It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 18:35

Text Size

French Translation

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

French Translation

Postby krevett » 25 Apr 2021, 14:41

Hello, back after a very long break!
I see that new versions of Forge now support translations, unfortunately French is not one of them.

For my personal use I started one (In fact I don't mind it's just that I want my son to try the game and he's quite young for now so no english for him ;) ), but I just wanted to know if anyone else was already working on this? If no I will submit my translation once it's done (just started today so it may take a while!)

For the cards oracle text I suppose using gatherer extractor + an excel macro to format the txt file should do the job?
Thanks for your answers!
krevett

Re: French Translation

Postby krevett » 25 Apr 2021, 18:14

Ok, so the cards text are very easy to translate, in fact there's no work just a macro and gatherer data so it should be done within 2 days (it takes time to extract data with gatherer extractor...)

The UI will take longer but I will post the few translated lines as well as all the cards as a start (having card text in french for my son was the priority, not the UI btw).
krevett

Postby twosat » 26 Apr 2021, 06:43

Hi there, i'm doing the german UI translation.
I'm using the translater tool churrufli has created. It makes identifying (new) lines that need to bee tanslated so much easier.
https://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21514
Now and then there are new lines. So it's an ongoing project, no end in sight...

I recommend to get on the discord channel and to get an access to the git project.
With the translator you can compare your translation with the newest english file. Then you can either work in the translator on untranslated lines and upload your file to git, or work directly in git. I preferr the second.
On discord there is a translation subject in the forge channel for translation discussion. And you can get in contact with churrufli, who is doing a great portion of making the UI translatable.

Hmmh, i never translated card or oracle texts. They are downloaded by forge, don't ask me how. I think there has to be a translation file of your preffered language und you have to switch to that language. Then Forge should download the corresponding card texts, i guess.

I started translating because of my young sons too. :)
twosat

Postby twosat » 26 Apr 2021, 07:20

Oh, and you can use the gatherer extractor to download french card pics.
https://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=4021
Sadly not all sets are downloadable in foreign languages, even if they have been printed in paper.
For older sets you should give older programms a try. Sometimes they have old sets in their (old) databases. Usually these programms are not up-to.date and abandonded. So i installed them, extracted all german card pics i could get out of them and got rid of them.
Card pics in your own language can somestimes help to understand what's going on. :D
twosat

Postby krevett » 26 Apr 2021, 07:57

I tried french pics from gatherer but many (too many in fact) old sets are missing (ex tempest block, apocalypse block, etc...) and quality is even below LQ from forge auto download.

For cards oracle translation no problem I looked at the german txt file to see how it was done and extracted a sample from gatherer and formated the txt file from an excel macro and it gets the job done! Now I'm extracting data for all cards with gatherer (12h remaining, conversion takes less than 5 seconds!)
krevett

Postby krevett » 26 Apr 2021, 08:06

For the UI for now I started with the properties file from latest version (40)
krevett

Postby twosat » 26 Apr 2021, 09:54

That's the right starting point.

For the older sets i used Magic Album (ENG, some GER, RUS and ITA). But no french pics there. I checked it some minutes ago.
twosat

Postby krevett » 27 Apr 2021, 07:02

Card extraction is done, however there's some bits where the gatherer did not provide french data (like apocalypse split cards), so I'll have to complete a few entries in the txt file otherwise it looks good.
krevett

Postby twosat » 29 Nov 2021, 21:07

Only proffessionals can do a translation? I have strongly to disagree. If you are a native speaker of the target language and are not new to magic and forge then you CAN do a translation. Without loss of meaning.
The forge UI has a manageable amount of text. And card text usually don't need translation. It's done by WOTC themselves.
It looks to me you are just promotion the linked service.
twosat

Postby syevael111 » 02 Mar 2023, 13:39

Thanks for your post. It is very useful your can also get help from
syevael111

Return to Developer's Corner