It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 19:47

Text Size

Network Multiplayer (Multi-human players)

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Network Multiplayer (Multi-human players)

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 03 Nov 2014, 05:05

We can put it on cardforge.org of course...

It would be really cool if it could be hosted on multiple servers which keep each other updated.
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby elcnesh » 03 Nov 2014, 07:25

I have some domain names (external hosting, which includes php and sql) which we could use :) But of course cardfore.org makes the most sense ;)
elcnesh

Postby drdev » 03 Nov 2014, 15:52

cardforge.org is the first thing I thought of, but it doesn't seem to have PHP and MySQL support from what I could tell. I tried connecting to it using WebMatrix with my FTP credentials that I use for publish Android builds, but it was returning that cardforge does not support PHP.

If that's not the case, could somebody tell me how to publish PHP to and create a MySQL database on cardforge?
drdev
Programmer

Postby friarsol » 03 Nov 2014, 16:02

drdev wrote:cardforge.org is the first thing I thought of, but it doesn't seem to have PHP and MySQL support from what I could tell. I tried connecting to it using WebMatrix with my FTP credentials that I use for publish Android builds, but it was returning that cardforge does not support PHP.
Probably just your credentials are only setup for FTPing. If you goto the cardforge website, the index redirects you to /index.php and I'm pretty sure the Mantis Bug Tracker (that we tried to use for a little bit) requires a Database (which is probably MySQL)
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Fizanko » 03 Nov 2014, 17:11

Please, make that tracking of players by a server/database/whatever something optional and not forced on players that may not agree to being tracked by a server while playing Forge.
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Duel Decks for Forge - Forge custom decks (updated 25/10/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby drdev » 03 Nov 2014, 20:03

Fizanko wrote:Please, make that tracking of players by a server/database/whatever something optional and not forced on players that may not agree to being tracked by a server while playing Forge.
It will be optional. As I've designed it in my head, you can either enter an IP address manually, post a game to this "server" for others to find, or click on one of those postings to challenge someone who already created a game. There will be no login required, and the only thing that will ever be shared if you create a game is your IP address, player name and avatar, and game format information. If you choose to join a game someone else posted, then this information will only be sent to that person and not the "server".

Once a game has its players, the "server" no longer plays a role. Instead, one player's machine will act as the game server that the others will communicate with via sockets.

Does that make sense?
drdev
Programmer

Postby elcnesh » 03 Nov 2014, 20:33

Sounds good! The only other thing I think we should communicate is the Forge version number, to prevent mixed versions causing crashes in network games :P
elcnesh

Postby drdev » 04 Nov 2014, 00:33

elcnesh wrote:Sounds good! The only other thing I think we should communicate is the Forge version number, to prevent mixed versions causing crashes in network games :P
Yeah, I was planning to prevent playing against someone who's not on the same major version as you. Or maybe just disable network support unless you're on the most recent major version (it'd be a nice way to encourage people to update).
drdev
Programmer

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 05 Nov 2014, 05:06

drdev wrote:cardforge.org is the first thing I thought of, but it doesn't seem to have PHP and MySQL support from what I could tell. I tried connecting to it using WebMatrix with my FTP credentials that I use for publish Android builds, but it was returning that cardforge does not support PHP.

If that's not the case, could somebody tell me how to publish PHP to and create a MySQL database on cardforge?
As friarsol postulated, it's a different set of credentials for mysql access. PHP should execute from just about any folder. Send me a PM to discuss what you need.
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby drdev » 07 Nov 2014, 20:22

Rob Cashwalker wrote:

As friarsol postulated, it's a different set of credentials for mysql access. PHP should execute from just about any folder. Send me a PM to discuss what you need.
I sent you a PM a few days ago but haven't heard back. Just following up on here in case you never got my PM.
drdev
Programmer

Postby MIC132 » 21 Dec 2014, 17:19

What is the current progress on this feature?
MIC132

Postby Hikarius » 24 Jan 2015, 12:45

Hello, I want to try programming Network Multiplayer for Forge can anybody give me your sources of last developments in this case that I can branch your code and did not start from scratch ? (sorry for my bad english)
Hikarius

Postby Max mtg » 26 Jan 2015, 12:23

Has anyone written a multiplayer engine yet? :)
Single class for single responsibility.
Max mtg
Programmer

Postby elcnesh » 26 Jan 2015, 12:25

Nope. Also I don't have anything to add to the svn right now. Maybe Dan does, but otherwise I'd say: go ahead with experimenting on HEAD :)
elcnesh

Postby drdev » 26 Jan 2015, 15:51

I am not actively working on anything beyond the TrackableObject stuff that's already done. So anyone interested in working on this should feel free to do so off of the code currently in trunk.
drdev
Programmer

PreviousNext

Return to Developer's Corner