Archive contains the following files:
- HordeAvatar.txt, HordeZombie22.txt, HordeZombieGiant55.txt, SurvivorAvatar.txt: Card scripts to be placed in a folder alongside cardsfolder.zip.
- Horde.txt: Edition file. Goes in res/editions.
- Zombie Horde Original.dck: Zombie Horde deck from the original QuetSpeculation.com article. Place in decks/constructed.
Attachments
riks_zombie_horde.zip
(3.59 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
rikimbo

Re:UPDATE_Play a Horde Magic frmt using a custom Vanguard av

Postby Xanxer » 19 Feb 2020, 04:43

Hello all
I've noticed some cards weren't recognized by the Ai and had been misspelled.
about 14 Horde creatures or so and while updating them I have made a another game that involves ricksHordeMagic rules and Planeswalkers coming from the Hordes sideboard.

Inspired by a Mk survival tower feel and using Planeswalkers as the "opponents" in addition to having ricks Horde Magic rules. Calling it "Hunt of the Planeswalkers Horde"
You utilize the side board as a sort of "tower" that can have up to 193 different Planeswalkers that at the start of the game a Planeswalker is randomly chosen from the sideboard and put onto the battlerfield. Whenever a Planewalker the Horde controls leave the battlefield or dies another one will be randomly chosen from the Hordes side board and put onto the Hordes battlefield.

A test deck I used was just adding 5 liliana to the Original Zombie Horde Magic deck.

In this game I've added to the win condition
to ricksHordeMagic rules to include:
if Horde has a Planeswalker in its SideBorde: the Horde cannot win.
and
if Horde has noPlanewalkers in its SideBoard: opponent wins the game("You Have Survived the Game")

Both ricksHordeMagic and "Hunt of the Planeswalkers Horde" are included in the folder as separate game files.

File Locations:
Put Horde folder in /cardsfolder/horde
the same folder that has the cardsfolder.zip
horde.txt file within the /editions/horde.txt

##########

Check first post for most updated Horde format custom card.

##########
Xanxer

Return to Developer's Corner