Play Cards with Cockatrice

Moderators: mbruker, CCGHQ Admins

Postby Huggybaby » 20 Sep 2009, 02:12

I just found this link over at MTG Salvation:

http://www.cockatrice.de/index.php?a=project
As announced here: http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=38730.0

Project description
Cockatrice is an open-source multiplatform software for playing card games, such as Magic: The Gathering, over a network. It is fully client-server based to prevent any kind of cheating, though extensible to allow single-player games without a network interface as well. Both client and server are written in Qt 4.

License
Cockatrice is fully GPL licensed and thus free software.

Development status
Cockatrice is being actively developed by Max-Wilhelm Bruker (brukie at gmx dot net) and Marcus Schütz. At the moment, while it is fully possible to use Cockatrice for playtesting purposes, it is not ready for online tournaments yet due to the lack of sideboarding and other important functions. We aim to resolve these issues shortly.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Re: Play Cards with Cockatrice

Postby Snacko » 20 Sep 2009, 09:37

Overall it looks ok, however it's lacking basic functionality like "play with your top library card revealed", named counters, and some other minor things.

It seems it can be a MWS spiritual successor and as it's open source it can be improved. If the client checking is done properly it also means it's cheat free as advertised (not rules wise as there's no rule engine and it depends on your and your opponents rules knowledge).
Snacko
DEVELOPER

Postby Huggybaby » 29 Sep 2009, 03:30

I want to welcome mbruker and blackrabbit to our forum. We look forward to good things in the future!
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby jackdenial » 27 Jan 2010, 04:20

I thought the upgrade on dragons actually looked pretty favorable for god-killer decks before,assuming you had fully upgraded pillars; even at half upgraded getting enough quanta is rarely an issue for me,and they offered more bang for your buck long-term.Now that the base dragons have been nerfed,it seems like a no-brainer.Immortals probably won't work well against the gods--any damage reduction and you can kiss your chances of winning goodbye,and even without damage reduction you've still got a long, slow fight that will probably run you out of shields and possibly deck you.In PvP they're definitely the way to go now,but I think people tended to overestimate dragons compared to immortals in PvP to begin with.
jackdenial

Postby lugaru » 26 Oct 2011, 14:23

When I first tried cockatrice a while back I hated it, but now I'm using it a bit, very good for casual gaming against strangers.
lugaru

-

Postby Timsoymn » 07 Apr 2021, 21:40

Hi,

among a bounch of cards I got from e-bay I found some from different set with a grey border and a capital D in a white circle on the right side. Any idea of the origin of these cards? Thanks
Timsoymn

Postby proud » 14 Apr 2021, 06:40

White bordered? Deckmasters
aka ancestral, mproud
MTG.Design
proud

Return to Cockatrice